Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

Jesus. Give the kid a break. That’s been his thesis for the last page, someone pushed back on it and that was his response. You two are actually in agreement.
Firstly, I don’t know what you want me to give a break from. This is my only post on this entire page of the thread.
I’ll be honest, I did not get the chance to thoroughly read the entire discussion leading up to that prior to posting; I saw something that conflicted with my knowledge of the theme park industry, and sought to correct it. And, I would like to sincerely apologize to @Cup_Of_Coffee if my response was too curt or harsh. That was not my intent.
However, upon further investigation, while he was the main proponent of budget cuts/setbacks due to the virus (which I am in firm agreement with), the post that I quoted appeared to deviate from that initial thought, towards the notion of it causes KidZone to close AND for “movement” to begin on its replacement “soon.” If that interpretation was incorrect, I would once again like to offer my sincerest apologies. But, it was that interpretation that I (believed myself to have) politely disagreed with.

No, but I'm not sure what other feasible option there is for 2022/2023 unless its SLOP and a new show of some sorts. Thats how I think you get guests in at this point. There's just not enough time for things to be done imo.

But who knows, maybe COVID-19 will be what kills kid zone and we see movement there soon.

I agree in the sense that whatever comes doesn't need to be massive. I'm not expecting Diagon Alley 2.0 for USF, but something like SLOP or whatever is currently being looked at to replace Shrek would be a perfect addition for the year before EU. Something big enough to give Universal marketing material for the year, while still being budget conscious.

I agree in the sense that whatever comes doesn't need to be massive. I'm not expecting Diagon Alley 2.0 for USF, but something like SLOP or whatever is currently being looked at to replace Shrek would be a perfect addition for the year before EU. Something big enough to give Universal marketing material for the year, while still being budget conscious.
I think there’s just a potential at this point they either don’t have a thing after Velocicoaster in the park, or the park is pushed back a year and we get an addition at USF between 2022/2023, I’d say likely SLOP

Considering the initial (internal) response to SLoP was positive, I’d expect Orlando is interested in moving forward on it. However, as the head of Creative, I wouldn’t replace Shrek with it. I’d build it on the SS33 plot and replace the library flat with apartments facade. I’d actually put a Sing show in Shrek and turn Monsters Cafe into a the Minions restaurant. That logically bleeds New York and “Illumination Way” into each other.

I've long been a proponent of putting some kind of attraction back there, but I was under the impression it was off-limits for park expansion.
Events “owns” it. But, there’s been a shuffle in relation to who has control of what soundstage. Now that Entertainment no longer has SS22, I think that could serve as a new “Events” soundstage, because it’s actually a better spot. Food has to travel another 150 yards, but it’s immediately accessible to the park instead of out of the way.

Frankly, I don’t know why the sound stages got shuffled. But I think there has to be a reason. DAVE School’s departure, in my head, isn’t enough for full adjustments. Either Creative is taking over another soundstage to prep/test EU (admittedly more likely), more productions taking place (possible), or a soundstage is getting removed for an attraction (*crosses fingers*).

Considering the initial (internal) response to SLoP was positive, I’d expect Orlando is interested in moving forward on it. However, as the head of Creative, I wouldn’t replace Shrek with it. I’d build it on the SS33 plot and replace the library flat with apartments facade. I’d actually put a Sing show in Shrek and turn Monsters Cafe into a the Minions restaurant. That logically bleeds New York and “Illumination Way” into each other.
Maybe this is the lazy way to do it, but I always presume SLOP takes Shrek, and Sing Live On Tour plays the main music stage at various times a day with meet n greets with the characters afterwards. Plus then Illimunation way isn’t blocked partly by Fallon.

Maybe this is the lazy way to do it, but I always presume SLOP takes Shrek, and Sing Live On Tour plays the main music stage at various times a day with meet n greets with the characters afterwards. Plus then Illimunation way isn’t blocked partly by Fallon.
I imagine a Sing attraction that mimics MuppetVision 3D, only leveraging more musion effects than strictly film. Some animatronics/puppets, a couple of live performers (guests, potentially--take a cue from the American Idol Experience), musion versions of the animated characters. I think there's potential to do something high-tech, quirky, and unique.

Something like that has to go in a building.

Last edited:
I imagine a Sing attraction that mimics MuppetVision 3D, only leveraging more musion effects than strictly film. Some animatronics/puppets, a couple of life performers (guests, potentially--take a cue from the American Idol Experience), musion versions of the animated characters. I think there's potential to do something high-tech, quirky, and unique.

Something like that has to go in a building.
Hey man I’m for it. All sounds good to me if they’re going to add an attraction or show to an area that doesn’t have anything (whether that’s Sing or SLOP), if anything I think Sing goes where you want SLOP to, have it almost like a broadway theatre like experience

So, I’ve been pondering the “new Studios entryway” discussion that most everyone here wants. There‘s a number of challenges in accomplishing that, especially because the current entry is so small. However, I think I found a solution. It’s not perfect, but it’s a bit subversive and I think it works.

The biggest assumption about the design is that HRRR is gone. It still works if it remains however, my preference is to remove it and put in a small playground/couple of flats. Ideally, Minion Mayhem is gutted and expands through the HRRR loading station for a dark ride (Villain-Con). If that happens, the HRRR area can become Super Silly Fun Land. Regardless, the HRRR noodle bowl has a lot of space for attraction(s).

The other big shift is the entrance direction. That slight left turn when you cross the bridge has always bothered me, so now, it’s a straight shot with the Brown Derby becoming the new entrance intersection.

So, I’ve been pondering the “new Studios entryway” discussion that most everyone here wants. There‘s a number of challenges in accomplishing that, especially because the current entry is so small. However, I think I found a solution. It’s not perfect, but it’s a bit subversive and I think it works.

The biggest assumption about the design is that HRRR is gone. It still works if it remains however, my preference is to remove it and put in a small playground/couple of flats. Ideally, Minion Mayhem is gutted and expands through the HRRR loading station for a dark ride (Villain-Con). If that happens, the HRRR area can become Super Silly Fun Land. Regardless, the HRRR noodle bowl has a lot of space for attraction(s).

The other big shift is the entrance direction. That slight left turn when you cross the bridge has always bothered me, so now, it’s a straight shot with the Brown Derby becoming the new entrance intersection.

HRRR gone for two attraction plots would be worth it

Also, I love the idea of the parks opening up to Hollywood instead of the NY facade

HRRR gone for two attraction plots would be worth it

Also, I love the idea of the parks opening up to Hollywood instead of the NY facade
That was my main takeaway as well. Absolutely love it, imagine walking into the parks and seeing all the characters out! Doc could literally meet you at the gates. Awesome idea!

I'm surprised they haven't redone the entrance a bit more like IOA, seeing as how they could have expanded merch space and it would make the park feel more expansive

Thinking post EU and hopefully more normal world, I really have to think that Toon Lagoon is IOA’s next project. I know it’s been beaten to death, but I really hope Rivendell is what happens. I think it’d fit in well to IOA, particularly that area, and would be STUNNING. Raft ride expanded and a dark ride that’s a mix of like Indy/Gringotts for an epic battle scene would be amazing. I’m sure they could get a top notch battle scene.

Unless Dune becomes a massive hit, there aren’t a ton of other major IPs out there until DC becomes available (which id only ever expect to see at EU or on the west coast), LOTR is really it. Pokémon we know there are rumors for at least so we may get that massive IP. I’d hope they’re working on Zelda, but past that? It’s LOTR. By 2025/2026 it’d have been awhile for anything new for IOA, I think the park may need it.

I know it’s been discussed forever, but man Rivendell would be so beautiful

Thinking post EU and hopefully more normal world, I really have to think that Toon Lagoon is IOA’s next project. I know it’s been beaten to death, but I really hope Rivendell is what happens. I think it’d fit in well to IOA, particularly that area, and would be STUNNING. Raft ride expanded and a dark ride that’s a mix of like Indy/Gringotts for an epic battle scene would be amazing. I’m sure they could get a top notch battle scene.

Unless Dune becomes a massive hit, there aren’t a ton of other major IPs out there until DC becomes available (which id only ever expect to see at EU or on the west coast), LOTR is really it. Pokémon we know there are rumors for at least so we may get that massive IP. I’d hope they’re working on Zelda, but past that? It’s LOTR. By 2025/2026 it’d have been awhile for anything new for IOA, I think the park may need it.

I know it’s been discussed forever, but man Rivendell would be so beautiful

LOTR in general would be my top pic, but that's purely because I love the World it created.
I'd be sad to see Toon Lagoon go (I know I'm in the minority here) but if it would be for LOTR I could live with it. I'm guessing Duddley's would/could be totalled for something new?

On Shrek, I'd actually turn it into a flexible multiple films venue like Dreamworks theatre. SLOP could go somewhere else, probably as a new build.

LOTR in general would be my top pic, but that's purely because I love the World it created.
I'd be sad to see Toon Lagoon go (I know I'm in the minority here) but if it would be for LOTR I could live with it. I'm guessing Duddley's would/could be totalled for something new?

On Shrek, I'd actually turn it into a flexible multiple films venue like Dreamworks theatre. SLOP could go somewhere else, probably as a new build.
Dudley’s and the Ampitheatre could make for a gigantic show building for sure. That’s my dream lol with Rivendell blocking guests from seeing it