Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 27 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Since we are talking possible houses... I'm new to the board here, but I heard rumors they originally planned a Scream house for last year but ditched it at the last minute... Any chance it could resurface this year or in the future?

Never say never, but it's as close to never as it can be.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Since we are talking possible houses... I'm new to the board here, but I heard rumors they originally planned a Scream house for last year but ditched it at the last minute... Any chance it could resurface this year or in the future?

Also Scream was for 2015, not last year.

That was actually at HHN25. They ran into "some sort of contractual issues" that saw it replaced with The Purge last minute.

I still think there's a chance out there to work through whatever disagreement they had (using the TV property vs Movie property maybe?), and put up the house that everyone is hoping we'll see.

yes!!! Scream is one of my all time favorite movies of any genre. I actually watch the MTV show too, but it pales in comparison to the film franchise and there isn't really anything iconic enough about it to warrant a house. I know the possibilities are limited as there are no supernatural elements and the movies stick pretty close to reality, but as a HUGE fan of the franchise I would be in geek heaven if I were to experience it.

yes!!! Scream is one of my all time favorite movies of any genre. I actually watch the MTV show too, but it pales in comparison to the film franchise and there isn't really anything iconic enough about it to warrant a house. I know the possibilities are limited as there are no supernatural elements and the movies stick pretty close to reality, but as a HUGE fan of the franchise I would be in geek heaven if I were to experience it.

You probably would have gotten a kick out of the Purge house that replaced it. It was very easy to see that they had built the house as Scream then hastily reconfigured it. The kitchen, garage, school bathroom, and Sydney's bedroom from the original film were all fully realized but covered in graffiti (they even left the Jiffy Pop for good measure). For me, seeing what could have been ruined the Purge house for me, no matter how hard the cast fought to make it work. From what I could make out, they were putting AWiL and Halloween levels of TLC into that Scream house, only to axe it last minute.

As for the future, BriMan put it best. Nothing is ever truly dead for good in the minds of HHN creative, but I venture to guess that there could be some major bad blood between The Weinstein Co. and Uni that only serious dollars could fix.

You probably would have gotten a kick out of the Purge house that replaced it. It was very easy to see that they had built the house as Scream then hastily reconfigured it. The kitchen, garage, school bathroom, and Sydney's bedroom from the original film were all fully realized but covered in graffiti (they even left the Jiffy Pop for good measure). For me, seeing what could have been ruined the Purge house for me, no matter how hard the cast fought to make it work. From what I could make out, they were putting AWiL and Halloween levels of TLC into that Scream house, only to axe it last minute.

As for the future, BriMan put it best. Nothing is ever truly dead for good in the minds of HHN creative, but I venture to guess that there could be some major bad blood between The Weinstein Co. and Uni that only serious dollars could fix.

Ughhhh... This is especially painful to learn because ...... I was at HHN25... and I did go through the Purge House. I had no idea that it was the SCREAM house at the time. I hadn't really followed the rumor mill and I guess I got HHN25 and 26 confused. I just watched a walk through on youtube and it's so obvious agh, but i really don't remember this stuff from when I went through. I wasn't looking for it and it was so loud and chaotic in there.. I really wish I could go back and time and appreciate it. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Stairyo
SCREAM will not happen. Count on it. Neither will Amityville so long as Weinstein controls the property.

Yeah, while something Universal has had their fair share of creative differences with owners/scrapping ideas and houses at the last minute...what happened between them and the Weinstein's is a different and far worse beast.

The best previous comparison for this is American Horror Story, since they wanted that house back at HHN 23. However they ran into creative differences with the showrunner (Think I also heard they wern't fond of TWD taking top billing in marketing.), leading to that idea being scrapped. As we all know things turned around last year and we got the AHS mega house.

Though just because things turned around for AHS doesn't mean it's as easy for Scream. Since when the intial AHS plans were scrapped, it was just a idea. Scream on the other hand, they had the house built and then they ran into issues with the Weinsteins. I don't recall anything like that happening at HHN before.

A cruicial thing about working with different owners for IP's, if the owners are not happy with how the IP is being portrayed (eg, you're doing a house based off the movies and not the tv series.), they can pull the rights and prevent you from using it. In turn that can be really damaging with trying to do anything else with that company. Essentially that's what happened with Scream, so any chance of it happening at HHN is unfortunately as low as it can possibly be.

Yeah, while something Universal has had their fair share of creative differences with owners/scrapping ideas and houses at the last minute...what happened between them and the Weinstein's is a different and far worse beast.

The best previous comparison for this is American Horror Story, since they wanted that house back at HHN 23. However they ran into creative differences with the showrunner (Think I also heard they wern't fond of TWD taking top billing in marketing.), leading to that idea being scrapped. As we all know things turned around last year and we got the AHS mega house.

Though just because things turned around for AHS doesn't mean it's as easy for Scream. Since when the intial AHS plans were scrapped, it was just a idea. Scream on the other hand, they had the house built and then they ran into issues with the Weinsteins. I don't recall anything like that happening at HHN before.

A cruicial thing about working with different owners for IP's, if the owners are not happy with how the IP is being portrayed (eg, you're doing a house based off the movies and not the tv series.), they can pull the rights and prevent you from using it. In turn that can be really damaging with trying to do anything else with that company. Essentially that's what happened with Scream, so any chance of it happening at HHN is unfortunately as low as it can possibly be.

Yep. Weinstein contractually wanted TV series-based house. They got the movie and nixed it.

AHS vs TWD has always been the issue. (FX & AMC are of course rival networks, to boot.) Big egos in play with both properties; Walking Dead was running out of steam in Orlando & got the permanent attraction in Hollywood, opening the door to AHS being the centerpiece push for both resorts. With that issue out of the way, AHS became possible.

I was kind of hoping they would end on the 5th, but I've thought all along the 4th made more sense.

Beep, beep Richie.

We all float down here.

Partying_1685a8_2555742.gif