Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I thought the movie was soulless. Not a good closing by JJ. Like I said, I thought the movie was mediocre at best. Say what you will but everybody is entitled to their own opinion. If some people enjoyed this new trilogy, awesome. I thought it was a cash grab. The movie was good for what it was but I can see how die hard Star Wars fans don't like it. I find it funny how some people will talk crap because other people's opinions don't align with theirs.

Not sure if this is the right place to put it but here is my general thoughts on the movie (I saw the midnight screening UK time, so I've had over a day to think about it.)

In general, I thought this was a good movie. Before you get your pitchforks out and whatnot, I completely understand some of the criticisms of the film, and agree on some fronts. But as a film, it was extremely enjoyable to me and I am looking forward to seeing it again (hopefully multiple times).

I 100% agree with what is the main criticism of them not having a coherent plan from the start - I liked all 3 movies in this trilogy but the difference in tone between 1 & 3/ 2 is HUGE. Wasn't a huge fan of all the retconning done by JJ - the whole Palpatine as grandad in particular was very forced, in fact his whole presence was kinda forced tbh, but I digress - but in general I think it worked? And he kept some good parts from TLJ, so I can't be too mad at it.

In terms of the Rey/ Kylo kiss, and his subsequent death, I thought it was great. Honestly best part of the movie for me - the whole "Bendemption" arc in the film was the strongest part by far. Sure his death was a bit unintentionally comical, but he needed to die imo, and I spotted that Rey/ Kylo kiss from a mile away (maybe even from TFA), so it didn't feel rushed to me at least?

Giving Poe a backstory was GREAT. In fact, all of the Resistance bits were GREAT (despite the lack of Rose), and I actually really enjoyed Finn in this movie. Just wish they kept the C3PO and Chewie "shockers".

Overall, 4.5/5, in top 3 SW films for me.

I kinda rambled here but I hope it all made sense? Not sure if this is even the right place to put it but if not, please tell me where I should have it. Feel free to debate as I know most of my opinions are probably in the minority lol

^^^ spoilers tag for the people who haven’t seen the movie yet.

*edit* okay I saw you fixed it lol. It popped up on my email with the whole thing to read.

The “kiss,” though narratively ham fisted, was still earned. It ties into the idea of “Ben” and “Kylo” being different people, and Rey’s comment about taking Ben’s hand.

Ben’s death also makes perfect sense. It’s presented in such a clunky way (like almost everything in the film), though, that ruins the impact. It’s literally “a life for a life.” Force healing, as Rey describes it, is transferring the healer’s life into another. When Kylo gets to her, Rey’s dead. Ben transfers ALL of his life into Rey to bring her back.

So, just like Vader’s “redemption” is wrapped up in his sacrifice, Ben’s is too. The specifics just aren’t presented in any clear way.
I will say by the end I did buy into Ben and Kylo being different people. The stuff with Kylo/Ben and Rey was all very good from the perspective of drawing you in.

They both had great chemistry and tbh, they both make each other more interesting. Ben dying was unsatisfactory bc Rey just isn’t as interesting on her own. I would’ve liked it to be a bit more Romeo and Juliet and for them to both die and end the movie with them as force ghosts together.

Last edited:
I thought the movie was absurd and ridiculous. Puppet Palpatine looks ridiculous and was not a creative choice at all. "The Final Order" sounds dumb and like something they just came up with real quick. The way Ray beats him by just blocking his lightning was dumb too.

The whole movie seemed rushed and just something cut and pasted to please the fans. It felt hollow and apologetic to what Rian did. It also feels like he ripped off Return of the Jedi just like A New Hope feels like TFA. Dude has no creativity at all.

The best way I can describe the movie is the best looking turd in a pile of ST Poo.

Kylo Ren's death has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever seen. Him and Rey's kiss was nice, if not exactly entirely earned, AND THEN HE FALLS OVER AND DIES?!?! WHY?!? And someone else brought up a good point that all Ben says from his redemption to his death is "Ow". As a romance-lover and someone that loves Ben as a character, this is borderline insulting

I can't believe I'm saying this, but remake this trilogy. Please. Somebody put some sense into this trilogy.

Last edited:
Kylo Ren's death has got to be one of the most frustrating things I have ever seen. Him and Rey's kiss was nice, if not exactly entirely earned, AND THEN HE FALLS OVER AND DIES?!?! WHY?!? And someone else brought up a good point that all Ben says from his redemption to his death is "Ow". As a romance-lover and someone that loves Ben as a character, this is borderline insulting

I can't believe I'm saying this, but remake this trilogy. Please. Somebody out some sense into this trilogy.
He dies because he transferred too much of his force to Rey. It was an act of love that killed him. Luke and Leia’s deaths are examples of this same thing in this very trilogy
I also sort of wish we could remake this trilogy with an actual vision, but we have what we have and the Skywalker Saga is finally over and we can move on.

He dies because he transferred too much of his force to Rey. It was an act of love that killed him. Luke and Leia’s deaths are examples of this same thing in this very trilogy
I also sort of wish we could remake this trilogy with an actual vision, but we have what we have and the Skywalker Saga is finally over and we can move on.

That's not what I'm mad about, though. I'm mad that he just slumps over and dies. No final words, no death sequence. It's way too abrupt.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but remake this trilogy. Please. Somebody put some sense into this trilogy.
Supposedly there’s a “George Lucas cut” that would’ve redeemed the entire sequel trilogy. Kathleen Kennedy was the one who rejected it because there were something that she didn’t like about it. The source of this was “Doomcock”, the same YouTuber who leaked the spoilers months in advance only to be proven right about them. If this is true, the best thing they could do is release the George Lucas cut to appease the fan base.

Even better: this entire trilogy should be labeled “the fan-fiction trilogy”. Anything past the Mandalorian is not considered canon.

7208AEA9-8D66-46DA-BB2D-EAD63BEE4079.jpeg