Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

I was debating mention that aspect, but yeah, it's eyebrow-raising that Disney is unblocking CM's. One could argue that everything is running so smoothly that they're able to allow more people in, but this can also be easily taken that the park is getting a little too quiet for Disney's comfort. After all it's Summer, if a park is quiet, something's amiss.

Now if they start unblocking AP'rs before September, ooooohhh boy.
The sad thing is, it may be uncomfortable for them, but the park is much more enjoyable in its current state and keeps satisfaction high for the customers who ARE there. Not saying that’s good nor bad just saying that at the very least they are going to have relatively high customer satisfaction right now.

I don't think we should consider this underperforming in the slightest. People are buying $200 lightsabers and $100 droids in a space where the biggest income driver was a modestly attended BBQ restaurant. Same thing happened with Diagon. It was underperforming because lines weren't out the door to get in. But the people that WERE in were buying $50 wands, $115 robes, and literally trading in their cash for "Gringotts money." Ultimately, the additional money spent per guest is where they win.

I don't think we should consider this underperforming in the slightest. People are buying $200 lightsabers and $100 droids in a space where the biggest income driver was a modestly attended BBQ restaurant. Same thing happened with Diagon. It was underperforming because lines weren't out the door to get in. But the people that WERE in were buying $50 wands, $115 robes, and literally trading in their cash for "Gringotts money." Ultimately, the additional money spent per guest is where they win.
and let’s really think about that! Buying a product in the park that is more than the one day admission to the park lol

Was Big Thunder Ranch BBQ doing that bad? I usually had a hard time making same day reservations. When I tried in the morning, lunch was usually booked so I had to opt for dinner.

I saw a tweet from someone who wanted to see GE, but was afraid to go because they weren't sure they'd get in. I think that could be a fair number of the people who are staying away, as well as those who are waiting for RotR to open up.

I still think this was the smart way for Disney to do this. "Underperforming" with low crowds but with high guest satisfaction will bring people back.

I mean, what was the alternative for Disney to do? The feared AP/guest free-for-all total overcrowding, overnight lines, wall-to-wall people, gridlock at the parking structure... was there anyone who actually wanted to see that? I swear, for some people, this is a "heads I win, tails you lose" situation.

USH has 6 rides. Disneyland has over 20. Forbidden Journey should have a 10 hour wait. Bad comparison tbh

And Disneyland is the most attended theme park in the world.

And one of Uni's ride is a world renowned backlot tour that lasts longer than well over half of Disneyland's rides combined.

Plus, Universal didn't just drop a billion dollars of capital into the park.

So.......

And Disneyland is the most attended theme park in the world.

And one of Uni's ride is a world renowned backlot tour that lasts longer than well over half of Disneyland's rides combined.

Plus, Universal didn't just drop a billion dollars of capital into the park.

So.......

What is your argument?

First of all, Disney World holds the attendance crown.

Second, this wasn’t a UNI vs Disneyland debate. I was only making reference to the post that bashed Smugglers Run wait time today as it was less than that of Forbidden Journey. I found this stat to be skewed seeing as though Uni has about 6 rides and Disneyland has more than 35, resort wide. (Not to mention the incredible capacity of Smugglers.)

I saw a tweet from someone who wanted to see GE, but was afraid to go because they weren't sure they'd get in. I think that could be a fair number of the people who are staying away,.

I think you are spot on with this! Just today I was questioned by a friend on how I was able to visit Galaxy’s edge and if I “knew someone”

I think local media has hammered home this reservation period to the point where most people think they can’t even get in anymore without some sort of “in”

I think you are spot on with this! Just today I was questioned by a friend on how I was able to visit Galaxy’s edge and if I “knew someone”

I think local media has hammered home this reservation period to the point where most people think they can’t even get in anymore without some sort of “in”
Even all the advertisements for the land had the words “reservation required” and I’m sure many people misinterpreted the days in which you don’t need one anymore. We on these forums are so well informed compared to the average guest. Then you have Disney scaring everyone with “subject to capacity” written all over the place for visits after June 24th.

Remember when I said that the backlash from the sequel trilogy would probably not make this the smash-hit they thought this would be? I think that might have something to do with it.

No. No it doesn't.

This is a very deliberate, phased-opening. The only mistake Disney made here was realizing how much Disneyland relies on locals for major attendance. Time to start unblocking those APs, folks.

For me, this comes down to the fact Star Wars is a huuuge IP to have (perhaps the biggest?) and despite all these factors with one ride open/black-out dates etc, people should still really want to go and see it.

There should have been long lines waiting to get in to the land because after all - it’s Star Wars! The fact there isn’t should be a cause for concern. Doesn’t mean the land is a failure or they’re not making their money back, but there should’ve been crowds.

Good news is the ride seems to actually open when the park does.....sorry for the low blow.

Do you ever post anything positive? All you seem to do is complain about Hagrids/Universal.

Hmm it looks like the word got out so well nobody wanted to brave today, so they didn't. It either picks up really quick once word gets out, or it seems SWGE is seriously under-performing their estimates. It may have been a mistake to open up without Rise of the Resistance. I personally wasn't that fond of Smugglers Run when I went out there last week.

Makes sense opening it in phases though. If they waited for RotR then the rest of the land would just be sitting there for months