Let's play being head of Universal Creative... | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Let's play being head of Universal Creative...

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Lost Universal Land- Bring Back Iconic Attractions updated with today's technology. Jaws, Back to the Future, Beatlejuice Graveyard Review, Wild West Stunt Show, move and update ET.
Twister and the late Bill Paxton in their too please, along with Mr Frank Kincaide.

Right... okay.

2020 - Bourne Stunt show

2021 - VelocityRaptor in JP; New Nighttime Parade at Studios; FF closes for good

2022 - SLoP replaces Shrek; Spongebob Stageshow in Toon Lagoon; VB Expansion opens; F&F closes

2023 - Knight Bus replaces F&F:Supercharged; Matilda opens in Fear Factor Plot; StormForce gets enclosed; X-Men Academy Playground opens behind Fantastic Four Cafe (note... these are all fairly low cost changes by design); Simpsons Ride and MiB close; Lost Continent closes

2024 - Epic Universe Opens; Central Park Playground opens in Studios

2025 - Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift indoor coaster opens in MiB and part of Simpsons ride; Toon Lagoon goes down (whole damn thing); Remainder of Simpsons and KidZone goes down

2026 - Hyrule opens in Lost Continent; Despicable Me and Studio Store closes

2027 - Far Far Away opens in EU; Complete new Studios entrance; Pokemon opens on Kidzone and Remainder of Simpsons plot; Mummy closes

2028 - LotR opens in Toon Lagoon; Ghostbusters replaces Mummy

Right... okay.

2020 - Bourne Stunt show

2021 - VelocityRaptor in JP; New Nighttime Parade at Studios; FF closes for good

2022 - SLoP replaces Shrek; Spongebob Stageshow in Toon Lagoon; VB Expansion opens; F&F closes

2023 - Knight Bus replaces F&F:Supercharged; Matilda opens in Fear Factor Plot; StormForce gets enclosed; X-Men Academy Playground opens behind Fantastic Four Cafe (note... these are all fairly low cost changes by design); Simpsons Ride and MiB close; Lost Continent closes

2024 - Epic Universe Opens; Central Park Playground opens in Studios

2025 - Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift indoor coaster opens in MiB and part of Simpsons ride; Toon Lagoon goes down (whole damn thing); Remainder of Simpsons and KidZone goes down

2026 - Hyrule opens in Lost Continent; Despicable Me and Studio Store closes

2027 - Far Far Away opens in EU; Complete new Studios entrance; Pokemon opens on Kidzone and Remainder of Simpsons plot; Mummy closes

2028 - LotR opens in Toon Lagoon; Ghostbusters replaces Mummy
Interesting ideas, except you have basically three lands closing in 2023, the same year EU opens. I realize those areas need help, but I feel like Universal is gonna want all of their parks to be looking their best with little construction walls up come opening of EU. But you never know. EU could eat into attendance for the current parks, meaning that it would be an optimal time to work on their future development.

Interesting ideas, except you have basically three lands closing in 2023, the same year EU opens. I realize those areas need help, but I feel like Universal is gonna want all of their parks to be looking their best with little construction walls up come opening of EU. But you never know. EU could eat into attendance for the current parks, meaning that it would be an optimal time to work on their future development.
That was actually my justification for it. I don’t think any park after an original park has provided “pure” gains to a resort’s attendance numbers. From my perspective, it takes 2-5 years for numbers to truly level out—especially after a second park.

Reactions: Nick
Maybe its just me but I can't see Hyrule and LOTR in the same park. Even if they just build Hobbiton or something like that I still feel the properties are similar enough to not work in the same exact park. I think Hyrule at Epic Universe, and Pokemon at USF in 2024 with kid zone closing in August of this year.

Simpsons and possibly Men in Black plot are used for future expansion of Pokemon. Fear Factor can become another show or an extension of London and Diagon.

I really am not sure what should replace Lost Continent at this point. If the reboot does very well, I think Far Far Away would really work in Islands of Adventure. Would help bring more families to that park as well especially if they do end up getting LOTR. I'd hope LOTR opens in 2026, Pokemon in 2024, and closures of Mummy in 2025, closure of Lost Continent after LOTR opens, and opening of Hyrule at EU for 2027.

I decided to do another one of these, but centered around the idea of redoing USF (shocking, I know). It's an (overly) ambitious proposal for a dramatic transformation to bring IP lands into USF and set the park up for a stronger future. I know that the cost would probably be unreasonable, and some of the proposed changes are weird and likely to be unpopular. Yet, land is at premium for UOR, and this is the best long term approach I came up with.

I've left hotels off the list, since I figure they're coming anyways and I can't really predict when. Also, in many of the later years I have left IP's unspecified because I don't feel ready to determine what exactly the best combinations would be, but I imagine LOTR, Zelda, KFP, and Shrek being on the list of candidates along with other Dreamworks and Illumination IP's that may not exist yet. With that in mind, here's the plan:

2020:
-Bourne opens
-Shrek closes

2021:
-Jurassic Coaster opens
-East half of Kidzone closes (play areas & coaster)

2022:
-A new theater replaces shrek, ideally of the non-screen type
-VB expansion opens
-West half of Kidzone closes (Barney & Animal Actors)

2023:
-Epic Universe opens with the four rumored lands
-A new Minions land replaces the east half of Kidzone featuring a newly built Minion Mayhem with 3D, a clone of Freeze ray sliders from USJ, and some themed shops to sell more merch
-Old minions ride closes; HRRR closes; one of Lost Continent or Toon Lagoon closes
-The universal studios store is temporarily relocated to the former minions building; phased construction of a new entrance to USF begins

2024:
-Universal wonderland replaces the west half of Kidzone featuring a Trolls flume ride, a play area, and a relatively unthemed coaster that extends north into the expansion pad
-Phased construction on the new USF entrance continues
-FFL and MIB close

2025:
-The monsters phase 2 ride opens at Epic Universe ;)
-A new IP land replaces LC or TL (whichever closed in 2023)
-New USF entrance and universal studios store is completed

2026:
-Pokemon replaces FFL and MIB and extends into the expansion area while featuring a new dark ride, a show, a kids coaster, and a play area
-The remaining of TL or LC closes

2027:
-A new dark ride opens at the front of USF highlighting many Universal films (and former park attractions?) as a modern, Universal version of the "Great Movie Ride"
-SNW:Mario at Epic Universe is expanded with a new area featuring other characters from the mario family of games and a Luigi's mansion dark ride
-Mummy and F&F close

2028:
-A new IP land replaces TL or LC
-Simpsons closes whenever the contract ends

2029:
-A new IP land replaces Mummy and F&F

2030:
-Another expansion opens at Epic Universe, could be an IP land or a water park

2031:
-Universal Wonderland is expanded onto the former Simpsons area including a small dark ride on the scale of SLOP but with a Dreamworks/Illumination IP that's relevant at the time

There's a lot happening here, so I made a rough layout of what USF might look like in late 2027: *see notes below*

6QRVhPOl.png

Notes:
- The general color scheme is blue for rides, green for shows, red for play areas, yellow for entrance buildings, and purple for restaurants, shops, and other general filler.
- Most buildings are sized based on comparables at other universal parks, except for the flume which is the shape and size of WDW's splash mountain. Thus, I would expect the actual shapes in the "Universal Wonderland" area to be quite a bit different, but this at least shows the space is there.
- I know that areas like Pokemon would also be laid out differently than my drawing for thematic reasons, but again I just wanted a sense of how things could fit.
- The entrance redesign is just a concept as well, and there are plenty of other ways it could be done to achieve the same improvements.
- This is just a quick mock up in google earth, so please don't judge it too heavily. There are lots of things worth criticizing about this proposal, but the drawing quality isn't one of them.

Reactions: belloq87
I have to say... IF I were the head of Universal creative right now, while all my focus would likely be on EU and perfecting that as much as possible, id HAVE to be thinking of replacing Kidzone as the next major project. Honestly, is this the worst "Land" or "area" in a major Orlando theme park right now? There's really no draw for guests to come here. Is Barney even still on TV? Im 22 and if anything I feel this area would appeal to my generation the most and I can personally say that it doesn't whatsoever. Minus the fact the attractions themselves are not stellar. Animal Actors is the best part of it and I'm even eh on that one. To me, unless they clearly and definitely did not have a Pokemon or LOTR or another major IP planned for Epic Universe, can't help but feel not putting SNW here was a mistake. It helps with every issue the park has minus a water ride. Immersive land, interactivity, an area for kids and families, 2 e tickets all with no screen help (I don't consider the AR glasses to be screens, we've heard enough that Mario Kart will have full on sets), and a Yoshi omnimover for the little ones. It quite literally fits all their boxed they need checked right now.

Now, can another land do this exact same thing? Im sure. A Pokemon safari ride along with a small D ticket boat ride would fit perfectly as well. That being said, and maybe its because we've actually seen what SNW will bring. Idk, if I were head of UC id be kicking myself for not bringing this to Orlando sooner and getting those hotel bookings and original potter like crowds. Just my thinking though, but that's exactly what id currently be doing haha. Kicking myself for not opening it sooner. I can't imagine being the 3rd SNW to open will hurt attendance but id think they want this to open in Orlando first due to all the hotel bookings they could benefit from it. But alas, here we area. Id love Trolls or KFP be in Kidzone, but its likely a Nintendo property. I just feel SNW quite literally fit PERFECTLY into this area.

Gonna throw my hat in the ring here...This is partially me imagining things I would like along with some strange decisions that I'd personally find funny.

2020: Whatever rides that were slated to open this spring open on the same day sometime this summer, Universal does some sort of special celebration celebrating the reopening of the parks.

2021: Jurassic Park Coaster opens with re-imagined Discovery Center Elements.
For no discernible reason, a Volcano Bay expansion opens in the Fall rather than in Spring 2022.
Shrek 4D closes. One theater becomes the Epic Universe Preview Center, while the other theater remains as Horror Nights space. During HHN, both the preview center and the maze operate at the same time. Anticipating sound issues, Universal organizes the EU preview center so the Monsters section adjoins the Horror Night maze.

2022: Rumors abound of a Fast and Furious closure, but Universal surprises the community by abruptly closing KidZone instead and announcing a Pokemon expansion 3 years in advance. KidZone curse gets passed on to Fast and Furious, which closes in 2048.

2023: Epic Universe opens with all its planned attractions intact.
Construction on Creature from the Black Lagoon ride begins, a decision that, though appreciated, somewhat tarnishes the immaculate atmosphere of the Monsters land.
EU preview center closes.
Universal begins construction of Secret Life of Pets in the Shrek 4D space.
Demolition of KidZone begins.

2024: SLOP opens
USF main entrance redo begins.
Toon Lagoon closes...kind of. The amphitheater, Comic Strip Cafe, Dudley Do-Right, and the main shopping strip are all demolished, but an awkward pathway of walls is created bridging Marvel to Sweet Haven. Sweet Haven becomes the most congested island at Islands of Adventure, and work begins not only on Lord of the Rings, but also on thematically separating it from the national treasure that is Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-rat Barges.

2025: Creature from the Black Lagoon opens. Becomes world's most critically acclaimed ride, ensuring Monsters Land with never be demolished for the hot new thing.
Pokemon opens, with a Wild (Play) Area, a Pokemon Safari Boat Ride, and some kind of E-Ticket involving legendary Pokemon. Universal makes all the money. Woody Woodpecker, Barney, Curious George, and E.T get inducted as honorary Pokemon.
USF entrance redo opens.
Universal finally realizes they can make money off of people's nostalgia for classic attractions. Unfortunately, nostalgia is a foreign concept Universal doesn't understand. Consequently, Universal spends all their Pokemon money reopening and creating merchandise for The 8th Voyage of Sindbad.

2026: Bit of a breather year. Though construction on a Zelda Expansion begins in Epic Universe.

2027: Lord of the Rings opens and while the rides are beloved, the land itself has a mixed response for some reason. :shrug:

2028: Zelda expansion opens. Ride is great. There are immersive, highly-themed rope and climbing courses. Different flavored potions.

Sometime after:

Lost Continent gets a nice new ride
Sindbad and Popeye's both celebrate their 30th anniversaries.
Construction starts on an Avatar: The Last Airbender land because seriously how has that not happened yet.
Animal Crossing hotel ;)

Here goes nothing:

2020: Bourne Stunt Show: Starts USF's final push in a pre-EU world. Focus of these next few additions is practical effects. While IOA holds the thrill ride reputation, and EU will go on to hold the immersion reputation, USF can be seen as the place to feel like you are on set.

2021: Jurassic Park Coaster/USF Nighttime Parade: JP Coaster cements IOA as the thrill park, while the parade can help hold crowds into the night as USF. Continues to build on real entertainment that Bourne helped kick off. You're not just watching performances on a screen, you are seeing real stunt actors and real dancers/characters in the street on parade.

2022: Convert JP River Adventure to JW: A bit optional, but it seems like the reception at USH is good. Helps round out the back half of the park, leaving Toon Lagoon and LC as the only weak areas in IOA. Toon Lagoon's weak because of irrelevant properties, not because of attractions. LC holds a cool theme, but lacks everything else. If you choose not to convert River Adventure, then slide the parade to 2022.

2023: USF Attraction: This is left blank, as I really don't know what their move would be by this point. I would guess whatever Shrek is being torn down for would open in this slot. Is SLoP something that fits in that spot? Does a ride even replace Shrek? Maybe that space gets re-purposed as walkways, restaurant, etc. If Shrek area isn't used, then perhaps something finally opens in Kidzone?

2024: Epic Universe Opens: Given the seriousness of COVID-19, I think we see this park get pushed back. This is probably for the best, as it allows time for the tourism economy to rebound a bit. Hopefully there is also time to tweak any problems with the Nintendo attractions that will have already opened in other Universal locations. Take your time with getting this park right, please do not rush it.

Other random tidbits...
  • I think Fast & Furious survives for years to come. The ride sucks, but the brand is so strong that it'll probably continue to bring in plenty of guests who don't know what they're getting into. Even when I told my brother 100 times how bad and dumb the ride is, it was the most hyped he was for any ride our entire trip.
  • Volcano Bay will not see an expansion. Assuming cuts/delays will have to happen, it seems like one of the easiest to make. Aside from record-breaking slides, I can't imagine a new slide or two really moves the needle on advertising like it does for a dry park attraction.
  • Universal will work something out to keep the Simpsons in USF. This is really me just being a Simpsons fanboy that doesn't want to accept a reality where I can't buy Duff Beer at Moe's.
  • There won't be a renovation to USF's entrance. Much like VB, not the biggest priority.
  • Clubs, excluding Rising Star, will be phased out of Citywalk. Emphasis will shift to things like Escape Rooms, VR, etc. Much like WWE learned in the 2000s, there's more money in being family oriented than there is an a smaller demographic.
  • At some point, Universal's shuttle service turns into a free perk. Total guess here, but I never use it because Uber/Lyft are way easier and cheaper. If the service was free (or the price was just hidden in my hotel cost), I'd probably start taking it every trip.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
If I’m Universal I cancel any other project after JP/Velocicoaster and just do all I can to make Epic Universe open by 2023. Some people (or at least the rich) should be vacationing by then, take advantage of the opportunity with a brand new park. Make up for lost time in 2024/2025.

If I’m Universal I cancel any other project after JP/Velocicoaster and just do all I can to make Epic Universe open by 2023. Some people (or at least the rich) should be vacationing by then, take advantage of the opportunity with a brand new park. Make up for lost time in 2024/2025.

If I recall correctly, the rumor is that EU was shooting for a late 2023 opening. Cancelling projects beyond JP Coaster would mean back to back summers with nothing new to advertise. I can’t see them doing that.

If I recall correctly, the rumor is that EU was shooting for a late 2023 opening. Cancelling projects beyond JP Coaster would mean back to back summers with nothing new to advertise. I can’t see them doing that.
Idk, if they're closed until June then they're losing tons of money, and if closed further than that than that is a summer without guests. I could see spending being less a new parade, possible small show or new restaurant in USF, and JP coaster spring 2021 as a big advertiser. Plus, if they have a big preview center in the park than that is their advertising. I think they just offer good prices to counter Disney for the next few years to makeup for lost crowds. We shall see, Id still love SLOP of course but thinking it may not be realistic before EU unless everything gets pushed back a year, which of course could happen.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
I think they just offer good prices to counter Disney for the next few years to makeup for lost crowds.
Universal's prices are already better than Disney's in my opinion, and the whole resort experience is way more convenient.

Bringing it back to Blue Sky, I still think by the end of the decade Universal will be in a healthier place with...

USH coming into its own by 2028 Olympics with large expansions
USF injected with more variety
IOA good as ever
EU with world-class attractions and cementing Universal as a Disney substitute rather than an addition
USJ doing its thing
Singapore becoming more well-rounded
Beijing bolstering Universal's numbers, and hopefully with a second park in development with unique rides directly tied to Chinese properties.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Idk, if they're closed until June then they're losing tons of money, and if closed further than that than that is a summer without guests. I could see spending being less a new parade, possible small show or new restaurant in USF, and JP coaster spring 2021 as a big advertiser. Plus, if they have a big preview center in the park than that is their advertising. I think they just offer good prices to counter Disney for the next few years to makeup for lost crowds. We shall see, Id still love SLOP of course but thinking it may not be realistic before EU unless everything gets pushed back a year, which of course could happen.

A preview center doesn’t pull new guests in, it just gives current guests a reason to come back.

Disney has been loading up for the last few years between Toy Story, Star Wars, Tron, Guardians, and more for the 2021 anniversary. This would not be the time to cave in and let them steal market share back from Universal.

IoA has enough “new stuff” between Hagrid’s and JP Coaster to go toe to toe with a Disney park come 2021, but USF trying to survive off of just Bourne for 5 years isn’t gonna get people to drop a day off of their Disney trip and head over to Universal.

Reactions: belloq87
A preview center doesn’t pull new guests in, it just gives current guests a reason to come back.

Disney has been loading up for the last few years between Toy Story, Star Wars, Tron, Guardians, and more for the 2021 anniversary. This would not be the time to cave in and let them steal market share back from Universal.

IoA has enough “new stuff” between Hagrid’s and JP Coaster to go toe to toe with a Disney park come 2021, but USF trying to survive off of just Bourne for 5 years isn’t gonna get people to drop a day off of their Disney trip and head over to Universal.
No, but I'm not sure what other feasible option there is for 2022/2023 unless its SLOP and a new show of some sorts. Thats how I think you get guests in at this point. There's just not enough time for things to be done imo.

But who knows, maybe COVID-19 will be what kills kid zone and we see movement there soon.

No, but I'm not sure what other feasible option there is for 2022/2023 unless its SLOP and a new show of some sorts. Thats how I think you get guests in at this point. There's just not enough time for things to be done imo.

But who knows, maybe COVID-19 will be what kills kid zone and we see movement there soon.
If COVID kills anything, it won’t be to allow movement/construction.

If COVID kills anything, it won’t be to allow movement/construction.
Jesus. Give the kid a break. That’s been his thesis for the last page, someone pushed back on it and that was his response. You two are actually in agreement.