Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say a Franchise to watch would be Jumanji. It's doing gangbusters at the box office and I'd imagine sequels are already in the works and it would work perfectly as a land/ride.

Unless they get the Rock to be in a sequel, I would not hold my breath on this being anything more than a fluke.

I would say a Franchise to watch would be Jumanji. It's doing gangbusters at the box office and I'd imagine sequels are already in the works and it would work perfectly as a land/ride.

My number 1 to watch would be Paddington. Never seen it and I thought it would suck but the reviews for these two movies are ridiculously good. Both movies are produced by companies with strong links to Universal.

Paddington (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes

Paddington 2 (2018) - Rotten Tomatoes

Unless they get the Rock to be in a sequel, I would not hold my breath on this being anything more than a fluke.
They will. Sony learned from the Zathura flop when they made this Jumanji sequel.

I'd expect the Jumanji sequels to feature Rock/Hart/Black/Gillan.

If they made a sequel to this Jumanji with the same actors playing their video game characters, it's not going to have the same effect as the first one. The whole point is that teenagers are playing as these avatars. If a sequel has new kids playing the game, then The Rock will have a different personality. If it's the same kids playing the game, the sequel will just retread all the same things as the first.

If you ask me, this is best left a one and done situation. Of course, Hollywood does like money, so who knows.

If they made a sequel to this Jumanji with the same actors playing their video game characters, it's not going to have the same effect as the first one. The whole point is that teenagers are playing as these avatars. If a sequel has new kids playing the game, then The Rock will have a different personality. If it's the same kids playing the game, the sequel will just retread all the same things as the first.

If you ask me, this is best left a one and done situation. Of course, Hollywood does like money, so who knows.

Is it odd that I felt Welcome to The Jungle was an end-cap for the Jumanji story in general?

Honestly, the only way I think Jumanji would work in a Theme Park, is if Jumanji tampered with an actual attraction, causing the guests to go into the world of Jumanji, to save it and to also get caught up in a firefight of animals, humans, and our heroes.

Is it odd that I felt Welcome to The Jungle was an end-cap for the Jumanji story in general?

Honestly, the only way I think Jumanji would work in a Theme Park, is if Jumanji tampered with an actual attraction, causing the guests to go into the world of Jumanji, to save it and to also get caught up in a firefight of animals, humans, and our heroes.
Yeah it’s making bank. It’s not ending.

Sony doesn't have enough franchises to let Jumanji (their biggest non-Spiderman release ever in the US when it finishes) sit idle for another 2 decades.

Jumanji 2 will probably be dated around 2021 or 2022 depending on Rock's F&F obligations.

We're talking about a movie that cost $100m and will finish around $800m box office worldwide. Sony's probably already working on a scenario to follow it.

Given Sony's recent Ghostbusters flop and lack of movement on the MIB reboot and Jump Street sequels, they need Jumanji sequels and will pay big $ to Rock et al to make it happen.

Sony doesn't have enough franchises to let Jumanji (their biggest non-Spiderman release ever in the US when it finishes) sit idle for another 2 decades.

Jumanji 2 will probably be dated around 2021 or 2022 depending on Rock's F&F obligations.

We're talking about a movie that cost $100m and will finish around $800m box office worldwide. Sony's probably already working on a scenario to follow it.

Given Sony's recent Ghostbusters flop and lack of movement on the MIB reboot and Jump Street sequels, they need Jumanji sequels and will pay big $ to Rock et al to make it happen.
In other words, how many rides can we include The Rock into

Even the Rock doesn't guarantee a success, remember Baywatch anyone.

Jumanji won on the basis of being a family friendly film released in a stream of holiday films that hit more demographics and a larger target audience. than The Greatest Showman and Pitch Perfect 3. Simple at best, it was smart alternative programming to TLJ.

Last edited:
Even the Rock doesn't guarantee a success, remember Baywatch anyone.

Jumanji won on the basises of being a family friendly film released in a stream of holiday films that hit more demographics and a larger target audience. than The Greatest Showman and Pitch Perfect 3. Simple at best, it was smart alternative programming to TLJ.
And of course an actor doesn't automatically equal success. Cast The Rock as Johnny in "The Room" and it's still a terrible movie. If the script sucks, then the actor only takes things so far. A sequel to Jumanji would do very well based on how positively people have reacted to this film if the original cast comes back.

I'd like to see Zathura with a similar reboot. I know the film did not do well (though it is a lot of fun, well made and good reviews), wiki has it running up against a tough family film market when it was released. Running up against Harry Potter and a Dis animated film was a tough draw.

I'd like to see Zathura with a similar reboot. I know the film did not do well (though it is a lot of fun, well made and good reviews), wiki has it running up against a tough family film market when it was released. Running up against Harry Potter and a Dis animated film was a tough draw.

Here's the thing, Goblet didn't release until the week after, and Chicken Little (yeah, remember that dumpster fire?) was released a week before that.

That said, what does a new Jumanji film have to do with Universal's fourth gate?

Here's the thing, Goblet didn't release until the week after, and Chicken Little (yeah, remember that dumpster fire?) was released a week before that.

That said, what does a new Jumanji film have to do with Universal's fourth gate?
Not much at the moment, but I do think Universal will end up buying Sony Pictures some day in the future if Sony ever puts their media division up for sale (not anytime soon according to Sony's CEO). So it's worth keeping in the back of our minds if/when that scenario comes to pass.

Not much at the moment, but I do think Universal will end up buying Sony Pictures some day in the future if Sony ever puts their media division up for sale (not anytime soon according to Sony's CEO). So it's worth keeping in the back of our minds if/when that scenario comes to pass.

I think Disney would be more likely to buy them, given their current partnership with Sony for SpiderMan

I think Disney would be more likely to buy them, given their current partnership with Sony for SpiderMan
Naw Disney will own way too much to be able to buy another Big 6 studio after their Fox purchase.

Universal is the most logical buyer for a variety of reasons (no anti-trust issues, Universal would offer the highest price, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.