Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The New Mutants

From CinemaCon, Disney still has The New Mutants in their release timeline for 2019.

That... is actually quite surprising. I truly thought this would be something they would push directly to streaming (Hulu). Granted, there's still a lot of time in between now and it's release for things to change.

Also, according to Maisie Williams, they haven't even done their re-shoots yet.

That... is actually quite surprising. I truly thought this would be something they would push directly to streaming (Hulu). Granted, there's still a lot of time in between now and it's release for things to change.

Also, according to Maisie Williams, they haven't even done their re-shoots yet.

That's what I'm counting on. Right now, it's scheduled to go up against Hobbs & Shaw and Dora the Explorer with Artemis Fowl hitting cinemas a week later.

I honestly think it's just better at this point for Fox to admit they goofed up delaying the film, move it to Hulu, and cut their losses because the rest of the year is stacked in terms of movies.

Two years after its original release date!

From a certain point of view, the fact that it's still on the Disney/Fox theatrical slate at all is a good sign; if Disney didn't think they could make something out of what they've got, they would have probably just dumped it to Hulu.

From a certain point of view, the fact that it's still on the Disney/Fox theatrical slate at all is a good sign; if Disney didn't think they could make something out of what they've got, they would have probably just dumped it to Hulu.

Yeah- nothing is a better sign than being pushed two years back. Nothing ever goes wrong then... :)

Why would they want to damage Hulu's brand like that with what's sure to be a terrible movie, though?

I don't think that's in any way guaranteed.

But even if it were, I don't know that a theatrical release would somehow be less of a risk than putting it on Hulu. It would certainly be less expensive for the studio than a full theatrical push.

To say some opinions,

I have to wonder then; when the reshoots begin, as this will mark the first time for Disney to be tackling the Mutants. Even if it isn't the MCU, and if Marvel Studios isn't as involved (which..I actually think they might have some involvement); that they have stated that there would be re-shoots in the past.

The fact that they are opening it at the beginning of April, makes me think that Disney is more optimistic that they might see elements of income come in for this film. And I think at this point, if they wanted to move this to Hulu; they wouldn't of made the push to have it keep a theatrical date. And if it was coming to Hulu, I would think they would've wanted to bring it up, when they announced Ghost Rider and Helstorm.

Part of it could also be about there just being a lot of comic book movies this year as is: Hellboy, 3 MCU, Dark Phoenix, 2 DCEU, etc. I may be missing some. Taking some extra time to make the movie better can't hurt as it likely would've gotten buried in the release date they had it in, which was right next to Spider-Man FFH.

Part of it could also be about there just being a lot of comic book movies this year as is: Hellboy, 3 MCU, Dark Phoenix, 2 DCEU, etc. I may be missing some. Taking some extra time to make the movie better can't hurt as it likely would've gotten buried in the release date they had it in, which was right next to Spider-Man FFH.

Truth be told, it was actually a month ahead of Spider-Man, as it would've been the second to last comic book film of the year (Spawn doesn't have a release date, and TNM would've been two months out from having any form of competition in the superhero market after Spidey).

In January, TNM was in a state of Post-Production, as the film was given reshoots (but was for reasons that @Fallow I believe mentioned).

What's that mean?
It means Disney doesn't think the film is any good and given Dark Phoenix's recent box office's disaster, they're probably gun shy on spending marketing money on an X-Men movie that not only probably isn't any good, but is the last one made before the characters start appearing in the MCU.

I think Disney is using this as an excuse to promote their streaming services and destroy the last remaining Fox Marvel movies so as to speed up the integration of X-Men into the MCU. Maybe the New Mutants is actually good, but Disney decides to can the theatrical movie anyway and release it on Hulu or Disney +.

I think Disney is using this as an excuse to promote their streaming services and destroy the last remaining Fox Marvel movies so as to speed up the integration of X-Men into the MCU. Maybe the New Mutants is actually good, but Disney decides to can the theatrical movie anyway and release it on Hulu or Disney +.
By all reports, there's been a lot of problems with this film so i'm expecting a stinker.