Super Nintendo World (Osaka) | Page 131 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Osaka)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, but that one leak is not going to be seen by the majority of people who visit SNW, so the jury is still out, and it’s one screen before unload. So I’m not sure what “Universal is bringing on themselves” here I guess is my confusion. Not demeaning any of our opinions either, we’re just not the majority of people who go to these parks.
When your theme park design arm is lambasted across the theme park fandom for doing nothing but building rides with screens, right or wrong, maybe showing people your big new ride isn't just screens would be a good idea instead of treating your big new ride like it's a new secrete national defense weapon.

At some point Uni should actually show off their rides instead of pretending they don't exist.

I've shared detailed rumors and even track layouts over the last two years... but one photo of chonky Toad and Twitter went off on me like I was the devil. The internet is a funny place sometimes.

I mean, how can you not share chonky Toad?!
You did the right thing. The world needs more chonky Toad.

• Haha
Reactions: Tristan and Alicia
When your theme park design arm is lambasted across the theme park fandom for doing nothing but building rides with screens, right or wrong, maybe showing people your big new ride isn't just screens would be a good idea instead of treating your big new ride like it's a new secrete national defense weapon.

At some point Uni should actually show off their rides instead of pretending they don't exist.
Walt Disney World shows half of Rise of the Resistance in official footage in marketing materials the week before it opens. Universal shows 4 seconds of Revenge of the Mummy footage a decade after it opens.

These parks go so far in opposite directions when it comes to marketing, but I just wish they met somewhere in the middle.

No one spoils a Disney ride as well as Disney.

Walt Disney World shows half of Rise of the Resistance in official footage in marketing materials the week before it opens. Universal shows 4 seconds of Revenge of the Mummy footage a decade after it opens.

These parks go so far in opposite directions when it comes to marketing, but I just wish they met somewhere in the middle.

No one spoils a Disney ride as well as Disney.
This is where I’m at. I get the argument Universal needs to show things off more, but to say “Universal asked for this” when the one final screen of MK leaks is being a bit hyperbolic I think.

We all agree there’s a fine line in the middle here. Universal has realeased 2 official things for MK and that is it, where we had Smugglers Run and Rise basically shown how they worked behing the scene via The Imagineering Story weeks after it opened. They’re 2 different companies.

If anything though people here should know to just wait for Universal rather than base everything off of one review or one brief leak. Why people have an issue with YOU though is dumbfounding.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I see this is becoming a discussion on Twitter, but rather than tweeting about it and opening that can of worms on my feed, I thought I'd speak my peace here.

Putting aside whether or not sharing spoilers for attractions or a theme park land that is only in previews is moral, I wanted to address this strange legal question that has arisen.

The way I look at it, guests and passholders that were invited to the Super Nintendo World previews had to agree to not share photos or videos on social media before the land officially opens on February 4th. This information is posted on the registration site AND again on signage as you enter the land. Anyone that disobeys this rule is subject to having their annual pass revoked, or other measures that the park can take legally, including trespassing you from the park. The reaction may be severe, but considering these guests agreed to the rule prior to entering the preview, they are in fact breaking a rule set by the park by sharing photos online.

You know who didn't agree to this rule, legally speaking? Anyone that has not physically attended the preview in Universal Studios Japan. If you were to share a selfie from someone else's Instagram feed on one of your own channels, legally speaking, it would be up to the owner of that photograph to take legal action, (whether by DMCA or other regionally similar means,) to have it removed from your account.

Some may argue that art within photographs is also protected by copyright laws and could be asked to be removed by the artist, but that's when we start to get into a legal gray area, and may come down to the intent of the original photographer. (Taking photos while on vacation vs taking photos to sell in place of art, etc, but I digress.)

Should Universal Studios Japan have legal authority to police the sharing of photographs taken at a vacation destination, or should that right be held by the photographer?

Regardless, if you attended the preview, and you share photos before the grand opening, you can certainly be punished by the park, and I would highly suggest saving those posts until the 4th. But if you haven't attended yourself.... this is weeeird.

I see this is becoming a discussion on Twitter, but rather than tweeting about it and opening that can of worms on my feed, I thought I'd speak my peace here.

Putting aside whether or not sharing spoilers for attractions or a theme park land that is only in previews is moral, I wanted to address this strange legal question that has arisen.

The way I look at it, guests and passholders that were invited to the Super Nintendo World previews had to agree to not share photos or videos on social media before the land officially opens on February 4th. This information is posted on the registration site AND again on signage as you enter the land. Anyone that disobeys this rule is subject to having their annual pass revoked, or other measures that the park can take legally, including trespassing you from the park. The reaction may be severe, but considering these guests agreed to the rule prior to entering the preview, they are in fact breaking a rule set by the park by sharing photos online.

You know who didn't agree to this rule, legally speaking? Anyone that has not physically attended the preview in Universal Studios Japan. If you were to share a selfie from someone else's Instagram feed on one of your own channels, legally speaking, it would be up to the owner of that photograph to take legal action, (whether by DMCA or other regionally similar means,) to have it removed from your account.

Some may argue that art within photographs is also protected by copyright laws and could be asked to be removed by the artist, but that's when we start to get into a legal gray area, and may come down to the intent of the original photographer. (Taking photos while on vacation vs taking photos to sell in place of art, etc, but I digress.)

Should Universal Studios Japan have legal authority to police the sharing of photographs taken at a vacation destination, or should that right be held by the photographer?

Regardless, if you attended the preview, and you share photos before the grand opening, you can certainly be punished by the park, and I would highly suggest saving those posts until the 4th. But if you haven't attended yourself.... this is weeeird.
While I'm sure its more complex than this, I imagine if Universal has clearly designated a date until photos can be shared, they have every right to enforce it. Again, I'm sure the law is different and more complex, but I would almost equate to filming a broadway show. You're just not allowed, and if you post it online they can enforce whatever laws come of that. Bootlegs are still there right on youtube so some things gain traction and just spread, but, I think Universal probably is operating under some type of format of this not public information yet and they are specifically controlling who the crowd is (like a theatre ticket buyer, not just any USJ guest who happened to walk in). Maybe weird analogy to make but thats what I see it as, if that makes sense? I have to imagine there is some form of Copyright law they can apply to the land as long as it is not a "public" operating land, and currently it is not.

The stranger thing to me is, noooo reactions whatsoever. Like, anyone have any thoughts? Or can we not share those either? THAT to me is strange. No pictures or anything I sorttaaa get especially rides, but also don't you want people to share how much fun they had? Thats the stranger part to me is I feel we have no gauge on what people think on practically anything and tbh, that Mario Kart review I'm just having a hard time getting anything from because they aren't even a Nintendo fan or theme park fan so they had fun which is great, I've had fun watching the Nintendo Direct haha. I need to hear morreee.

Oh yeah, I'm going to ask again: How do you think ride malfunctions are going to be handled? Will the AR temporarily shut down or will there be like a "pause" screen displayed on your goggles? And what if you take off your goggles and put them back on? Will there be any delay in the action or will it calibrate immediately? And imagine the dozens of children that aren't going to like the AR and want to take it off.

This AR tech has me very curious.

Yup. The rules are the rules - whether I agree with it or not.

Reactions: Frogki
It's a giant shame that the first image we see from the actual Mario Kart Ride is of a nasty looking screen. I was under the impression this ride was going to have tons of real sets and special effects and a bunch of animatronics. I know that one single image doesn't mean that stuff isn't there - but man Universal needs to control the narrative a bit here and just post an image or video of a section of the ride to show that it isn't a bunch of boring screens. I'm also not a fan of some scenes being mostly screens and others not. That kind of effect really takes you out of the moment as it's such a harsh contrast and makes the ride seems so disconnected and not believable. Humans aren't dumb, we can tell when something is real and when something is just a flat screens playing a movie...

Kong at Islands is a good example of why tacking on physical scenes to simulated screen rides doesn't work.

There’s a big entry arch into the scene if plans hadn’t changed, but is there more?

My impression was there is more. It's possible the vendor's materials were not used, but based on my understanding certain parties contributed substantial physical elements to the scene...

Reactions: Frogki and Alicia
I don't know why Universal needs to control the narrative to please a bunch of idiots who are going to cry "CHEAP! SCREENZ" no matter what they see. People were complaining about the animatronics on Hagrids.

Given Comcast's reign of simulated screen based rides, it's pretty understandable that many people would be tired of a decade of cheaply thrown together screen rides at this point. Why expecting a billion dollar company to actually build a real ride that is filled with props, scenes and actual physical characters for a change would be considered idiotic is beyond me. I will continue to keep faith that Mario Kart won't be filled with screens though. I already have the screen version of Mario Kart at home.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Universal brings these freak outs on themselves to be honest. The minute I saw the picture I thought “Whoo boy people are not gonna like that”. Instead of showing off one big still from a more impressive scene, Uni allows this kind of picture to be the first look at their rides more often than not, which in turn skews the discourse.

Why they haven’t learned baffles me
I agree

They have this weird habit of just showing the loading area of their dark rides

I wish they would show us more leading up to new attractions, but that's always been a gripe with them

It's a giant shame that the first image we see from the actual Mario Kart Ride is of a nasty looking screen. I was under the impression this ride was going to have tons of real sets and special effects and a bunch of animatronics. I know that one single image doesn't mean that stuff isn't there - but man Universal needs to control the narrative a bit here and just post an image or video of a section of the ride to show that it isn't a bunch of boring screens. I'm also not a fan of some scenes being mostly screens and others not. That kind of effect really takes you out of the moment as it's such a harsh contrast and makes the ride seems so disconnected and not believable. Humans aren't dumb, we can tell when something is real and when something is just a flat screens playing a movie...

Kong at Islands is a good example of why tacking on physical scenes to simulated screen rides doesn't work.
Kong is great, so seriously disagree there

Kong has a great facade, queue, and AA’s. The actual ride is just okay. I don’t mind it, but it’s nothing special.
Disagree highly. Outside the Potter rides and Rise, it’s my favorite ride to open at Disney or Uni the past decade

It’s also not “cheap” or “thrown together” as the poster said all of Uni’s rides has been the past decade, which is a ridiculous statement