Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Murdy say there wouldn’t be another Orlando transplant (like Scarecrow) this year?
Well I found this

Can't seem to find Murdy's reply to someone asking about Orlando Originals coming to Hollywood. I remember him saying that there were no Orlando Originals on his mind. Or something along those lines.

He did one, so it's hilarious to me people instantly thinks he'll do more like it's a sign of things to come. Kinda like how we always expect him to finish off his trilogies when it's clear at this point he has no desire to do so. Honestly, this business just moves based on crowd demand and happenstance of what they're capable of doing at the time with budget, so you gotta just be thankful you got something you wanted even once at HHN.

Reactions: chris.g
Well I found this

Can't seem to find Murdy's reply to someone asking about Orlando Originals coming to Hollywood. I remember him saying that there were no Orlando Originals on his mind. Or something along those lines.

I’ve said this exact thing a dozen times here. Even though last year’s originals were among my favorites (other than Scarecrow, which was not strong IMO), Hollywood’s bread and butter is IP. Always has been. The less originals, the better.

Because I wanted to create some discussion and to see what everyone else thought about it in both coasts. That and Orlando’s thread was flooded with bizarre suggestions like Scooby Doo. And admittedly for one thread (licensed icons) it was an excuse to bump the thread.

Also… I only brought this suggestion up last week.

Sorry but I would enjoy a psychedelic Scooby-Doo house

I’ve said this exact thing a dozen times here. Even though last year’s originals were among my favorites (other than Scarecrow, which was not strong IMO), Hollywood’s bread and butter is IP. Always has been. The less originals, the better.

The bread and butter is IP--but that doesn't mean you do no originals. 2 is a good balance and it doesn't overpower that of what people go to Hollywood for. It also could allow them to evenly distribute what the quality control could be for each story, to let them shine in ways that work intensely well like what we saw with La Llorona and Scarecrow.

Last edited:
I agree that IP content is HHN’s thing and they should focus on that, but I still want to see some originals. I think two or even three like this year is a fair amount.

Besides, I find it ironic how y’all are campaigning for less originals when the originals were the strongest houses this year.

I agree that IP content is HHN’s thing and they should focus on that, but I still want to see some originals. I think two or even three like this year is a fair amount.

Besides, I find it ironic how y’all are campaigning for less originals when the originals were the strongest houses this year.
I don’t see why they don’t do a even split like Orlando has been doing

Reactions: Freak
The IPs available are growing thinner and thinner though.
For sure, and even the ones that are available are not easy to get. You don’t just snap your fingers and get an IP. But Murdy is correct nevertheless — IP is what makes the Hollywood event what it is. So hopefully they can find a way to navigate that in this current climate.

Campaigning for less originals is not the same thing as campaigning for zero originals. And I wouldn’t even call it “campaigning,” it’s just acknowledging the reality of this event. Even Murdy acknowledges it. Having strong intellectual property is what makes Hollywood HHN what it is.

I like originals when they’re well and truly original. Adapting a scare zone into a house doesn’t strike me as original; neither does borrowing another house from Orlando. Horror Hotel was a genuinely original idea that leaned on local history. More of that stuff is the way to go.

I don’t see why they don’t do a even split like Orlando has been doing

Because unlike Orlando, they repeat properties like Freddy and Exorcist a LOT more.
Campaigning for less originals is not the same thing as campaigning for zero originals. And I wouldn’t even call it “campaigning,” it’s just acknowledging the reality of this event. Even Murdy acknowledges it. Having strong intellectual property is what makes Hollywood HHN what it is.

I like originals when they’re well and truly original. Adapting a scare zone into a house doesn’t strike me as original; neither does borrowing another house from Orlando. Horror Hotel was a genuinely original idea that leaned on local history. More of that stuff is the way to go.

That’s still an original story. Orlando did it with sequels to Saws n Steam and the Voodoo Queen from 24 and fans count those as original. It is original for the people on the West Coast as not everyone could just fly to in Orlando.

Last edited:
That’s still an original story. Orlando did it with sequels to Saws n Steam and the Voodoo Queen from 24 and fans count those as original. It is original for the people on the West Coast as not everyone could just fly to in Orlando.
I mean, this is a semantic discussion at this point but I view originals as ideas that are fully unique to the Hollywood event and that aren’t copies/adaptations of something pre-existing. Just because Scarecrow isn’t based on an intellectual property doesn’t make it an “original” maze in this sense. And sure, most people who came to HHN this year had either never experienced Scarecrow or had no idea what it even was or that it came from Orlando. But I would still like to see them devote those resources to making our own original concepts — hence the point of them being “original.”

Yes. IPs that are obtainable, but have never been featured at the event.
Looked on the web, and I think potentially it’s the Ring, Grudge, The Fly and the Blob, the original From Dusk till Dawn… and that’s it. The rest are either forgettable cheap shlock or just wouldn’t work as a haunted house (like They Live). Sorry.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Status
Not open for further replies.