The Great Metal Detector Debate | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

The Great Metal Detector Debate

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

How do you feel about Metal Detectors?

• Total voters
I don't really believe the majority of visitors at Universal are international. I don't have figures but I would seriously doubt that. There are a good number but not that many...And I'm not saying get rid of coasters, I'm just saying that it isn't possible to completely eliminate accidents. Even if the security measures were paramount, they would still miss things. Plus eyeglasses, sandals & the like could still slip off & hit someone. And that possibility could happen once every year or two like these are happening, which would bring us back to what do you do to stop a rare random accident. Maybe strip searches next. That's just silly. This is just all pure overkill. They're turning these very rare incidents into a major problem. I'm sure these other parks are getting people hit every now & then, they're just not over reacting. Our local park ,which has 6 coasters,some since the 1920's, has had incidents where people have gotten hit by a flying object, but they've never taken these extreme measures.

The first night of Grad Bash is in a couple of days, and they've now made their way to all the big coaster rides with this "test." Does anyone think that these measures may be have been developed for that (and similar) event(s) in particular, rather than day-to-day normal operations? Kind of makes sense that a night full of high schoolers could mean an unusually large number of guests trying to bring phones, GoPros, etc., on board the rides.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, what if this is done just because with spring break etc there are more unruly teens who might do stupid stuff.

I was thinking the same thing the other day, what if this is done just because with spring break etc there are more unruly teens who might do stupid stuff.
That might be the thought. There's some common sense to that...................On the previous poster's point on international visitors. Closest figures that would work are the Orlando tourist visit numbers. Less than 10% of all Orlando tourists are international visitors. If you would extrapolate the huge percentage of Universal's attendance that are central Florida residents, that would give you a figure of apx. 5% (give or take a percent or 2) that are international visitors. I'm sure that it sometimes "seems" like the majority are international visitors, especially when the Brazilian groups come through, but that's just faulty awareness. And the feeling that all other country's people are less safety conscience has no basis. Heck, look at all the people in the U.S. that text & drive. That's one of the most dangerous activities that exist. Way more dangerous than the wallets in cargo shorts on a coaster.

My understanding is that the metal detectors are to stop certain objects from being brought on the rides for malicious guests to try and drop things on guests.

I don't really believe the majority of visitors at Universal are international. I don't have figures but I would seriously doubt that. There are a good number but not that many...And I'm not saying get rid of coasters, I'm just saying that it isn't possible to completely eliminate accidents. Even if the security measures were paramount, they would still miss things. Plus eyeglasses, sandals & the like could still slip off & hit someone. And that possibility could happen once every year or two like these are happening, which would bring us back to what do you do to stop a rare random accident. Maybe strip searches next. That's just silly. This is just all pure overkill. They're turning these very rare incidents into a major problem. I'm sure these other parks are getting people hit every now & then, they're just not over reacting. Our local park ,which has 6 coasters,some since the 1920's, has had incidents where people have gotten hit by a flying object, but they've never taken these extreme measures.

My local Six Flags makes people who are wearing flip flips or sandals to remove them when riding the Batman coaster and any other coaster in which your feet dangle and you flip upside down. So it is done in local parks. They also have metal detectors and do pat downs at the park entrance. And none of the coasters, from what I remember, are built over guest walkways. If fact, the last time I went to my local Six Flags, I never once walked under one of the coasters.

Wrong thread. But many guests could care less about the detectors as I seen today. They just want to ride a ride. It doesn't significantly hinder your experience. It's clearly placed as a safety precaution. Plus theme parks are allowed to have rules and procedures in that when you purchase a right to enter (Ticket ANnual pass) you agree to those guidelines.

Wrong thread. But many guests could care less about the detectors as I seen today. They just want to ride a ride. It doesn't significantly hinder your experience. It's clearly placed as a safety precaution. Plus theme parks are allowed to have rules and procedures in that when you purchase a right to enter (Ticket ANnual pass) you agree to those guidelines.

This is an interesting perspective. I believe the anger is primarily due to the phone and network you must loose for a long line. I am one of those older people that wonders why many younger persons are so addicted to having their face in that pudding 16 hours a day. On the other hand, someone like skubersky like many others makes his living by communicating live. I guess he doesn't do Uni coasters anymore. :blank:

This is an interesting perspective. I believe the anger is primarily due to the phone and network you must loose for a long line. I am one of those older people that wonders why many younger persons are so addicted to having their face in that pudding 16 hours a day. On the other hand, someone like skubersky like many others makes his living by communicating live. I guess he doesn't do Uni coasters anymore. :blank:

Not just that, but as we've adjusted to cell phones people can move around more and be in contact with others. Now you're out of communication with other parts of your family on a ride when you'd be separated more often.

I'll ride when I'm there just for fun, but the new policy does eliminate our ability to time actual waits on these rides. When I'm working I usually only actually ride a couple of attractions a day, mostly I'm walking and photographing...

Reactions: Parkscope Joe

While that is one reason this move annoys me (I usually visit the parks solo, so my phone is how I have conversations in line, I really don't like talking to complete strangers I have no reason to meet, just my personality), I am just as much annoyed by the silliness from an operational standpoint. It makes marginally more sense than installing seatbelts on Iron Dragon (yes, they did that for like 2 or 3 years), which peeved me to no end.

My phone keeps me occupied with games and other things while I'm waiting in that long line. Plus, it's just a freaking nuisance to have to walk over to a locker to stash my stuff when it's already completely secured in my fastened cargo short pockets! Okay, so those are weak, whiny reasons. Here's my biggest gripe: I wear glasses and don't feel comfortable wearing them on rides (even with a strap), so I place them in a hard case that I store in (again, a WELL SECURED, ZIPPERED POCKET of) my cargo shorts. I take them off just before I jump on the ride and put them back on as soon as I exit the ride vehicle. To not wear them gives me a nasty headache, which kinda kills the fun of being at Universal. No, I'm not a contacts-wearing person and my eyes aren't quite stable enough to get the green light for LASIK or PRK surgery (I eagerly await that day!).

I'm all for safety. I really am. However, I am not doing ANYTHING unsafe by placing my loose articles in my zippered pockets of my shorts...or even putting them in a fanny pack. In 15 years of hardcore theme-parking, this has worked perfectly for me and I've never lost a single coin, much less anything else. Theme the metal detectors and leave them in place for all I care...just make an exception for and stop harassing those of us who have our sh*t secured.

Rant off.

Last edited:
My local Six Flags makes people who are wearing flip flips or sandals to remove them when riding the Batman coaster and any other coaster in which your feet dangle and you flip upside down. So it is done in local parks. They also have metal detectors and do pat downs at the park entrance. And none of the coasters, from what I remember, are built over guest walkways. If fact, the last time I went to my local Six Flags, I never once walked under one of the coasters.

This is the exception rather than the norm I think. Which Six Flags is your local Six Flags?

Manta @ SW, Skyrush @ Hersheypark, Dominator at Kings Dominion, Phantom @ Kennywood, most roller coasters at Knotts Berry Farm, Superman and Full Throttle @ Magic Mountain...all examples I can think of just at the top of my head that pass over guest walkways with no obstructions.

I went to universal this past weekend and was happy with the 0 minute wait for all the attractions including rocket. I WAS on the fence with this whole thing until then. I'm all for safety and the peace of mind to be able to walk without having something besides vomit hit my head. My goodness the dude with that wand must have been an ex TSA worker. He was VERY thorough. The only line at the coaster was the metal detector line. I stood there while they waved me up and down and everyone was staring at me. It was quite embarrassing only to find out we didn't know where the source of metal was coming from in my pant leg at my chin. He went on head and let me by but after that, I ran away from there. It was my chance to ride it over and over but was too afraid too. I was so distraught that I actually went and rode twister twice.

I went to universal this past weekend and was happy with the 0 minute wait for all the attractions including rocket. I WAS on the fence with this whole thing until then. I'm all for safety and the peace of mind to be able to walk without having something besides vomit hit my head. My goodness the dude with that wand must have been an ex TSA worker. He was VERY thorough. The only line at the coaster was the metal detector line. I stood there while they waved me up and down and everyone was staring at me. It was quite embarrassing only to find out we didn't know where the source of metal was coming from in my pant leg at my chin. He went on head and let me by but after that, I ran away from there. It was my chance to ride it over and over but was too afraid too. I was so distraught that I actually went and rode twister twice. ��

Good first hand account of how ridiculous this is

Had my first experience yesterday, it is annoying since I beeped every time, in Rockit they did not wand me that much, but in DC, "lift up your vest, turn around" ... I mean, I play by the rules and go to the hassle of putting everything a way and then I need to get annoyed even more, I had pants that had little metal buttons everywhere, a vest with metal buttons, I have rings on my fingers, earrings, watch and a belt ... so I have to get harassed because of that ...

- - - Updated - - -

Lockers at DC are a nightmare aswell!

This is the exception rather than the norm I think. Which Six Flags is your local Six Flags?

Manta @ SW, Skyrush @ Hersheypark, Dominator at Kings Dominion, Phantom @ Kennywood, most roller coasters at Knotts Berry Farm, Superman and Full Throttle @ Magic Mountain...all examples I can think of just at the top of my head that pass over guest walkways with no obstructions.
Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ. Haven't been there in 3 years, so my memory of coasters passing over guest areas is a little fuzzy. Actually, I do think the Batman coaster does, in fact, go over part of a guest area. Maybe not fully over it, but partially. But Superman's Flight, Green Lantern, Nitro, they don't pass over guest areas at all. I just know flip flops and sandals must be removed for the coasters where your feet/legs dangle. I don't think you have to remove anything from your pockets though. At least, I never did, and was never asked to.

Question for you all: what is the policy on glasses? I have seen on other sites where people said they were told to remove sunglasses or eye glasses from their face before riding. I don't recall that ever being an issue. Is this happening and is this new policy?

I saw people with regular glasses yesterday, I doubt they could expect people to remove glasses.

I doubted it too, but people have been posting that they were made to remove them. They probably meant they had to remove from their pockets, but had to make it sound worse to put Universal down.