1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The New Mutants

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by AlexanderMBush, Oct 13, 2017.

1. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

Actually, I don't believe they are anymore, but I may be mistaken.

That said, I am not going to be shocked if TNM then becomes a Hulu Original along with other Marvel projects that are darker.

2. AlexanderMBush

From CinemaCon, Disney still has The New Mutants in their release timeline for 2019.

3. HereWeGo

HereWeGo Member

That... is actually quite surprising. I truly thought this would be something they would push directly to streaming (Hulu). Granted, there's still a lot of time in between now and it's release for things to change.

Also, according to Maisie Williams, they haven't even done their re-shoots yet.

4. TheGentTrent

TheGentTrent Member

That's what I'm counting on. Right now, it's scheduled to go up against Hobbs & Shaw and Dora the Explorer with Artemis Fowl hitting cinemas a week later.

I honestly think it's just better at this point for Fox to admit they goofed up delaying the film, move it to Hulu, and cut their losses because the rest of the year is stacked in terms of movies.

5. AlexanderMBush

And the saying goes,

The New Mutants now is shifted AGAIN, but this time to April 3rd of next year.

SeventyOne and LintemuthStudios like this.
  6. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

WTF

7. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    Two years after its original release date!

From a certain point of view, the fact that it's still on the Disney/Fox theatrical slate at all is a good sign; if Disney didn't think they could make something out of what they've got, they would have probably just dumped it to Hulu.

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  8. Andysol

Andysol Veteran Member

Yeah- nothing is a better sign than being pushed two years back. Nothing ever goes wrong then... :)

belloq87 likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Why would they want to damage Hulu's brand like that with what's sure to be a terrible movie, though?

10. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I don't think that's in any way guaranteed.

But even if it were, I don't know that a theatrical release would somehow be less of a risk than putting it on Hulu. It would certainly be less expensive for the studio than a full theatrical push.

11. AlexanderMBush

To say some opinions,

I have to wonder then; when the reshoots begin, as this will mark the first time for Disney to be tackling the Mutants. Even if it isn't the MCU, and if Marvel Studios isn't as involved (which..I actually think they might have some involvement); that they have stated that there would be re-shoots in the past.

The fact that they are opening it at the beginning of April, makes me think that Disney is more optimistic that they might see elements of income come in for this film. And I think at this point, if they wanted to move this to Hulu; they wouldn't of made the push to have it keep a theatrical date. And if it was coming to Hulu, I would think they would've wanted to bring it up, when they announced Ghost Rider and Helstorm.

12. Nick

Part of it could also be about there just being a lot of comic book movies this year as is: Hellboy, 3 MCU, Dark Phoenix, 2 DCEU, etc. I may be missing some. Taking some extra time to make the movie better can't hurt as it likely would've gotten buried in the release date they had it in, which was right next to Spider-Man FFH.

13. AlexanderMBush

Truth be told, it was actually a month ahead of Spider-Man, as it would've been the second to last comic book film of the year (Spawn doesn't have a release date, and TNM would've been two months out from having any form of competition in the superhero market after Spidey).

In January, TNM was in a state of Post-Production, as the film was given reshoots (but was for reasons that @Fallow I believe mentioned).

14. Nick

15. Paulio

Paulio Member

16. Nick

It means Disney doesn't think the film is any good and given Dark Phoenix's recent box office's disaster, they're probably gun shy on spending marketing money on an X-Men movie that not only probably isn't any good, but is the last one made before the characters start appearing in the MCU.

17. Paulio

Paulio Member

I think Disney is using this as an excuse to promote their streaming services and destroy the last remaining Fox Marvel movies so as to speed up the integration of X-Men into the MCU. Maybe the New Mutants is actually good, but Disney decides to can the theatrical movie anyway and release it on Hulu or Disney +.

18. Nick

By all reports, there's been a lot of problems with this film so i'm expecting a stinker.

AlexanderMBush likes this.