Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 24 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It never fails that people try to discredit reviewers because they view their opinion as superior. Yet people ignore the fact that reviewers themselves do not rate everything in the same way and that a statistical consensus on quality is a thing that not everyone is ever going to agree on.

Reactions: snayberry
Well, TLJ already did that. I like TLJ, but having a civil conversation about it is rare.

Also, I love how people who want to hate on the Disney Star Wars movies seem to completely ignore how trashy the prequels were. This trilogy isn't at the level of the OT, but few things are. The PT is a dumpster fire. This trilogy is somewhere in-between the two trilogies imo. The worst thing about it is most of the characters after Rey, Kylo and BB-8 are all forgettable.

Ooh, I think you nailed it for me. Poe and Finn always feel like poorly acted, poorly written, plot-convenient caricatures.

Just yanks me out of it whenever they do pretty much anything.

Reviewers seemed to have disliked it for 1) Being too convoluted 2) Having scenes that were nothing but fan service and 3) basically adding nothing new, just prettier

Sounds like another franchise that had a big finale movie earlier in the year. People seemed to love that one.

My stepdad who is a huge star wars fan and liked all the movies said this was just okay. Too much was going on and too much retconning. Worth seeing because it will likely be the end but not worth a second trip to the theatre to watch or to actively seek to watch again.

Sounds like another franchise that had a big finale movie earlier in the year. People seemed to love that one.
If you mean Endgame it had some fan service, but mostly it actually carried on the plot established in the previous film. It didn't use itself to erase the previous film by plastering fan service all over it. Also it threw a curve right at the beginning of the film, and relied on all the character development done over 21 films. The reviews make this sound like it was an attempt at house correction in mid flight that didn't quite work.

Reactions: youhow2
If you mean Endgame it had some fan service, but mostly it actually carried on the plot established in the previous film. It didn't use itself to erase the previous film by plastering fan service all over it. Also it threw a curve right at the beginning of the film, and relied on all the character development done over 21 films. The reviews make this sound like it was an attempt at house correction in mid flight that didn't quite work.

Endgame also got stellar reviews

Just seen it... and loved it.

Not perfect by a long way but a hell of a step up from TLJ... but then I liked TFA and loved Rogue One so what do I know? :shrug:

This removes the elements of TLJ which I hated and leaves the fun and spectacle which I enjoyed.

A good friend of mine that lives in the Uk and is a huge SW fan, just posted that he loved it. He said it was “pure Star Wars”.

Totally agree with him.

So...he’s a fool for saying that even though he saw the movie for himself? A lot of reviewers are coming out saying that it’s bad. Even TLJ defenders are hating it!

In my opinion, yes he is. This was way better than the prequels, even if he didn't like it nothing can be as bad as that garbage. People like him just say stuff to get views.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Kinda shocked at the positive reactions in here after reading all of the spoilers, but curious to see this in 6 hours. Can't quite see how they redeem what I've read.

Reactions: chris.g
Kinda shocked at the positive reactions in here after reading all of the spoilers, but curious to see this in 6 hours. Can't quite see how they redeem what I've read.
I know none of the spoilers but for any film or art piece it’s typically in the execution of it all. So again I have no clue what’s happening but I’d wait and see how it’s presented first.
Not a Star Wars film, but if someone told me the plot twist for “Sorry To Bother You” I would’ve never watched cause it sounded bloody insane. It worked perfectly in the film, somehow haha.

If people are just looking for retcons and fan service, I can see why they’d like it.

I’m hoping I feel positive coming out of the movie like I did with TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ...but I will be very surprised if that’s the case. Especially considering how laughable some of the scenes I’ve seen are.

I just want it to feel like Star Wars. That was a big thing missing in TLJ, give me all the feels! Maybe I'm the type of fan that feeds of the nostalgia but ya know what please just give me a fun Star Wars film, some lightsabers, and ill likely be at the very least satisfied walking out. Really, need lots of lightsabers in this one imo.

I know none of the spoilers but for any film or art piece it’s typically in the execution of it all. So again I have no clue what’s happening but I’d wait and see how it’s presented first.
Not a Star Wars film, but if someone told me the plot twist for “Sorry To Bother You” I would’ve never watched cause it sounded bloody insane. It worked perfectly in the film, somehow haha.

Definitely to an extent, but regardless of execution, I still loathe some of the answers they're giving us and I don't think any level of acting or directing can fix that for me. We shall see. I want to like it.

If people are just looking for retcons and fan service, I can see why they’d like it.

I’m hoping I feel positive coming out of the movie like I did with TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ...but I will be very surprised if that’s the case. Especially considering how laughable some of the scenes I’ve seen are.

I guess, but even then, there are some wildly questionable choices (not sure how else to vaguely phrase my feelings without getting even the tiniest bit spoiler-y).

That's where I'm at too though. I've enjoyed every one of these Disney era films at least to the extent of having fun with them.

For what it's worth though, I'm not a mega fan by any means. They're decent entertainment, but all of the films have always been wildly flawed to me, especially the prequels. That's why I had no issue spoiling it in the first place. I probably enjoy Rise of the Resistance more than any of the movies :lol:

I just went to the theater with a “let’s have fun” mindset. Guess it just isn’t as intense for me of a thing haha

I guess, but even then, there are some wildly questionable choices (not sure how else to vaguely phrase my feelings without getting even the tiniest bit spoiler-y).

Oh I think the choices are downright *terrible* and nonsensical.
I just went to the theater with a “let’s have fun” mindset. Guess it just isn’t as intense for me of a thing haha

I mean that's fine, but I can't have fun if a movie is bad. Like, the prequels are terrible movies. I can't watch them and have fun. A lot of what I'm reading *feels* like the latter prequels where George had given up and just filled the things with fan service to appease the whingers

EDIT: I also don't want to rain on anyone's parade. If you enjoyed it, I'm happy for you, even if I think this sounds like it's gonna be an absolute trainwreck. We'll see how I feel when I see it Christmas day

Last edited: