Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

So while they have been extremely quiet about the movie (a little too quiet for comfort), D23 released a list of all Disney/Fox movies coming out in 2020 and Bob's Burgers is still holding it's release date so I guess. Roughly 6 months out is when a teaser trailer comes out so within the next month or two we should hopefully get something.

01/10: Underwater (FOX)
02/21: Call of the Wild (FOX)
02/28: Wendy (FSL)
03/06: Onward (DIS)
03/27: Mulan (DIS)
04/03: The New Mutants (FOX)
04/17: Antlers (FSL)
05/01: Black Widow (DIS)
05/08: The Personal History of David Copperfield (FSL)
05/15: The Woman in the Window (FOX)
05/29: Artemis Fowl (DIS)
06/19: Soul (DIS)
07/03: Free Guy (FOX)
07/17: Bob’s Burgers (FOX)
07/24: Jungle Cruise (DIS)
08/07: Empty Man (FOX)
08/14: The One and Only Ivan (DIS)
09/18: The King’s Man (FOX)
10/09: Death on the Nile (FOX)
11/06: The Eternals (DIS)
11/25: Raya and the Last Dragon (DIS)
12/18: West Side Story (FOX)
12/25: The Last Duel (FOX) (Limited)

Must-See Disney Experiences Coming in 2020 - D23

I just noticed that even in its sixth weekend, Frozen 2 beat out Spies in Disguise's opening. Disney has to be feeling a little buyer's remorse at this point.

I just noticed that even in its sixth weekend, Frozen 2 beat out Spies in Disguise's opening. Disney has to be feeling a little buyer's remorse at this point.
Buyer’s remorse over a single movie? 21CF was a vast and sweeping purchase that included many valuable assets and tbh, I don’t think Disney considers BlueSky as one of those that are valuable to them - especially since they already have two successful animation studios. But let’s also not kid ourselves - this was a cheap movie to make and at the very least will come out in the black if not make a bit of money.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Disney closes the studio after Nimona in 2021.

Buyer’s remorse over a single movie? 21CF was a vast and sweeping purchase that included many valuable assets and tbh, I don’t think Disney considers BlueSky as one of those that are valuable to them - especially since they already have two successful animation companies. But let’s also not kid ourselves - this was a cheap movie to make and at the very least will come out in the black if not make a bit of money.

Nimona might get cancelled. From what I'm hearing someone isn't happy about Disney trying to censor a fairly dark story.

Buyer’s remorse over a single movie? 21CF was a vast and sweeping purchase that included many valuable assets and tbh, I don’t think Disney considers BlueSky as one of those that are valuable to them - especially since they already have two successful animation companies. But let’s also not kid ourselves - this was a cheap movie to make and at the very least will come out in the black if not make a bit of money.

With a $100 million dollar budget, it's not what I'd consider a cheap movie relative to how it's been performing (domestic-wise at least). Certainly, it's not nearly as expensive as the typical Disney/Pixar flick.

I do agree that in the grand scheme of things, this is a just a thorn that comes with the rose. Still, Alan Horn is probably getting annoyed at this point that Fox has not delivered anything really profitable for him yet. Ford v Ferrari and Ready or Not have been the only successful Fox performers this year under Disney and they were modest hits.

I think this will be a moot point five years from now and things will be a little smoother by then once the companies are adjusted to each other.

With a $100 million dollar budget, it's not what I'd consider a cheap movie relative to how it's been performing (domestic-wise at least). Certainly, it's not nearly as expensive as the typical Disney/Pixar flick.

I do agree that in the grand scheme of things, this is a just a thorn that comes with the rose. Still, Alan Horn is probably getting annoyed at this point that Fox has not delivered anything really profitable for him yet. Ford v Ferrari and Ready or Not have been the only successful Fox performers this year under Disney and they were modest hits.

I think this will be a moot point five years from now and things will be a little smoother by then once the companies are adjusted to each other.

We will have to see how Free Guy, The King's Man, and West Side Story does next year.Films do have a cost and if they are essentially a wash they become pointless. The big budget films did really bad though this year and one got sold to Netflix which never is a good sign. (Alita, Ad Astrada, Terminator, Dark Phoenix, etc.)

I do know that Disney probably is mad that Fox Searchlight didn't receive as much award attention as they liked this year despite them releasing Tolkien, A Hidden Life, and Jojo Rabbit.

Last edited:

FOX has a pretty weak slate in 2019 compared to prior years. I think 2020 will see much higher box office from them as they seem to have a much more diverse slate with more big box office appeal. If Free Guy and Bob’s Burgers are the types of hits I think they will be then you also have West Side Story and New Mutants (which unfortunately has to make probably about $500M WW to be considered a hit due to budget, which I highly doubt it hits). There’s also awards movie like The Last Duel. The King’s Man also looks promising, although that release date could hurt it.

We will have to see how Free Guy, The King's Man, and West Side Story does next year.Films do have a cost and if they are essentially a wash they become pointless. The big budget films did really bad though this year and one got sold to Netflix which never is a good sign. (Alita, Ad Astrada, Terminator, Dark Phoenix, etc.)

I do know that Disney probably is mad that Fox Searchlight didn't receive as much award attention as they liked this year despite them releasing Tolkien, A Hidden Life, and Jojo Rabbit.
I think Free Guy has a chance to turn into a franchise if the movie is good and performs well enough. It just looks like a great time with a lead actor everyone loves right now in Ryan Reynolds.

Yeah, unfortunately it had to be done to avoid confusion between Murdoch's Fox.

I mean, I actually like the change; because it reverts the studio name back to what it was, before Fox purchased 20th Century Pictures in 1935 (20th Century Pictures was created in 1933).

Reverting it back to what it was, alongside allowing Searchlight's name to stand as it's own now, feels more elegant. Especially as it should allow Searchlight to have more of an identity now (hopefully).

I mean, I actually like the change; because it reverts the studio name back to what it was, before Fox purchased 20th Century Pictures in 1935 (20th Century Pictures was created in 1933).

Reverting it back to what it was, alongside allowing Searchlight's name to stand as it's own now, feels more elegant. Especially as it should allow Searchlight to have more of an identity now (hopefully).
It's not a total revert back as instead of it being 20th Century Pictures, it's 20th Century Studios. I think Pictures sounds nicer, but for legal reasons they may have not been able to use it? Either that or just chose not to.

So will this be retrospectively changed on old films, for example old films newly streamed or newly released on Blu-ray?

She pushed for Deadpool, she pushed for Logan, she salvaged Bohemian Rhapsody, she has strong ties with Matthew Vaughn and James Cameron, Ryan Reynolds and Matt Reeves...

End of an era. Whoever gets her will be very lucky.
She's an excellent Studio chief and imo, Disney is foolish for letting her walk. Alan Horn doesn't have many more years left in him, she would've made a more than perfect replacement.