Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

So here's a concept for an SNL "Club" that I think will work well:

The venue will be a mixed-used lounge and cocktail bar with small plates. Think lots of barstool space, some lounge seating, and a general laid-back feel. Think Strong Water with more open seating. There will be several TVs in the venue that play comedy specials, SNL reruns, first airings of SNL, etc. PLUS if there are any comedy acts coming through the place they can use this instead of the larger Hard Rock as a venue. Live comedy will definitely take a back seat to being a lounge first.

The venue will be a mixed-used lounge and cocktail bar with small plates. Think lots of barstool space, some lounge seating, and a general laid-back feel. Think Strong Water with more open seating. There will be several TVs in the venue that play comedy specials, SNL reruns, first airings of SNL, etc. PLUS if there are any comedy acts coming through the place they can use this instead of the larger Hard Rock as a venue. Live comedy will definitely take a back seat to being a lounge first.
Think a screen rather than TVs with a stage so it has energy even when no one is performing but the rest is what I wish would happen.
I think Tin Roof could do this and it would help the dead nights

TODAY Cafe type branding, but for SNL, with a small stage... that could work.

For me, if you theme the small stage as a recreation of the one where SNL hosts do the opening monologue, you got yourself a pretty cool backdrop for a bar. (Just put the monitors on above it when not used for live acts of course.)

snlstage.jpeg

RIP The Groove. Rising Star is PACKED most weekend nights being the only nightlife open. Hopefully the SNL thing happens, or something else that stays open until 2. Pat O's and Bobs are cool, but a very different vibe/setting.

RIP The Groove. Rising Star is PACKED most weekend nights being the only nightlife open. Hopefully the SNL thing happens, or something else that stays open until 2. Pat O's and Bobs are cool, but a very different vibe/setting.
This suggests that Rising Star is popular by locals, not resort guests. I think Universal will look for something that is a hit all week for their guests.
A SNL Café (like Hard Rock Café) could work. Not having the promise of a live show but more the atmosphere and televisions playing clips. They could add a buffet style option in an After Party Lounge area.

TODAY Cafe type branding, but for SNL, with a small stage... that could work.

For me, if you theme the small stage as a recreation of the one where SNL hosts do the opening monologue, you got yourself a pretty cool backdrop for a bar. (Just put the monitors on above it when not used for live acts of course.)

View attachment 15498
Or… OR… pull several “classic” opening monologues from the series’ history (I’m thinking 20-30), upscale them and add digital legs, then use Musion technology to project a random host every 20 minutes.

Or… OR… pull several “classic” opening monologues from the series’ history (I’m thinking 20-30), upscale them and add digital legs, then use Musion technology to project a random host every 20 minutes.
To do that though, wouldn't you need to get approval from whatever celebrity did the monologue (or their estate) for theme park/entertainment use, which would seemingly get fairly expensive if they are featured entertainment at this lounge, no?

To do that though, wouldn't you need to get approval from whatever celebrity did the monologue (or their estate) for theme park/entertainment use, which would seemingly get fairly expensive if they are featured entertainment at this lounge, no?

Not if one of the longest serving SNL cast members has a good working relationship with UOR already….

Did every Fallon guest give permission for clips used in Race Through New York queue? Pretty sure NBC and Lorne own the clips, no matter who is in them.

Did every Fallon guest give permission for clips used in Race Through New York queue? Pretty sure NBC and Lorne own the clips, no matter who is in them.
I get what you're saying, but what Legacy was proposing was basically the equivalent to say Christopher Walken in the Disaster Pre-Show or any of the F&F cast in Supercharged. They were part of the main show and if you are going to make old monologues part of a main show in a lounge, it seems like there has to be a legal line that's being toed. The Fallon stuff seems different because it's just clips while you wait in line as opposed to being the main event.

I get what you're saying, but what Legacy was proposing was basically the equivalent to say Christopher Walken in the Disaster Pre-Show or any of the F&F cast in Supercharged. They were part of the main show and if you are going to make old monologues part of a main show in a lounge, it seems like there has to be a legal line that's being toed. The Fallon stuff seems different because it's just clips while you wait in line as opposed to being the main event.
Yea no. Best we can expect are monitors like TODAY Cafe showing clips between acts, if there are even acts. I know what Legacy was proposing transforms the media, but I was pretending it was a joke lol

My younger self will miss The Groove. I think that something new can be exciting, but I have no interest in anything SNL themed. In my opinion, very little has resonated from SNL in the past decade or so(maybe I have just aged out of the demographic.) I am hoping that they replace the spaces with something that has a nightlife element. I enjoy escape rooms, but it would feel that CityWalk would be missing something if they didn't include something specifically geared toward nightlife.

My younger self will miss The Groove. I think that something new can be exciting, but I have no interest in anything SNL themed. In my opinion, very little has resonated from SNL in the past decade or so(maybe I have just aged out of the demographic.) I am hoping that they replace the spaces with something that has a nightlife element. I enjoy escape rooms, but it would feel that CityWalk would be missing something if they didn't include something specifically geared toward nightlife.
Yea I hope they don’t try to completely eliminate nightlife. Hopefully this venue ends up being a lounge/bar type of experience. SNL would be fine but to be honest the show was around way before my time so I’m not connected to it at all.

I could actually see an SNL Lounge being more like Trader Sam's than anything. Sure, have some clips play on screens,, but the attractive part about the lounge would be the interactivity with the bartenders and such. For example, anytime some orders the $25 "More Cowbell" drink, the whole bar goes nuts with cowbells, the sketch plays, etc. The same thing with specialty drinks named after other famous sketches.

I could actually see an SNL Lounge being more like Trader Sam's than anything. Sure, have some clips play on screens,, but the attractive part about the lounge would be the interactivity with the bartenders and such. For example, anytime some orders the $25 "More Cowbell" drink, the whole bar goes nuts with cowbells, the sketch plays, etc. The same thing with specialty drinks named after other famous sketches.

That’s more believable than an actual Comedy Club.

Well, not necessarily.

If you go on the Peacock app and watch the classic SNL episodes, you will find the monologues are more often than not missing. In fact, some of those episodes (which run about 65-75 minutes without commercials) are 45 minutes or less.

Even from someone still living like Kelsey Grammar, his monologue was not included in his episode and at least three skits were cut.

So I think getting the monologue go aheads might be tougher than we believe

Well, not necessarily.

If you go on the Peacock app and watch the classic SNL episodes, you will find the monologues are more often than not missing. In fact, some of those episodes (which run about 65-75 minutes without commercials) are 45 minutes or less.

Even from someone still living like Kelsey Grammar, his monologue was not included in his episode and at least three skits were cut.

So I think getting the monologue go aheads might be tougher than we believe
If it were a rights issue, wouldn't they need to cut all skits out with that actor too?

I believe many those are the syndicated versions that have been cut for time to fit within an hour block of television (with commercials). They usually edit out lesser skits, or time-sensitive stuff that might not make sense anymore. Often, even the ones with monologues you'll notice are cut dramatically so just a minute or less. Weekend Update is usually cut in half as well in these versions.

I used to watch reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s that were the syndicated versions. They also play one right before the live ones on NBC still I believe, no?

That explains many of them anyway, but it doesnt explain why some episodes are as short as 15 mins on Peacock. NBC really needs to get their stuff together lol.

If it were a rights issue, wouldn't they need to cut all skits out with that actor too?

I believe many those are the syndicated versions that have been cut for time to fit within an hour block of television (with commercials). They usually edit out lesser skits, or time-sensitive stuff that might not make sense anymore. Often, even the ones with monologues you'll notice are cut dramatically so just a minute or less. Weekend Update is usually cut in half as well in these versions.

I used to watch reruns on Comedy Central in the 90s that were the syndicated versions. They also play one right before the live ones on NBC still I believe, no?

That explains many of them anyway, but it doesnt explain why some episodes are as short as 15 mins on Peacock. NBC really needs to get their stuff together lol.
Yes, topical comments and humor often don't have longevity. One reason that Rowan & Martin's Laugh In, as a prime example, is not very humorous viewing it now, even though it had 'huge' ratings
back in the day, and was ' water cooler' conversation in the time of three TV networks and no cable. It was 'very' popular and talked about.