Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Blue World Project - Orca Tank Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only 'sea' this whole resort thing working out if they are able to somehow create a welcoming pedestrian experience to connect it all just like Universal Orlando or Disneyland Anaheim.
I SEA WHAT YOU DID THERE

fbO6Jau.jpg

Is this real?

I think Manby once stated something (when he first began) that the Blue Ocean project for the other projects might or might not happen, that they would see how it does in San Diego.

I think the move to less non-theatrical Orca shows makes sense for all the parks, especially following the Blue World project. It'd actually be more how the shows used to be, especially the dolphin show. When I first saw Blue Horizons, I found it strange that the show was no longer educational and was instead Cirque du Dolphin-lite. Wasn't a fan at first but it's grown on me over the years.

Reactions: anihilnation
I think the move to less non-theatrical Orca shows makes sense for all the parks, especially following the Blue World project. It'd actually be more how the shows used to be, especially the dolphin show. When I first saw Blue Horizons, I found it strange that the show was no longer educational and was instead Cirque du Dolphin-lite. Wasn't a fan at first but it's grown on me over the years.
The Dolphin show I actually like, though when I saw it September the divers were gone. Shamu show I dislike. Now A'lure, that was awesome, pity they got rid of it.

Once the Blue World Project opens I can see them phasing out the more entertainment related shows in the San Antonio market as well but I just can not see them leaving in Orlando. SWO is too tourist centric to work without the majority of the park being entertainment related. At the least, the entertainment related shows will be seasonal and only occur during the Summer and Winter.

I loved that show, I actually got a bit emotional watching it. I was quite high up because I arrived last minute but the parrots flying over head was an incredible spectacle.

What if they did a Shamu show similar to the story of Turtle Trek where you follow the life of a killer whale and end it with a message of conservation and rescue. They could easily use the screens to show footage of whales in the wild and have the trainers talk about their behaviors and educate the audience on the animals. Of course there would still be segments with the whales splashing and jumping too. I think that could be an awesome show.

What if they did a Shamu show similar to the story of Turtle Trek where you follow the life of a killer whale and end it with a message of conservation and rescue. They could easily use the screens to show footage of whales in the wild and have the trainers talk about their behaviors and educate the audience on the animals. Of course there would still be segments with the whales splashing and jumping too. I think that could be an awesome show.

I think this would have a massive backfire. If SeaWorld are saying: 'This is how an orca should live' and then it's known they are/were breeding them in the parks, never to know that kind of life, it would look very poorly on them.

I think this would have a massive backfire. If SeaWorld are saying: 'This is how an orca should live' and then it's known they are/were breeding them in the parks, never to know that kind of life, it would look very poorly on them.
That's a good point. I still think that an educational experience is a better way to go than an entertainment one. Not sure how they could achieve this in the current setting though. I do love One Ocean though but I'm curious to see what San Diego has planned. I'm sure if it goes well something similar would be at the other two a few years later.

They were have equipment issues I believe in Sept/Oct, I don't think the divers are gone for good. Is A'lure gone for good?
They had some scheduled maintenance of all the mechanical stuff in the overhangs above the show pool. I believe they should be back any day now if not already. A'lure is most likely gone for good. I can see one of these major or minor attractions being a new show in its theater.

That's a good point. I still think that an educational experience is a better way to go than an entertainment one. Not sure how they could achieve this in the current setting though. I do love One Ocean though but I'm curious to see what San Diego has planned. I'm sure if it goes well something similar would be at the other two a few years later.

I don't think SeaWorld really have a choice now but to head in that direction. It's infuriating to see all the people that watched Blackfish and say SeaWorld do nothing but evil when they do so much behind the scenes. I think this is a positive step in the right direction. To create some great experiences and educate the public about all the hard work they do in conversation and animal rescue.

I wouldn't have thought 2 days ago that I would genuinely be excited about the future of SeaWorld.

They had some scheduled maintenance of all the mechanical stuff in the overhangs above the show pool. I believe they should be back any day now if not already. A'lure is most likely gone for good. I can see one of these major or minor attractions being a new show in its theater.

Thanks, I was not sure about A'lure. We hadn't been there since my daughter was born and the first time was in October when I just assumed they were switching it over to the Christmas show.

The divers I knew could not be gone since they were still "in" the show. They waived the flags at the end lol I think they did one other thing. But the show was not nearly as good with that whole middle part gone.

I don't think SeaWorld really have a choice now but to head in that direction. It's infuriating to see all the people that watched Blackfish and say SeaWorld do nothing but evil when they do so much behind the scenes.

I agree, they do some really good things, however, a right and wrong doesn't equal right. Right?

That said, the press was still somewhat negative today with comments from guests like, "so, they are replacing one show with another show".

If I was SeaWorld I would do away with the shows and use the stadium seating area to expand the tanks. As long as they give the guests awesome underwater viewing areas for the orcas I think that will be a good enough draw to get people to go. I would then have the trainers stationed throughout the exhibit to answer any questions the guests may have. To help recover some of the costs I would use some of the space to build a restaurant similar to Shark's Underwater Grill. I think that would be really popular. I think SeaWorlds goal going forward should be to become the Baltimore Aquarium with rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.