Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it is a very, very profound error to assume the folks making the decisions at major corporations are doing so in a particularly intelligent or informed way. Yes, they have access to a great deal more information then you or me, but they are also human and just as subject to the same arrogance, groupthink, and lack of self-reflection that afflict us all - moreso, often. As far as echo chambers go, a message board ain't got noting on a corporate board room packed full of millionaires. Reading any business history should quickly disabuse you of the unquestionable wisdom of corporate decision-makers. Indeed, all we need to do is look around - the entire entertainment industry is reeling right now because they made a series of ignorant, hasty, lemming-like, wildly overconfident decisions regarding streaming and traditional theaters. Or we can look at individual companies like Warner Bros. or certain social media firms for demonstrations of just how badly rich, powerful corporate decision makers can misjudge their own industry, audience, and product.

Basically, always remember - New Coke happened.
Soooo true. Especially in the entertainment industry. Many long time home entertainment executives tried to warn the CEO's and Boards that streaming wasn't going to be the golden boy the techno crowd convinced them it would be. Now, lots of red ink that didn't have to happen.

I get that. But personally, I’m generally happy this place that I love is getting love. I dislike Supercharged. That was a mistake. Thierry publicly agrees. I would rather people make mistakes spending money, then make the mistake of not investing.
I generally agree… but I LIKE Supercharged! I’m the one guy!

I think it is a very, very profound error to assume the folks making the decisions at major corporations are doing so in a particularly intelligent or informed way. Yes, they have access to a great deal more information then you or me, but they are also human and just as subject to the same arrogance, groupthink, and lack of self-reflection that afflict us all - moreso, often. As far as echo chambers go, a message board ain't got noting on a corporate board room packed full of millionaires. Reading any business history should quickly disabuse you of the unquestionable wisdom of corporate decision-makers. Indeed, all we need to do is look around - the entire entertainment industry is reeling right now because they made a series of ignorant, hasty, lemming-like, wildly overconfident decisions regarding streaming and traditional theaters. Or we can look at individual companies like Warner Bros. or certain social media firms for demonstrations of just how badly rich, powerful corporate decision makers can misjudge their own industry, audience, and product.

Basically, always remember - New Coke happened.
While I agree that corporations can make mistakes and are far from perfect, that still doesn't change the fact the forums and the GP doesn't have the first-hand information they do - which means they have a leg up in that regard.

Going by the trademark, for all we know, Freeze Ray Pops could just be a product offering within the sweet shop and not its own stand or kiosk. The popcorn stand is its own stand though, according to permits.
Yeah-- I wasn't getting a real clear picture of whether the Café, Bakery, Popsicle stand or counter are separate things or just areas within the Minion Café, but the popcorn stand was definitely a freestanding/unique structure although the idea I got was it was the corner where the drink stand was.

While I agree that corporations can make mistakes and are far from perfect, that still doesn't change the fact the forums and the GP doesn't have the first-hand information they do - which means they have a leg up in that regard.
Yes, the executive decision-makers have a far wider and deeper pool of data. What they often lack is a specific knowledge of the history and cultural importance of their product, replacing that (particularly since the 80s) with a generalized, non-industry specific “business” background and an intense - often too intense -focus on Wall Street issues, frequently coupled with a dismissiveness for the specifics of their industry. You no longer have figures like Disney or Meyer or Laemmle or even Wasserman, people who built their businesses and are thus possessed of very specific knowledge even they wouldn’t pretend could be adapted to every other industry. This largely explains the industry-wide stumble over streaming, when a myopic obsession with an echo-chamber-driven Wall Street fad and an ignorance of the history of their own business field nearly killed every Hollywood conglomerate. It’s also, arguably, why Feige’s initial role as “low-level exec forced to actually read thousands of comic books so higher-ups didn’t have to” equipped him to be the best producer since Thalberg and Selznick.

So yeah, decision-making execs are smart folks with lots of data but biases and blind spots that mean sometimes the well-versed message board yahoo who knows nothing about Wall Street trends but a lot about the struggles of studios and theaters due to cultural changes after ‘48 may actually have the better idea of what’s going on.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yes, the executive decision-makers have a far wider and deeper pool of data. What they often lack is a specific knowledge of the history and cultural importance of their product, replacing that (particularly since the 80s) with a generalized, non-industry specific “business” background and an intense - often too intense -focus on Wall Street issues, frequently coupled with a dismissiveness for the specifics of their industry. You no longer have figures like Disney or Meyer or Laemmle or even Wasserman, people who built their businesses and are thus possessed of very specific knowledge even they wouldn’t pretend could be adapted to every other industry. This largely explains the industry-wide stumble over streaming, when a myopic obsession with an echo-chamber-driven Wall Street fad and an ignorance of the history of their own business field nearly killed every Hollywood conglomerate. It’s also, arguably, why Feige’s initial role as “low-level exec forced to actually read thousands of comic books so higher-ups didn’t have to” equipped him to be the best producer since Thalberg and Selznick.

So yeah, decision-making execs are smart folks with lots of data but biases and blind spots that mean sometimes the well-versed message board yahoo who knows nothing about Wall Street trends but a lot about the struggles of studios and theaters due to cultural changes after ‘48 may actually have the better idea of what’s going on.

I think two things can be true, but it is also worth pointing out that many of Universal Orlando's execs literally helped open the park back in 1990.

Maybe it's a guilty pleasure type of thing.
VERY off-topic, but I’m just not sure what a satisfying Fast & Furious ride looks like. A coaster, the most obvious choice, is likely to be lightly themed and generic. Other then that … a screen-based flight simulator? Realistically, some version of Radiator Springs Racers seems like the best bet, but that’s gonna be VERY pricey. In reality, the combination of “fast” and “themed” is very difficult to do in the physical constraints of a theme park.

I think two things can be true, but it is also worth pointing out that many of Universal Orlando's execs literally helped open the park back in 1990.
I’m curious - how many are actually left? And how much decision-making power do they actually have?

Reactions: Coolbfitz

The same can be said about the well-versed message board yahoo concerning biases and blind spots - and while that doesn't mean an opinion should easily be dismissed as just someone on the forum, I have a hard time agreeing with the yahoo having a better idea than the execs despite the pool of data at their disposal, while we're on the outside looking in.

VERY off-topic, but I’m just not sure what a satisfying Fast & Furious ride looks like. A coaster, the most obvious choice, is likely to be lightly themed and generic. Other then that … a screen-based flight simulator? Realistically, some version of Radiator Springs Racers seems like the best bet, but that’s gonna be VERY pricey. In reality, the combination of “fast” and “themed” is very difficult to do in the physical constraints of a theme park.

I’m curious - how many are actually left? And how much decision-making power do they actually have?
This is exactly how I feel about Villain-Con.

Edit: I think these days, it’s important to separate reality and fantasy. Me spending a billion based on my (correct) wishes is still fantasy. :lmao: Facts and figures, even tainted by corporate blind spots are still closer to reality.

Reactions: Brian G.
Thank you! Haha We're excusing the physical constraints for one, but not the other - when VC has way more constraints.
The physical constraints on Blast are largely self-imposed - the space absolutely could have housed an AA-driven dark ride, for which the Minions are ideally suited. The difficulty of building a slightly above-Fantasyland-level dark ride are in no way equivalent to the challenges of creating a realistic illusion of a lengthy, high-speed car chase.

As for the other matter, all the data in the world doesn’t matter if you interpret it poorly or ignore it. It just baffles my mind that our society has dismissed almost all expertise, from doctors to professors, but still somehow defers to corporate executives, even as disasters like Warner Bros, Twitter, the Silicon Valley Bank, and the streaming industry play out in front of us. American history is full to the rafters of ignorant, arrogant executives causing financial chaos and destroying companies, but the myth of their omniscience continues.

PS: We all thought Chapek did a brilliant job, right? I mean, think of all the info HE had at his disposal!

Reactions: Jake S
Banana flavored popcorn!?!?

Right there officer. RIGHT THERE. That’s a horrendous food crime right in front of you!
I’ve been wondering when the Orlando parks would get on the “oddly flavored popcorn” bandwagon that’s so popular at Tokyo Disney.

It doesn’t have to be good enough for a lot of guests to buy twice if it’s weird enough for every guest to buy once.

Reactions: belloq87 and Alicia