Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I really just need to hear 3PO say "master Luke" just one more time if Luke comes back as a force ghost. God I feel I'm going to be an absolute mess during this movie.

Last score ever for John Williams too, right? That in itself will make me cry lol.

Last score ever for John Williams too, right? That in itself will make me cry lol.

I think it may just be his last Star Wars score ever?

"In March 2018 Williams announced that following Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which is due for release on December 20, 2019, he will retire from composing music for the Star Wars franchise: "We know J. J. Abrams is preparing one Star Wars movie now that I will hopefully do next year for him. I look forward to it. It will round out a series of nine, that will be quite enough for me."

"In March 2018 Williams announced that following Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which is due for release on December 20, 2019, he will retire from composing music for the Star Wars franchise: "We know J. J. Abrams is preparing one Star Wars movie now that I will hopefully do next year for him. I look forward to it. It will round out a series of nine, that will be quite enough for me."
I'm pretty sure it'll be his last movie period. He was basically retired but came back for SW.

Ah, got it. Either way the reviews of the score seem overwhelmingly positive and thats very exciting to hear.

I mean what a ending to the sequel trilogy. I like how they finally added some cool fan service. I think that the studio listened to much to the fans, this caused such a weird vibe. “Forget what happens in the last movie we’re on to another adventure!” They tried to replace or fix everything in one movie after another. To me these movies aren’t bad there just meh I wish we had more time to actually continue the story without all the fixing plot points. The twists also are kinda cool but in reality lazy.

John Williams will continue to score Steven Spielberg's movies when there's not some unusual reason not to (i.e. he won't be scoring WEST SIDE STORY... because it already has a score) or when scheduling doesn't interfere (i.e. he couldn't score BRIDGE OF SPIES or READY PLAYER ONE because of his commitments to STAR WARS). And as long as he's able, of course.

Assuming the fabled INDIANA JONES 5 does get made after Spielberg's done with WEST SIDE STORY, it's unthinkable that Williams wouldn't score it if he can.

But he's absolutely done with STAR WARS.

Everybody's still acting like it's happening. Disney's slotted the release date, Spielberg and Frank Marshall have talked generally about trying to get it shooting by the spring (since Spielberg is, basically, done with WEST SIDE STORY already, but Disney/Fox's holding onto it for a year... just because).

Everybody's still acting like it's happening. Disney's slotted the release date, Spielberg and Frank Marshall have talked generally about trying to get it shooting by the spring (since Spielberg is, basically, done with WEST SIDE STORY already, but Disney/Fox's holding onto it for a year... just because).
There's a new version of West Side Story opening on Broadway next month/early February, its a VERY different West Side Story, and they likely didn't want the 2 of them colliding if that makes sense.

Just BLASTED the prologue music in my car on my way home, windows down, speakers up, and had like 3-4 cars honking and waving at me. It’s Star Wars time folks!! Just another hour or two!!!! My excitement is through the roof, new Star Wars is always great and I just hope it’s fun.

If you mean Endgame it had some fan service, but mostly it actually carried on the plot established in the previous film. It didn't use itself to erase the previous film by plastering fan service all over it.
I really just need to hear 3PO say "master Luke" just one more time if Luke comes back as a force ghost. God I feel I'm going to be an absolute mess during this movie.

Yes, and this ends the era of what was called "The 4 J's" (John Williams, John Barry, James Horner, Jery Goldsmith) who were probably the best known film composers since the era of Max Stiener/Bernard Hermann. I don't see anyone on the horizon yet with the scope of those 4.

i feel like Martin Scorsese was kinda right..... these arent movies anymore, just theme park experiences.
plots arent that important anymore, stories dont really matter, not really, all that it matters is great CGI effects, fast action scenes, colorful sets. good actors etc.

the last jedi might have looked great, might have had incredible effects and great creature and costume designs, might have had cool and interesting characters, amazing sets, sure, incredible action,

but the story of last jedi was just so poor...... the last jedi ruined so many of the things that force awakens had set up..... it didnt add much to the story, didnt really grow the story or characters much. people can love the last jedi but for me the last jedi was like a colorful cgi ride with a very thin plot.... seriously if you just read a summary of it, it sounds like a theme-park-ride plot.

if anything the failure of this movie will be because of how poor the last jedi was set up. this new movie had to both fix the damages of the last jedi made, do justice to the characters and bring a conclusion to the entire franchise. an almost impossible task.
im sure visually this new movie will be incredible, im sure the action will be excellent, im sure the cgi will be top notch,

thats all that matters now...

i feel like Martin Scorsese was kinda right..... these arent movies anymore, just theme park experiences.
plots arent that important anymore, stories dont really matter, not really, all that it matters is great CGI effects, fast action scenes, colorful sets. good actors etc.

the last jedi might have looked great, might have had incredible effects and great creature and costume designs, might have had cool and interesting characters, amazing sets, sure, incredible action,

but the story of last jedi was just so poor...... the last jedi ruined so many of the things that force awakens had set up..... it didnt add much to the story, didnt really grow the story or characters much. people can love the last jedi but for me the last jedi was like a colorful cgi ride with a very thin plot.... seriously if you just read a summary of it, it sounds like a theme-park-ride plot.

if anything the failure of this movie will be because of how poor the last jedi was set up. this new movie had to both fix the damages of the last jedi made, do justice to the characters and bring a conclusion to the entire franchise. an almost impossible task.
im sure visually this new movie will be incredible, im sure the action will be excellent, im sure the cgi will be top notch,

thats all that matters now...

The irony was that they tried to tell a cohesive story with Galaxy's Edge that fit into the canon, BTTF style. Turns out it was one of the reasons the land was so poorly received early on. Think of how poorly WWoHP would've been received had Uni tried to fit it into the canon.

The irony was that they tried to tell a cohesive story with Galaxy's Edge that fit into the canon, BTTF style. Turns out it was one of the reasons the land was so poorly received early on. Think of how poorly WWoHP would've been received had Uni tried to fit it into the canon.
Uni did fit it into the canon... the existing cannon. they didn't try to make it new canon.

Anyone see this in 3d or Imax? I expect 3d will be good as post production 3d has actually been increasingly worthwhile but heard almost nothing about Imax. I assume they didnt really film anything with Imax cameras this time.