Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 151 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So excited to try all those foods!!

New here but have been following for a while now. Just wanted to say thanks for all the information and pictures!! My family and I were there in October 2012 and Transformers was being built and there was nothing but dirt where Diagon is now. We're going back this December and can't wait!!

:welcome:

A small update: @UORBuzz got pics today that show some progress, including work on Wyndham's Theater and more framing on the entrance (Leicester Sq. Station). You can see all his pics on his site.

iWH3HDtyvJ7R6.jpg

iMIiBF9gn9efp.jpg

I wonder what the purpose is of the 8-9 18" holes in the sheetrock walls that can be seen through the 2nd flr windows of Leicester and the building that adjoins it. Speaker mounts or monitor mounts for a queue?

Hmm... I just noticed in the picture above, they have filled in the view through Leicester Sq so we can no longer see Diagon. Perhaps that is the reason they sealed off the phone booth view holes; to install the wall contraption.

Last edited:
This has probably been answered frequently but forgive me for I have been really out of the loop, haven't been to the parks in 5 years. This section should be completed by August, right?

Hmm... I just noticed in the picture above, they have filled in the view through Leicester Sq so we can no longer see Diagon. Perhaps that is the reason they sealed off the phone booth view holes; to install the wall contraption.

I don't think they've filled it in as such; there seems to just be a lot of stuff in the interim space now. I do recall there being a number of split walls in front of the actual opening on the plans.

DiagonAlley-03-01-14-25.jpg

From UOR Buzz's set linked above.

That theatre could really use weathering down a couple of shades, it's blinding.

I wonder what the purpose is of the 8-9 18" holes in the sheetrock walls that can be seen through the 2nd flr windows of Leicester and the building that adjoins it. Speaker mounts or monitor mounts for a queue?

Perhaps just to provide access to the window fronts for lighting/decorative reasons.

Last edited:
I don't think they've filled it in as such; there seems to just be a lot of stuff in the interim space now. I do recall there being a number of split walls in front of the actual opening on the plans.

That theatre could really use weathering down a couple of shades, it's blinding.

Perhaps it is an illusion of angle, but it looks to me as if they sheathed up the walls, perhaps later in the day.

I am confident that the theater will be toned way down... but to get dirty aged white, one must start with a base of white. Below is one of the few images I've seen of the real Wyndham lit up with sunlight for comparison.

02fdylt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It looks like they're building something to block our view of the train between San Francisco and Kings Cross.

That wall is on the far side of the tracks, meaning you'll see the train but nothing beyond that. Unless, of course, they block our view of the train with trees or something, closer to the guest pathway.

This has probably been answered frequently but forgive me for I have been really out of the loop, haven't been to the parks in 5 years. This section should be completed by August, right?

Yes, likely softs in June, for sure the grand opening will be before August, barring anything unforseen.

I can't believe they're not selling packages yet. This time in 2010 they were full on selling Wizarding World packages with guarantee of soft opening during your stay, etc. This tells me they're still not quite sure when they can open.

^ I believe they are being coy in their promotions on purpose. Phase II has been nothing but hush and coy as they have a national ad campaign promoting the resort now; to rent rooms and sell tickets now.

Look how cheeky the Diagon ad is that is running on tv. It is all hintsy and that is about it. I bet they will have a film crew in Diagon in May with actors playing tourists just like phase I and begin airing the ads June 15. I would assume they would rather not have 40,000 people trying to attend for the grand opening like before.

I wonder if they are going to be including the wooden doors and molding that appear in the original Wyndham (the ones appearing on the two balconies that frame that building. I really hope so. The contrast between stone and woodwork looks really nifty.

Teebin: that photo you posted reminds me how awful it is that so much beautiful architecture is now marred with chicken wire to protect it from nesting pigeons. It's like that here in Toronto too. Which makes me wonder - how do the Florida theme parks keep birds away from their buildings? Is there some technique they use that's less obtrusive than chicken wire or spikes?

I wonder if they are going to be including the wooden doors and molding that appear in the original Wyndham (the ones appearing on the two balconies that frame that building. I really hope so. The contrast between stone and woodwork looks really nifty.

Teebin: that photo you posted reminds me how awful it is that so much beautiful architecture is now marred with chicken wire to protect it from nesting pigeons. It's like that here in Toronto too. Which makes me wonder - how do the Florida theme parks keep birds away from their buildings? Is there some technique they use that's less obtrusive than chicken wire or spikes?

To add to your question of Wyndham woodwork, let's also point out that those upper windows of the original are stained glass. Will this project reflect that as well.

Regarding birds... Disney and Universal apparently keep a sharp eye on these things and remove any nest building that might occur, thus discouraging any common birds that might take a liking. In other situations, they use monofilament (fishing line) or the short spikey things on window ledges. Pigeons aren't an issue in Florida but doves are... and those doves nest among the many species of date palms (which are naturally spiked like you wouldn't believe). I never saw a dove nesting on a building because there are soooooooooo many date palms in Orange County.

To add to your question of Wyndham woodwork, let's also point out that those upper windows of the original are stained glass. Will this project reflect that as well.

Regarding birds... Disney and Universal apparently keep a sharp eye on these things and remove any nest building that might occur, thus discouraging any common birds that might take a liking. In other situations, they use monofilament (fishing line) or the short spikey things on window ledges. Pigeons aren't an issue in Florida but doves are... and those doves nest among the many species of date palms (which are naturally spiked like you wouldn't believe). I never saw a dove nesting on a building because there are soooooooooo many date palms in Orange County.

Ah, I didn't notice the stained glass windows in the original. Yes, I'm curious to see if they replicate that as well.

Interesting, well their bird-prevention strategies seem to be working. It would be horrible to see Hogwarts stained with guano.

Guys and Gals,

I am visiting the WB Studio Tour on 23rd March. If anyone has any requests for photos to make comparisisons, just send me a PM and I'll try to accomodate them all!

Thanks

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.