Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Magic Kingdom at around the 20th of September last year was as quiet as I'd ever seen it. Ever. The rides we'd FastPass'd -- Big Thunder, Splash, and Haunted Mansion -- were all walk-ons the entire afternoon, as were many other rides, rendering our FPs effectively useless. Which was fine as far as I was concerned. We were able to do 20 attractions in 8 hours.

It was also 93 degrees and I'll never go to Orlando when there's even a chance of that temperature ever again, despite the favorable crowds.
Yes. Last year I accompanied my brother for his short business trip to Orlando. No way I pay for vacations at this time of year anymore. Anyway, I met up with @UK-Trigg and we did all 4 WDW parks in a day. We just did a sampling of rides, but we still only ended up using one fast pass. FOP was, I believe 50 minutes even though Navii was down. Much slower than when I was vacationing the previous few years. Yes, and it was crazy uncomfortable roasting hot. TSL, with no shade, was unbearable.....I'm looking forward to our November trip. Touring is so much more enjoyable when the temperatures are in the high 70's. Mid November, early December prices are about the same as September. No good reason to brave the storms for travel and the heat in the parks to go to Orlando in late August/September.

Did DHS today, rode Smugglers Run about 3 times or so with no wait above 40 minutes. Storm Troopers and Chewie were out, but this is my first trip to Batuu where i've genuinely felt how dead the land is as a whole. After SR, if you aren't making a Droid or Lightsaber, getting food at Docking Bay/Ronto's or going to the Cantina, or buying something in the market place, there's nothing to do. And ALL of those things I listed cost extra.

Green Milk still sucks and Blue Milk is good enough. I'm not quite sure what the deal is with the Kylo Ren show at the TIE Fighter as the show has yet to happen in Orlando as far as I know.

Bookings across the resort are a lot stronger in December anyway so it WILL be busier for ROTR based on this alone. Not much time for guests to see holiday offerings and enjoy the better temps as it's less than a two month window, especially compared to the extended dates for Food & Wine and the Halloween parties.

Bookings across the resort are a lot stronger in December anyway so it WILL be busier for ROTR based on this alone. Not much time for guests to see holiday offerings and enjoy the better temps as it's less than a two month window, especially compared to the extended dates for Food & Wine and the Halloween parties.
Still, they've gotta be kicking themselves for the 6am openings through the beginning of November. It's just not needed right now.

Still, they've gotta be kicking themselves for the 6am openings through the beginning of November. It's just not needed right now.

They should cut it. What is the point? I'm shocked it wasn't an upcharge Morning Magic event in the first place. Plus, it's not like Falcon has FOP-like capacity or worse.

There were signs of over-preparation all over the park (and not just the literal signs advising of the Current Land Status: OPEN). Imagine, I turned in via the new parking entrance in the late afternoon Friday and was only parking in Mickey 305. I was like hmm.. seems awfully close. Where is everybody?

Walk my way over to the redesigned entrance where bag check is on the side.. walking right up to security. Again.. hm.. where is everybody? To the empty turnstiles and then on through straight to Galaxy's Edge via Toy Story Land, shocked at a 20 minute wait for Toy Story Mania, 40 minutes for Slinky Dog Dash, and 10 for Alien Swirling Saucers.

Finally.. descending into Batuu and immediately being awe-inspired by the design, and then quickly noticing wow.. zero wait for blue milk. What was sure to be a hella crowded Millennium Falcon shot was actually feasible to get almost solo if you timed it right. And the wait for the land's current headline attraction hovering at only a 35 minute wait.

Have mercy on us when the hordes descend on the park for Rise of the Resistance. Guard your boarding groups.

They should cut it. What is the point? I'm shocked it wasn't an upcharge Morning Magic event in the first place. Plus, it's not like Falcon has FOP-like capacity or worse.

There were signs of over-preparation all over the park (and not just the literal signs advising of the Current Land Status: OPEN). Imagine, I turned in via the new parking entrance in the late afternoon Friday and was only parking in Mickey 305. I was like hmm.. seems awfully close. Where is everybody?

Walk my way over to the redesigned entrance where bag check is on the side.. walking right up to security. Again.. hm.. where is everybody? To the empty turnstiles and then on through straight to Galaxy's Edge via Toy Story Land, shocked at a 20 minute wait for Toy Story Mania, 40 minutes for Slinky Dog Dash, and 10 for Alien Swirling Saucers.

Finally.. descending into Batuu and immediately being awe-inspired by the design, and then quickly noticing wow.. zero wait for blue milk. What was sure to be a hella crowded Millennium Falcon shot was actually feasible to get almost solo if you timed it right. And the wait for the land's current headline attraction hovering at only a 35 minute wait.

Have mercy on us when the hordes descend on the park for Rise of the Resistance. Guard your boarding groups.
I also walked up to the Milk Stand and had no one in front of me. My day in total matches up with a lot of what you said, quite frankly.

I don't think they "over-prepared" though. It's better to over-prepare and not need that extra stuff than to not be prepared. DHS still has two more attractions to open in the next year plus the 50th celebration in 2021. I think most of what they did was warranted.

Did DHS today, rode Smugglers Run about 3 times or so with no wait above 40 minutes. Storm Troopers and Chewie were out, but this is my first trip to Batuu where i've genuinely felt how dead the land is as a whole. After SR, if you aren't making a Droid or Lightsaber, getting food at Docking Bay/Ronto's or going to the Cantina, or buying something in the market place, there's nothing to do. And ALL of those things I listed cost extra.

And this, is still my main gripe with the land. Even if you do buy/make something, that's a one-and-done thing for nearly everyone. There's no return value there. It desperately needed to be closer to Ollivanders where you can buy a wand, yet still come back later to enjoy the show yet again. I would kill to have more things to do here. There's just... not.

And this, is still my main gripe with the land. Even if you do buy/make something, that's a one-and-done thing for nearly everyone. There's no return value there. It desperately needed to be closer to Ollivanders where you can buy a wand, yet still come back later to enjoy the show yet again. I would kill to have more things to do here. There's just... not.

I agree on your point, but I also think it's how much you are enveloped in your surroundings.

Perfect example...yes by choosing Batuu over a recognizable location (which I get is difficult, as there are few places in Star Wars easy to replicate while also being "theme park-y"), you need to fill it with things people can relate to. In WWoHP, Harry, Ron and Hermione (or anyone of note for that matter) aren't seen walking around outside. It lends a sense of realism in that, what are the chances we run into them in the bustling streets of Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley? In GE, there is a war going on between the Resistance and First Order, yet Kylo's ship is casually docked, and right up the street is the Millennium Falcon, an X-Wing and an A-Wing. It feels more like props and photo ops than stepping into a world.

Additionally, with WWoHP it's a lot easier to build atmosphere because humans are the only living things you would expect to be walking around. In Star Wars, you need droids and at the very least, aliens of some sort. Like to me, if you can't afford prosthetics and such for all team members, at least add some life to the Cantina. But overall, this only lends it to feel more like a movie set with photo ops than a living breathing experience.

Don't get me wrong...I had a lot of fun, and it's always nice for something new to open up in any theme park. It disperses crowds and ultimately creates healthy competition and I still can't wait for Rise which I do think will be a game changer...but this choice by Disney feels more calculated and like a reactionary response to WWoHP's overwhelming success by using their most lucrative property...without truly understanding what it takes to make it a relatable comparison to what Universal did.

After SR, if you aren't making a Droid or Lightsaber, getting food at Docking Bay/Ronto's or going to the Cantina, or buying something in the market place, there's nothing to do. And ALL of those things I listed cost extra.
Isn’t Pandora even worse for that though? After the rides, what’s there to do if you’re not getting a Night Blossom, walking through the one gift shop, or eating at Satuli? Drums?

At least there’s some interesting AAs in the shops at GE, but other than actually having a quick show like the Kylo Ren thing that needs to start, (and the 2nd ride needs to open of course,) not sure how different this land is from most theme park lands.

Isn’t Pandora even worse for that though? After the rides, what’s there to do if you’re not getting a Night Blossom, walking through the one gift shop, or eating at Satuli? Drums?

At least there’s some interesting AAs in the shops at GE, but other than actually having a quick show like the Kylo Ren thing that needs to start, (and the 2nd ride needs to open of course,) not sure how different this land is from most theme park lands.

It definitely is a similar problem I have. I don't know that I'd say most theme park lands are like this though? Most at least have some kind of real show to go along with the main attraction. What other lands in WDW don't at least have a show to go along with the main attraction(s)? I don't see why it's unrealistic to have an issue with a billion dollar land lacking actual things to do. I mean, there's more Star Wars entertainment options in Echo Lake than Galaxys Edge.

That's why I put out the post above...I think it extends past the dead space and need to purchase things. Pandora does feel similar to GE, you're right, in that there are no Na'vi walking around which is a staple (and the title) of the film. I seriously think that producing a land means making it feel lived in, and more than a place for some cool backdrops and props.

That's why I put out the post above...I think it extends past the dead space and need to purchase things. Pandora does feel similar to GE, you're right, in that there are no Na'vi walking around which is a staple (and the title) of the film. I seriously think that producing a land means making it feel lived in, and more than a place for some cool backdrops and props.
I guess we’re learning that shows, even street shows like Potter has, go a long way to help flesh out a land.

I see people pointing out Ollivanders, but that’s only 5 minutes. I think there needs to be more than just a quick aside like that to help add things to do. The two street shows at The Wizarding World lands help. Even if you don’t stop to watch them, it really adds some energy.

Even the bad drum circle show adds energy to Pandora, but I don’t think that’s enough to keep my interest in the land.

I guess we’re learning that shows, even street shows like Potter has, go a long way to help flesh out a land.

I see people pointing out Ollivanders, but that’s only 5 minutes. I think there needs to be more than just a quick aside like that to help add things to do. The two street shows at The Wizarding World lands help. Even if you don’t stop to watch them, it really adds some energy.

Even the bad drum circle show adds energy to Pandora, but I don’t think that’s enough to keep my interest in the land.

I agree about street shows for sure...but once again...what street show will GE have? They will have Kylo come out of his ship...which feels no different than Jedi Academy or meeting him at Docking Bay. By having key characters and no one else around interacting with guests in an immersive capacity, the entire land feels stale and empty.

Now with WWoHP, Celestina Warback and the Banshees, the Frog Choir, Durmstrang and Beauxbatons etc. all are components of the lure without being instantly recognizable. That, IMO, opens up the land and makes it feel like something special.

I agree on your point, but I also think it's how much you are enveloped in your surroundings.

Perfect example...yes by choosing Batuu over a recognizable location (which I get is difficult, as there are few places in Star Wars easy to replicate while also being "theme park-y"), you need to fill it with things people can relate to. In WWoHP, Harry, Ron and Hermione (or anyone of note for that matter) aren't seen walking around outside. It lends a sense of realism in that, what are the chances we run into them in the bustling streets of Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley? In GE, there is a war going on between the Resistance and First Order, yet Kylo's ship is casually docked, and right up the street is the Millennium Falcon, an X-Wing and an A-Wing. It feels more like props and photo ops than stepping into a world.

Additionally, with WWoHP it's a lot easier to build atmosphere because humans are the only living things you would expect to be walking around. In Star Wars, you need droids and at the very least, aliens of some sort. Like to me, if you can't afford prosthetics and such for all team members, at least add some life to the Cantina. But overall, this only lends it to feel more like a movie set with photo ops than a living breathing experience.

Don't get me wrong...I had a lot of fun, and it's always nice for something new to open up in any theme park. It disperses crowds and ultimately creates healthy competition and I still can't wait for Rise which I do think will be a game changer...but this choice by Disney feels more calculated and like a reactionary response to WWoHP's overwhelming success by using their most lucrative property...without truly understanding what it takes to make it a relatable comparison to what Universal did.

You’re touching on a hypothesis I have about the land I want to see when in person. When you create something new you must attach people to it somehow. It’s why the lack of music is so galling.

Almost like Pandora is also a bad “one IP” themed land!

Almost like Pandora is also a bad “one IP” themed land!
I think that’s kind of my point. It’s amazing how much forgiveness there is to a boring land when everyone loves the main ride.

If GE had opened with Rise, it’s possible that the “the land is dead” talk would die down pretty quick, like it did for Pandora.

Even if Rise isn’t perfect, reporters reported that classic Star Wars music plays in the preload areas, and that may have been enough for some folks to finally connect to the land.

Still haven't been there yet, but from posts it seems that Pandora & GESWL have a similar experience. I remember the first reviews from people here concerning Pandora, and they were gushing over how great it was and saying it was as good, if not better, than Diagon. But after subsequent trips their enthusiasm died down since the land was a bit lifeless after the first experience. I'm seeing that same pattern with GESWL. First appearance it's great, but on subsequent experiences, the lack of entertainment & music etc. , jump out and the land appears to lack life and kinetic energy. It seems that people certainly 'like' GESWL (and Pandora), but they don't 'love' GESWL (or Pandora). As I've said before, Disney 'just doesn't get it, when it comes to their most recent land openings (NFL, TSL, GESWL). They're one and done lands, except for the rides. That's not good enough.

Definitely agreed on the street shows.

I only point out Ollivanders because the lightsaber experience is so similar and already exists. It's so close to being something similar in that regard, but just doesn't quite have the same experience because of the paywall limiting it. I would definitely love more things (like the aforementioned street shows)! I just see the lightsaber experience as something that just needs small tweaks to be great.

I knew Pandora was lifeless when most of the the videos I saw,when it opened, were people walking around looking with their faces buried in their cell phones instead of the land itself, and oblivious to their surroundings. I recall making a comment about that back then....When you're in Diagon or Hogsmeade, people for the most part are wide eyed gawking/looking at the buildings and land no matter how many times they've been there, or phone in ready photo position waiting for the Dragon to spew fire in a kinetic energy moment. I can envision a GESWL where the people visiting for 'repeat visits' just walk straight to the rides while having their faces buried in their cell phones.

Enjoyed Batuu a lot. Smugglers Run was a fun ride if you’re doing something other than engineer, but the queue is amazing. The land is beautiful, but badly needs Rise to open. There is just nothing to do. Oga’s was great and our bartender was amazing. Only issue was I had no idea where it was. Ronto wrap was as good as everyone said.

I did not try any of the milks due to reviews and spent my money at Oga’s. Feel like that was a good idea.