Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 418 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Honestly, people gripe and complain that Universal has no slow moving dark rides....and now, here you go...People need to realize that every ride is not necessarily for them

Hey friend, you misunderstood what I was trying to say. :) I love slow moving dark rides, they are my favorite type. I wish Universal would build 5 more of them at least. I'm also happy that there will be rides for kids as I have kids myself. And I totally understand that not every ride is for me. Its why I stopped riding dueling dragons and the Hulk, because I couldn't take it anymore. And I'm totally okay with that. I love seeing everyone else scream and come off excited. The only thing I'm saying is that it needs to be better than the Seuss trolley ride, because I can ride things like that at my local theme park at home.

When first details were coming out about the Yoshi ride, I got the impression that it was going to be mostly indoors and filled with amazing sets and colors and that it would be something that would be much better than E.T., which is what it was rumored to be replacing. But now it seems the insiders are trying to tell us to temper our expectations and that a lot of it will be outside. And the outside comment totally makes me think of the Suess trolley. So this is basically me tempering my expectations.

I'm all for having slow dark rides. But I also want them to be GOOD. And like I said before, this may turn out to be the best new ride there, who knows until we actually ride it? But until then, we can post how we feel about what little we know. :)

(added smiley faces so to not seem combative)

Hey friend, you misunderstood what I was trying to say. :) I love slow moving dark rides, they are my favorite type. I wish Universal would build 5 more of them at least. I'm also happy that there will be rides for kids as I have kids myself. And I totally understand that not every ride is for me. Its why I stopped riding dueling dragons and the Hulk, because I couldn't take it anymore. And I'm totally okay with that. I love seeing everyone else scream and come off excited. The only thing I'm saying is that it needs to be better than the Seuss trolley ride, because I can ride things like that at my local theme park at home.

When first details were coming out about the Yoshi ride, I got the impression that it was going to be mostly indoors and filled with amazing sets and colors and that it would be something that would be much better than E.T., which is what it was rumored to be replacing. But now it seems the insiders are trying to tell us to temper our expectations and that a lot of it will be outside. And the outside comment totally makes me think of the Suess trolley. So this is basically me tempering my expectations.

I'm all for having slow dark rides. But I also want them to be GOOD. And like I said before, this may turn out to be the best new ride there, who knows until we actually ride it? But until then, we can post how we feel about what little we know. :)

(added smiley faces so to not seem combative)
Totally agree, if this turns out to be another Alice I'll be happy, if it is another "Dr. Suess High in the Sky what's its name"/I'll be majorlly bummed

Reactions: Ashhanbre
Yes, and ET is a great (IMHO) slow moving dark ride so for it to be replaced with a lesser quality slow moving dark ride would be a net loss, but I'm still excited for Yoshi and happy ET has at least a few more years

There is. But half the ride takes place outside. The queue and first/last part is in a tall skinny building in front of the middle of MK/DK.

Check out my new video for a better visual explanation. Been working on this all week. Let me know what you think y'all. (And sorry I'm fighting off a cold in the video.) It's the culmination of all my research thus far.

This video got me so excited for the land, I want to break ground on it myself.

Best of all worlds. ET, Universal's beloved classic dark ride, stays. And a new, essentially dark ride omnimover, Yoshi, arrives. Two dark rides, instead of just one, is a real plus...

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.....Fred Rogers

That is pretty sweet when you look at it like that, but it's even better when you add a third dark ride in the form of Mario Kart -and- a family coaster in the form of Donkey Kong. That's not just a win-win, that can be best summed up as...

"It's a great day for America!" - Craig Ferguson

When first details were coming out about the Yoshi ride, I got the impression that it was going to be mostly indoors and filled with amazing sets and colors and that it would be something that would be much better than E.T.

I think the idea is that the land itself will be a beautifully detailed set, hence for Yoshi they don't need much else, since the land itself will be the "showbuilding".

I think the idea is that the land itself will be a beautifully detailed set, hence for Yoshi they don't need much else, since the land itself will be the "showbuilding".
yeah I was thinking the same thing. Even if yoshi was a copy/paste of suess, just the view of snw would beat out suess alone.

Reactions: anihilnation
I just love the trolley ride. Sues Landing is so detailed and it's fun to watch it from above.
Regarding yoshi: I couldn't care less. We get Mario Kart and Donkey Kong, the rest is extra. But if it's a fun little train ride through the whole area I'm sure I'll love it for it's views and it's kinetic energy it brings to the place.

Reactions: Quint and Alicia
Watching Alicia's video gets me so hyped. Mario Kart has the potential to be one of the best attractions in the world. I just hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. If it really does mix together moving animatronics on ride vehicles, large sets featuring their own animatronics, interactivity, AND AR... I can imagine it being an ops nightmare that breaks down a lot, maybe even worse than Gringotts. I just hope that they work out the kinks at Japan before opening the other two.

Plus, capacity is a bit scary to think about too. It seems that each ride vehicle will carry four people, and two will be dispatching at the same time. So, if they can get the two vehicles to dispatch in around 45 seconds each, that's 80 dispatches in an hour. 80 dispatches of 8 people in an hour is... 640 people an hour. Yeesh. That said, it can also be condensed. If they expand each car to fit six people, and work dispatches down to 30 seconds, that brings the attraction up to around 1,440 people per hour. But even on that higher end, that's still a low capacity compared to the likes of FJ.

TL;DR: I'm obscenely hyped for Mario Kart in concept but I do have some worries about execution. I hope they work it out, because if they do, it'll have the potential to be one of the best attractions on Earth.

I just love the trolley ride. Sues Landing is so detailed and it's fun to watch it from above.
Regarding yoshi: I couldn't care less. We get Mario Kart and Donkey Kong, the rest is extra. But if it's a fun little train ride through the whole area I'm sure I'll love it for it's views and it's kinetic energy it brings to the place.
I like the idea that we get to ride our own Yoshi. So while kinda like Suess Trolley, it’ll at least be a more personal experience. I’m hoping it’ll have some sort of interactivity to it, like collecting coins or eggs or something. Make for good reridability.

Watching Alicia's video gets me so hyped. Mario Kart has the potential to be one of the best attractions in the world. I just hope they don't bite off more than they can chew. If it really does mix together moving animatronics on ride vehicles, large sets featuring their own animatronics, interactivity, AND AR... I can imagine it being an ops nightmare that breaks down a lot, maybe even worse than Gringotts. I just hope that they work out the kinks at Japan before opening the other two.

Plus, capacity is a bit scary to think about too. It seems that each ride vehicle will carry four people, and two will be dispatching at the same time. So, if they can get the two vehicles to dispatch in around 45 seconds each, that's 80 dispatches in an hour. 80 dispatches of 8 people in an hour is... 640 people an hour. Yeesh. That said, it can also be condensed. If they expand each car to fit six people, and work dispatches down to 30 seconds, that brings the attraction up to around 1,440 people per hour. But even on that higher end, that's still a low capacity compared to the likes of FJ.

TL;DR: I'm obscenely hyped for Mario Kart in concept but I do have some worries about execution. I hope they work it out, because if they do, it'll have the potential to be one of the best attractions on Earth.
There may be multiple load stations in a row to help capacity. Kinda like Test Track

Reactions: captainmoch

They can fix the dispatch by having a continuous loading platform like HRRR and Forbidden Journey with cars moving to the start line before the ride actually starts.

There may be multiple load stations in a row to help capacity. Kinda like Test Track
That could work as well. I think as long as they get dispatches into the ride down to at least 30-ish seconds, they SHOULD be okay with capacity. But I do think they should definitely expand ride vehicles to hold six people, with the karts being around MIB-sized.

One advantage Mario Kart will have over FJ and Gringotts is that capacity will be split between three shiny brand new attractions, one of which is a people-eating omnimover and the other of which is a coaster, which always draws in people. It'll definitely be better than FJ which was the only NEW and fully-themed attraction in Hogsmeade upon opening, and Gringotts which was the only attraction in Diagon in general.