Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 593 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People say this about Pokemon but I bet you most Go players and half if not more the people buying the base games are not kids.

My friends and I still play Pokemon and we are 20-30s. I think if Universal is smart is to make Pokemon have Family rides but give it a E ticket of some sort for all ages to enjoy
I agree, just needs a better ride system

If I were to venture a guess, I bet whatever main attractions we see for Pokemon will include interactivity. Even the more recent Spider-Man ride retheme rumor for Japan includes AR. The tower patent supposedly for Pokemon in Japan also included AR, and some sort of interactive element… a tower ride!

So, if they couldn’t figure out a way to slap interactivity on a powered invert, I wonder if that kills that concept. But if they can, it could still be in the running for Orlando’s Pokemon someday.

Have you ever even ridden a Mack powered coaster? Honest question.
No, but did you see Jurassic flyers in Beijing? I’m not impressed with what they’ve done so far with it, plus naturally I feel it could fit so many other properties if they have an extra track sitting waiting to be used for some IP. I just need to see more

No, but did you see Jurassic flyers in Beijing? I’m not impressed with what they’ve done so far with it, plus naturally I feel it could fit so many other properties if they have an extra track sitting waiting to be used for some IP. I just need to see more
Youre comparing a c ticket to what would be an E-ticket. Everyone I know that’s ridden Arthur or HTTYD rave about it. I think it would be a great family E ticket

I really don’t understand why the ride isn’t just Pokémon Snap. Find a way for guests to retain shots they take on the ride. I feel like that’s an easy home run that honors the spirit of the games and fulfills the interactivity/gamification mandate.

I really don’t understand why the ride isn’t just Pokémon Snap. Find a way for guests to retain shots they take on the ride. I feel like that’s an easy home run that honors the spirit of the games and fulfills the interactivity/gamification mandate.

I agree, along with some sort of actual collecting/battling concept.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Alicia
0fc.gif

Seems like it would be a good way to sell some My Universal Photos passes too.

New Pokemon Snap game only sold 2.1 million copies worldwide. The main games have sold over 22 million. The game is super niche. I think that's part of the issue. From May to August, it only increased it sales .06 million. It hasn't even outsold the original from N64 yet (3.63 Million).

Additionally, let's look at it from an outside perspective, the ride concept is you take pictures of Pokemon and then what? If you tell people to buy pictures of AAs that don't even include the people taking them, its going to be a weird and hard sell and look 100% like a cash grab.

Universal can't go simple with the main Pokemon attraction being too simplistic. Pokemon fans have one of the largest demographic spreads so any ride or attraction will still need that power aspect to appease adults fans/more thrill seeking fans to a level.

Reactions: Eckert
New Pokemon Snap game only sold 2.1 million copies worldwide. The main games have sold over 22 million. The game is super niche. I think that's part of the issue. From May to August, it only increased it sales .06 million. It hasn't even outsold the original from N64 yet (3.63 Million).

Additionally, let's look at it from an outside perspective, the ride concept is you take pictures of Pokemon and then what? If you tell people to buy pictures of AAs that don't even include the people taking them, its going to be a weird and hard sell and look 100% like a cash grab.

Universal can't go simple with the main Pokemon attraction being too simplistic. Pokemon fans have one of the largest demographic spreads so any ride or attraction will still need that power aspect to appease adults fans/more thrill seeking fans to a level.
First, A Pokemon ride definitely does not need to appease Thrill seekers. Pokemon thrill rides can exist, but it is far from a must.

and Second, a Pokemon Snap-inspired ride doesn't mean it literally has to be a "Pokemon Snap: The Ride". Pokemon Safari Adventure is an incredible ride concept, one that can stand on its own outside of the Snap series, and also thoroughly unoriginal. Since the early 2000s, everyone and their grandmother has made an article talking about how good a Pokemon Safari ride would be. To be clear, that's not a bad thing at all. Other popular fan ideas for rides were Mario Kart, and the even more apt comparison, Mine Kart Madness. Another ride attached to a larger IP (Donkey Kong), based on a smaller IP (DKC), that's gotten in off of the ride concept's strength and longtime fan desire mostly alone.

Pokémon Snap's story approach would be great for a ride though and tells a simple enough story for guests to pick up (you are here as an assistant to help the professor explore this new region) as opposed to the mainline games where you're encouraged to battle and collect them. Plus the ride vehicle in the game is perfect for a ride.

At the very least I would think that guests would be introduced to Pokémon by a professor in the queue, where they explain what Pokémon are and whatever other backstory. I would imagine from there they send you off in a research vehicle of some kind to see what's out in the field (show building).

I just want lots of creature animatronics. The actual ride conveyance doesn't matter too much to me as long as that request is met.

I really, really want them use as much physical sets/props as possible. I think a portion of the thrill would be trying to find all the ones in there, and it would be great if certain ones didn't come out all the time (like legendary Pokémon) so coming back on the ride again would be encouraged. Being front row to Pokémon battling each other would be cool to focus on without requiring guest interaction.

For a Pokémon ride I don't think I've ever thought of it as a coaster. If there was the space/confidence in really pushing it I think trackless would be awesome for a Pokémon safari ride.

Reactions: belloq87
Why is no one pointing out that putting in another boat ride (A FOURTH BOAT RIDE) at Islands of Adventure is a dumb idea when clearly Universal Studios could use... I don't know.... ONE boat ride?

I guess one way to differentiate your theme parks in the age of endless IP integration is to just cram similar experiences and ride systems into one park but it's a pretty foolish decision. USF (Ride the Screens and Bounce Around) and IOA (Ride the Boats and Get Wet!)? Are they unaware that variety within a park is kind of important?

Why is no one pointing out that putting in another boat ride (A FOURTH BOAT RIDE) at Islands of Adventure is a dumb idea when clearly Universal Studios could use... I don't know.... ONE boat ride?

I guess one way to differentiate your theme parks in the age of endless IP integration is to just cram similar experiences and ride systems into one park but it's a pretty foolish decision. USF (Ride the Screens and Bounce Around) and IOA (Ride the Boats and Get Wet!)? Are they unaware that variety within a park is kind of important?

I believe I may have pointed it out at some point, but I am nobody.

TL I don’t think will last forever, which would cut the amount of boat rides in half.