Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Orlando August 1 Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn’t really a “big” theme park IP out there if LOTR is a no. How to train your dragon is a perfect fit for FW. Gives you the chance for a highly themed E-ticket, beautiful land theming, great meet and greet chance, and some smaller attractions. There is no other fantasy IP out there that makes more sense for FW if LOTR isn’t coming.

God help me if someone says GOT.

There isn’t really a “big” theme park IP out there if LOTR is a no. How to train your dragon is a perfect fit for FW. Gives you the chance for a highly themed E-ticket, beautiful land theming, great meet and greet chance, and some smaller attractions. There is no other fantasy IP out there that makes more sense for FW if LOTR isn’t coming.

God help me if someone says GOT.

GOT is pretty much dead anyways. The last season was a dud.

I remember a time where theme park attractions used to lead to movies. Not the other way around.

Not to derail this thread or anything but that's kind of grasping at straws. Sure, Disney has drawn inspiration from a few of their rides (Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise) and made films, but most of the Disneyland and Magic Kingdom attractions were based on Disney movies - using movies as inspiration for rides is nothing new.

I remember a time where theme park attractions used to lead to movies. Not the other way around.
Swiss Family Robinsons was a movie.
Jungle Cruise was based on The African Queen
Pirate movies/books (Treasure Island) were huge in the 40s/50s
Tom Sawyer’s Island
Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone had TV shows...
All of Fantasyland

I mean, opening day Disneyland was FILLED with IPs...

giphy.gif

It will. How to Train Your Dragon.

Universal not having LOTR is not for lack of trying. It’s just not gonna happen.

You're forgetting about Classic Monsters. That's a pretty big IP, although it may not seem like it right now.

These could both give you a big castle and a spooky dark ride, but they are at total opposite ends of the IP spectrum for both child friendly, and current marketability. Remember the Tom Cruise Mummy was supposed to kickstart the whole Universal Monsters Universe. It did not.

HTTYD is popular, but not gangbusters popular. But I guess they could just clone a ride from Beijing that way.

I don't see the Monsters lending themselves to rides that well. Old movies simply didn't have much go on in them. Sure, you could storm Frankenstein's Castle, go through the Swamp. Enter Drac's castle. I guess an "All Monsters" dark ride would work, just like they are doing with HHN this year. But then, besides a really cool dining possibility (much more than Monster's Cafe), that would be it. I mean, a Frankenstein inside coaster and Dracula's castle dark ride would be cool, but would they be FANTASTIC in 2023?

There isn’t any gangbusters popular IP left. HTTYD is a great idea for a land. Kids love dragons and will love to see Toothless.

If we’re arguing monsters not being “kid friendly” then why waste money on LOTR. No one really under the age of 30 cares much about it anymore.

Sorry if I'm late to this whole thread but here's my whole prediction thing for the conference
~ Whole thing on the past of the park
~ Bourne show announcement
~ Jurrassic World overhaul + Rollercoaster
~ Volcano Bay expansion
~ Fantastic Worlds reveal. Reveal includes logo, opening year (2023-2025), blue sky concept art of whole park and some vague-ish details on lands and attractions.

These could both give you a big castle and a spooky dark ride, but they are at total opposite ends of the IP spectrum for both child friendly, and current marketability. Remember the Tom Cruise Mummy was supposed to kickstart the whole Universal Monsters Universe. It did not.

HTTYD is popular, but not gangbusters popular. But I guess they could just clone a ride from Beijing that way.

I don't see the Monsters lending themselves to rides that well. Old movies simply didn't have much go on in them. Sure, you could storm Frankenstein's Castle, go through the Swamp. Enter Drac's castle. I guess an "All Monsters" dark ride would work, just like they are doing with HHN this year. But then, besides a really cool dining possibility (much more than Monster's Cafe), that would be it. I mean, a Frankenstein inside coaster and Dracula's castle dark ride would be cool, but would they be FANTASTIC in 2023?
I believe Van Helsing was an almost thing using the FJ technology before Potter, and they instead used much of that for FJ....and that's one of the best rides in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.