Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

Hollywood Drive-In Mini Golf

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To me there is currently ZERO competition between DTD and CW. DTD sells Walmart goods at MarketPlace, then you have Abandoned PI, then you have the aging hip West Side. All peppered with Restaurants that you can either find in your mall, or are over priced and not worth the experience.

VS CityWalk which offers uniquely different experiences at each of their venues. Zero empty facades, and an electric environment that begs you to stay and party.

To me there is currently ZERO competition between DTD and CW. DTD sells Walmart goods at MarketPlace, then you have Abandoned PI, then you have the aging hip West Side. All peppered with Restaurants that you can either find in your mall, or are over priced and not worth the experience.

VS CityWalk which offers uniquely different experiences at each of their venues. Zero empty facades, and an electric environment that begs you to stay and party.

That's not entirely fair, and I prefer Citywalk. Shopping at DTD is better, period; Citywalk gotten rid of all of its "cool" stores except for Endangered Species (and even that has declined into stale merchandising). All we have now are things like "Fresh Produce," "Fossil," and "Element Skate Shop"... they're alright, but nothing to cheer about.

Citywalk's got the upper hand on clubs, lack of dead space, and probably restaurants, however.

Someone care to start a DTD vs CityWalk thread while we get back to the Golf? :lol:

I just realized what thread I was even posting in, haha.

ON TOPIC: I think the golf course looks fairly nice, but I can't say I'm not just a tad disappointed. Most mini golf courses of this caliber (whether created by Disney or any other top-notch property course) include a substantial amount of animated elements and gizmos, rewards if you will, for knocking the ball into the hole. This course, while sporting some nice fun theming, seems to be quite static.

I think we have to wait to play before saying this. I'm sure there are a good amount of effects we haven't seen.

I hope you're right... if there are some animated elements for successfully completing holes, I'll call this a resounding thematic success. Say what you want about how "cluttered" the course makes the entrance to Citywalk... it's an addition rather than a replacement and something that isn't a restaurant, shop, or club - in other words, something Citywalk (and the resort as a whole) largely benefits from.

I just realized what thread I was even posting in, haha.

ON TOPIC: I think the golf course looks fairly nice, but I can't say I'm not just a tad disappointed. Most mini golf courses of this caliber (whether created by Disney or any other top-notch property course) include a substantial amount of animated elements and gizmos, rewards if you will, for knocking the ball into the hole. This course, while sporting some nice fun theming, seems to be quite static.

I'd prefer it that way. You see the wear & tear Winter Summerland's animated elements has?

I'd prefer it that way. You see the wear & tear Winter Summerland's animated elements has?

I agree. The design of the course and props alone is very impressive and I really would not mind too much if there are no animations. If animations are a part of the course, bonus!

I've only done mini-golf with static figures so I'm not sure this would be a failure if it didn't have moving elements or special effects. It's already one of the most visually impressive themed mini-golf I've seen and, like others said, anything else will really just be bonus.

In response to what I said earlier, I like Rainforest/T-Rex because of the ambiance. When I'm on vacation I don't care if I'm eating at a 5-star place or not, I just love the theming!

The animations don't really bother me, but I bet there will be some! I wonder if there will be running water for the fountain in front of the haunted house. I can't wait to see the inside and of coarse how it looks at night with all the lighting!

Personally, I LOVE animations when golfing. Winter Summerland and Fantasia do it often enough and wanting to see the animations makes my goals more worthwhile when I hit a decent putt. I'm glad Universal is doing this, too. Simple putt putts are fine, but I expect more out of theme parks and I'm glad to see Uni delivering.

There are definitely a few gags in this one. As shown elsewhere there seems to be a pepper's ghost like effect/gag at one of the holes. Very cool

on the public team member site they show that this will open this week!

Hollywood Drive-In Golf Opens This Week!
Hollywood Drive-In Golf, a unique 36-hole miniature golf experience, opens this week at CityWalk! Inspired by
the classic drive-in movie era, guests will be whisked into an elaborately-themed environment based on the
vintage horror flicks and “little green men” science fiction
films of the 1950s.
As they experience two family friendly courses, “The
Haunting of Ghostly Greens” and “Invaders From
Planet Putt,” guests will putt their way through
elaborate movie-style scenes, passing through
a cemetery, under a giant spider, through a flying saucer and into the
basement lab in a haunted house.

It has been a lot of fun to read the posts on this thread over the past few months, or closer to a year depending on how you look at it. Who knew aliens could also have issues at MCO? It is great to see such enthusiasm for the premier of Hollywood Drive-In Golf! I have been impressed by your keen observations and hypothesis about the course. I wondered how long it would take for people to realize that the greens on The Haunting of Ghostly Greens doesn't even have green greens. Well done Harryleo. We found it very amusing during planning and development.

I know you all are very excited and want to know every detail about the course, and mostly the opening date. While I do know that information, I cannot share it quite yet. I would be happy to talk about the course though. You should also check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/hollywoodgolf to stay up to date.

Your best bet would be to ask questions there for a quicker response, but I will also check in here quite often to chat and answer as many questions as possible! I look forward to seeing you all at the course!

It has been a lot of fun to read the posts on this thread over the past few months, or closer to a year depending on how you look at it. Who knew aliens could also have issues at MCO? It is great to see such enthusiasm for the premier of Hollywood Drive-In Golf! I have been impressed by your keen observations and hypothesis about the course. I wondered how long it would take for people to realize that the greens on The Haunting of Ghostly Greens doesn't even have green greens. Well done Harryleo. We found it very amusing during planning and development.

I know you all are very excited and want to know every detail about the course, and mostly the opening date. While I do know that information, I cannot share it quite yet. I would be happy to talk about the course though. You should also check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/hollywoodgolf to stay up to date.

Your best bet would be to ask questions there for a quicker response, but I will also check in here quite often to chat and answer as many questions as possible! I look forward to seeing you all at the course!

Well, big question is - any animation on the course, is the whole thing static?