Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ice Breaker (SWO)

There seems to be a major pushback now against anything that’s not an e ticket attraction.
Agreed. How many areas of parks would be improved by just a couple unique flats that eat up a couple hundred people an hour?
I think the issue is that it’s not really being “presented” as a mid-tier. Virtual POVs across a dark, icy tundra. Teases. Even the name “Ice Breaker.” They all imply something designed as a top-tier thrill machine. But it’s not. SeaWorld is putting the expectations on themselves.

They could easily soften the marketing a touch to make it FEEL family friendly, and a lot of the pushback wouldn’t exist. If it’s a fun, family-friendly, mid-tier, advertise it as such.

Yeah but it’s certainly not supposed to be cutesy either. Believe it or not 8 year old boys love stuff like that, not everything non-teen/adult needs to be light-hearted and silly. This is like the equivalent to Cedar Point’s Corkscrew.

Y'all are missing the point. This isn't supposed to be anything special. It's just supposed to fill a major hole in the lineup, a family coaster in a park lacking them entirely.
How is there a point being missed with being excited for a new roller coaster?

SeaWorld make new coaster- > New coaster=Good. I sees a new coaster, I likes it. Unless it's a clone *seethes in Tigris's direction*

This would be a MAJOR coaster in most parks, but in the Orlando market it's not going to be a record breaker so it's getting overlooked or looked down on.

But SeaWorld is a park that was not known for rides until about 20 years ago. Since then they've added three world class coasters all of which have 54" height limits. They've added kids stuff. They really haven't added much that is family friendly until Infinity Falls and now Ice Breaker. While most parks (including the other SeaWorld parks) have added flat rides for that market, SeaWorld Orlando has added two large and great rides aimed at that middle ground instead.

This looks like a significantly better coaster than Tigris. There are a couple interesting elements and a couple of good pops of airtime. I think not having inversions is a good idea. It opens it up to a lot of people who are afraid of loops. Like Mako, this isn't record breaking, but it should be a fun addition to the park. The attraction line up is getting to be pretty strong.

It could be worse, they could be trying to build a dark ride again

Am I the only one who is excited for this and thinks it is perfectly placed?

It seems like a holdover for the Surf Coaster concept (if it happens)

If you're saying Tigris is better than Montu, I respectfully question your judgement.

Montu is fine to me. Nothing special. I understand why people love it though.

This feels like bait

It legitimately isn't. Tigris is just an adrenaline rush that defeats everything at BGT. Not saying the other coasters are bad btw, as Shiekra, Kumba, and Cobra's Curse are awesome. But there's something about Tigris that I love. Can't explain it.

How is there a point being missed with being excited for a new roller coaster?

SeaWorld make new coaster- > New coaster=Good. I sees a new coaster, I likes it. Unless it's a clone *seethes in Tigris's direction*
Most people don’t know when a coaster is a clone; especially when the park is mostly regional (which SeaWorld is). And no, a new coaster does not automatically equal “good.” There are countless serviceable coasters that the general public recognizes as such. But when a park pushes a marketing campaign for a serviceable coaster as a competitive thrill machine, the general public is going to push back a bit. And I think that’s what we’re seeing.

It legitimately isn't. Tigris is just an adrenaline rush that defeats everything at BGT. Not saying the other coasters are bad btw, as Shiekra, Kumba, and Cobra's Curse are awesome. But there's something about Tigris that I love. Can't explain it.
Different strokes for different folks. Tigris is the most unique in the park in terms of what it provides.

I find BGT's B&M collection top notch, and rivals a lot of other parks around the world

Most people don’t know when a coaster is a clone; especially when the park is mostly regional (which SeaWorld is). And no, a new coaster does not automatically equal “good.” There are countless serviceable coasters that the general public recognizes as such. But when a park pushes a marketing campaign for a serviceable coaster as a competitive thrill machine, the general public is going to push back a bit. And I think that’s what we’re seeing.
Ice Breaker looks like a kiddie coaster when compared to Velocicoaster

The severe lack of theming, story, anything is also not helping the case

Still though, I am excited for it as I think it will fill a gap once we get another bigger coaster

I wish it was opening in conjunction with something else tbh...Wild Arctic redo, Sesame Arctic Dark ride, idk

Personally, I need more than just airtime, which is the only unique thing it provides to BG. Thankfully Iron Gwazi is around the bend.

Again, even though it's slower, I'll take Ice Breaker over Fairground Ring of Fire 2: Electric Boogaloo all day. I don't blame SeaWorld for trying to use all the superlatives to generate hype for this coaster given the current travel market. They're trying to put butts in seats. And they're hoping a unique family-oriented, swing launched out-and-back with a beyond vertical spike, a top hat, Jr Immelman, speed hills, and a wave turn thingy can move the momentum in a positive direction.

And I hope it does, because I want whatever the Surf Coaster is sooner, rather than later.

Other than the lack of theming, I'm not too disappointed. It's a mid tier ride and for air time fans it'll be solid. My only concern is that it'll be just as uncomfortable as Tigris.

I'd really like to see Sea World invest in flat rides. The Orlando market seems to treat them like a badges of shame, but I'd take well themed flats over Penguin Exhibit The Ride. It would be quite nice to see them seize the opportunity to fill the market gap. Continue to make BG and SW similar but complimentary experiences. Once they replace Wild Arctic (hopefully with a dark ride that's actually good) and the Penguins (keep the theming since that's the best part and put anything that's actually worthwhile. Tbf, I'm sure there are some people that appreciate the ride if only because they can actually ride it or it breaks up the monotony) along with whatever other thrill rides come, it'll be such a nice park.

Oh, and Tigris is a torture machine rather than an attraction. If I didn't know IG was coming right after (well, not right after anymore) I would have been very unhappy.

Push back from who exactly? Enthusiasts (read: Junkies) on a forum? The general population (especially AP holders that like SW because it's relatively cheap, less crowded, or that it offers simple thrills and smaller crowds) will be perfectly fine with the addition. I'm sure people have and will notice that Sea World isn't trying to compete on the same level as peers in the area much at all anymore, but I don't think they care for the reasons I mentioned.

Last edited:
The train was loaded with water dummies on Friday when we were there, and today they are doing some testing and adjusting of the launch: