Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Sony/Marvel Spider-Man Deal

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Disney-Sony Standoff Spins Doubt On Kevin Feige’s Spider-Man Future – Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige won’t produce any further Spider-Man films because of an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward. A dispute that has taken place over the past few months at the top of Disney and Sony has essentially nixed Feige, and the future involvement of Marvel from the Spider-Man universe, sources said.

This comes at a moment when the last two films Kevin Feige produced broke all-time records — Disney’s Avengers: Endgame became the highest grossing film of all time, and Spider-Man: Far From Home this week surpassed the James Bond film Skyfallto become the all time highest grossing film for Sony Pictures.

There might be a deal to be had here, but the reality is that Sony has complete control over the profits of Spiderman movies and has no incentive to give up any of that.

On Disney's end, they didn't want to keep giving Spiderman one of their MCU slots while not earning a much bigger share of the profits.

At this point, I think both sides will probably walk away given that Sony wants to create their own Spiderman-centric universe and Holland's version already has the MCU branding, so I don't see why they'd give up anything from their position.

This is bad news. Sony, on their own, have not delivered a quality live-action Spider-Man movie since 2004. Are we to believe that Kevin Feige's creative instincts have rubbed off on Amy Pascal? I do not expect the next solo Spider-Man movie to be very good in light of all this.

But what is perhaps even worse is the implication that Tom Holland's Spidey is now done appearing in Disney's MCU films.

And at the same time, this was Disney getting greedy, pure and simple, and botching a good arrangement.

So uhh, what does this mean for Spiderman attractions?

It probably means the Spider-Man featured in DCA's upcoming ride will be a "generic" Spidey, not Tom Holland.

This is bad news. Sony, on their own, have not delivered a quality live-action Spider-Man movie since 2004. Are we to believe that Kevin Feige's creative instincts have rubbed off on Amy Pascal? I do not expect the next solo Spider-Man movie to be very good in light of all this.

But what is perhaps even worse is the implication that Tom Holland's Spidey is now done appearing in Disney's MCU films.

And at the same time, this was Disney getting greedy, pure and simple, and botching a good arrangement.

It probably means the Spider-Man featured in DCA's upcoming ride will be a "generic" Spidey, not Tom Holland.
Pascal is leaving, which I think is playing into this somewhat. New guy doesn’t want to play ball.

The production company won’t change so likely Holland and the creative team won’t. Just Disney/Feige isn’t part of the overall vision.

Sony made a shrewd move.

So uhh, what does this mean for Spiderman attractions?

Nothing besides “uuuhhhhhh”. They own the character and it’s representation in parks on the west coast.

What a time for this to happen after the end of Far From Home. I thought there was one more movie in the contract?

I hope a deal is made to at least get some closure.

Nothing besides “uuuhhhhhh”. They own the character and it’s representation in parks on the west coast.

More complicated as to contract/deals. Will Tom Holland's contract include theme park attractions under Sony or not?? What about ride filming which typically takes place as they film franchise series? etc...there are not a lot of logistics that complicate things with the lack of a deal between Sony/Disney.

In the end though, the real winner may end up being Tom Holland as he ends up with multiple lucrative contracts to cover things.

Pascal is leaving, which I think is playing into this somewhat. New guy doesn’t want to play ball.

Her production company is moving to Universal, but I had heard she was also still remaining the "head" of the Spidey team at Sony.

The production company won’t change so likely Holland and the creative team won’t. Just Disney/Feige isn’t part of the overall vision.

Sony made a shrewd move.

I mean, my assumption is that Feige was the central creative figure on HOMECOMING and FAR FROM HOME, shaping the stories with as much focus as he does with the proper MCU projects. So I think losing his input, and the ability to take elements from the wider Marvel canon of characters, is a big loss.

What a time for this to happen after the end of Far From Home. I thought there was one more movie in the contract?

I hope a deal is made to at least get some closure.
The deal between Sony and Disney included 5 movies with Spiderman: 2 solo MCU movies and 3 MCU ensembles (Civil War/Infinity War/Endgame).
That deal is now finished without renewal.

The deal between Sony and Holland, I believe included at least 1 additional solo movie (possibly 2). That deal will likely be renewed in some fashion to include appearances in Venom 2 and other Sony Marvel movies.

I think we'll end up seeing at least another 2-3 solo Holland Spiderman movies that tie into all of these other Sony Marvel projects to try to create a universe out of it.

Sony made a shrewd move.

Sony made a move that may make business sense, but it leaves me without reason to see any future live-action Spider-Man movies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Disney did this on purpose knowing that Sony wouldn't negotiate on anything like a 50% offer... Disney made an offer that they knew Sony wouldn't even come close to matching...

Because this way Disney won't take any of the blame from fans, and fans will just say "okay then I'm done with Spiderman, sticking with MCU" which is what I expect the vast majority to say. Disney is going to hope for an outcome like what happened with Fox where Fox bled X-Men/FF to the bone to the point where fans were pretty much done with the Fox Marvel movies outside of Deadpool.

Disney had to have known that there was no way for any renewal to proceed without the same terms as the previous deal as far as finances go. Spiderman movies were still making $700-800 million each before the MCU came around, and I'd guess the next one will hit that range at least.