Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Stranger Things

While this house has issues--long hallways of nothing, too many static figures--I'm beginning to think the biggest problem is that, removed from the hype of July 4th binging, fans are starting to realize it's based on two repetitive, mediocre seasons of TV. I think it's a slightly below average house that's bearing the brunt of a general ST backlash.
I don’t know what ST backlash you’re talking about. It’s still by far the most popular house/IP at the event this year in terms of wait times and merch sales.

I don’t know what ST backlash you’re talking about. It’s still by far the most popular house/IP at the event this year in terms of wait times and merch sales.

Among traditional HHN fans--see, e.g. the review thread, Twitter--as opposed to the middle school crowd who've shown up this year.

Whilst I don't think the house was as strong this year I adored season 3 of stranger things. I even bought a scoops ahoy hat at HHN.

If the house had been all season 3 I think it would have been far greater than it was.
I agree. Honestly I've seen much more backlash for S2 than S3. S3 seemed to have been gotten mostly positive to mixed reception overall. That explains a lot of the issues when quite a bit of the house is unneccesary moments and scenes from Season 2, while missing some of the beats that made S3 work much more a la Alexei, Scoops Ahoy Steve and Robin, Russians, the County Fair, Sauna Test, etc.

There are so many moments from S3 that could've been decent scares if they had gone for them. The crazy old lady in the basement. The flayed lifeguard with the broken bottle stabbing her parents. The flayed boss and father chasing Nancy and Jonathan in the hospital. The russians trying to kill Hopper hiding in the dark funhouse with the swinging clown figures. S3 had enough decently dark scenes for a good house, they just chose to use that time making scenes like the Dart bedroom and the overly long tunnel.

The key to making the house work imo was perfecting the few good S2 scenes there were (Bob's Death, Tunnel, walls with the paper map on them, Demodogs in the pumpkin patch/bus, Arcade w Mind Flayer sillhouette) and then focusing on the horror and fan-favorite parts of S3. I'm not even that big on the character's but if Scoops Ahoy Steve/Robin or Alexei with his Slushie popped out of a small boohole in any S3 scene the house would almost instantly be better in the eyes of ST fans. Instead they messed up S2 by throwing in lackluster scenes and lacked enough of the good bits of S3 to portray why it should've come to HHN in the first place.

Last edited:
Among traditional HHN fans--see, e.g. the review thread, Twitter--as opposed to the middle school crowd who've shown up this year.

In general, for most of the reviews that I have seen, audiences loved S3 and is the most-watched season of the series. Middle schoolers and adults alike seemed to really enjoy it. S2 didn't get horrible reviews either, even though S3 reviews were stronger/more positive.