Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 53 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hate being forced to wear 3-D glasses on any ride period.....but that being said these are my favorite glasses because at least everything doesn't go dark as soon as you put them on. They feel the "least" inhibiting.

Reactions: tankart150
At least play animal noises throughout the land. It’s just fake plants and rock throughout with nothing really breaking it up. FoP is a good ride, but Navi River was just a waste of space and money IMO. The final shaman is amazing, but all is before that is black like plants and hoping balls of yarn. The projections on the overhead petals were neat, but it needed more. It’s easily the worst boat ride at Disney.

Worst boat ride in Disney? Hmmm....I'd have to think about that. Mexico isn't all that great, but probably has a bit more variation than River Journey does. I didn't like the Frozen ride much at all either, but at least it had several AAs. I guess I could agree with this statement.

Also, there are plenty of animal and other noises in the park. It was the first thing I noticed when I entered Pandora actually.

Reactions: tankart150
At least play animal noises throughout the land. It’s just fake plants and rock throughout with nothing really breaking it up. FoP is a good ride, but Navi River was just a waste of space and money IMO. The final shaman is amazing, but all is before that is black like plants and hoping balls of yarn. The projections on the overhead petals were neat, but it needed more. It’s easily the worst boat ride at Disney.

It's short and scenic, which when one is accustomed to longer linear stories in all major attractions can be perceived as bland, but I argue that from the beginning, its implementation of dimension in media and small practical motor effects is highly impressive. Especially when you consider the time, energy, and design behind all the individual plants and animals, and their subsequent black light painting and the actual disguising of lighting fixtures, and the integration of miscellaneous foliage for the surrounding scenic framing of each centerpiece, and the integration of a water river system with small hills along the banks. And that's just the visual experience. Audio is almost a game changer, given how you can hear the Na'vi singing more and more as the ride progresses and yet only see vignettes of them. Gone are the vocables and yelps of Jungle Cruise's "natives", and in its place is a catchy song with a truly impressive and well articulated singer.

What I'm getting at is that it's sometimes more about your perception of the design that can make all the difference. A first impressions ride is perhaps 20% of how to truly appreciate a theme park attraction, which I'm sure is pretty agreeable. I wholeheartedly agree that more than one animatronic, a longer ride with perhaps a small drop, etc., would've made for a better ride more worthy of a 90 minute wait to guests. But we're not just average guests here, so to call it a waste of space and money is a bit of a slap in the face to the fabricators and artists and designers that were given a budget and told to make the best of it. I think they really did, yknow?

It’s beautiful, just a bad ride for a two ride billion dollar land.

It’s no different than Hogwarts keeping dragons challenge for so long.

Last edited:
It’s no different than Hogwarts keeping dragons challenge for so long.

bcf.png

I guess I will be one of the few that believes FoP should've been a stand alone ride. The land didn't do it for me. Although it is very appealing to the eye for the very first time, unfortunately the land is TINY, and my key expectations before opening was floating mountains and bioluminescent. IMO they failed both badly, the floating mountains looks like a pile of rocks in the shape of an arch... they are pretty, but that's as far as they go. The Bio, you are better off doing the land during the day, if not! then don't forget your flashlight because it's one of the darkest land I've ever been, when it is supposed to be the total opposite. What really gets to me is exiting Epcot at night and walking over the sparkling tile behind SSE, and think what a missed opportunity.

I guess I will be one of the few that believes FoP should've been a stand alone ride. The land didn't do it for me. Although it is very appealing to the eye for the very first time, unfortunately the land is TINY, and my key expectations before opening was floating mountains and bioluminescent. IMO they failed both badly, the floating mountains looks like a pile of rocks in the shape of an arch... they are pretty, but that's as far as they go. The Bio, you are better off doing the land during the day, if not! then don't forget your flashlight because it's one of the darkest land I've ever been, when it is supposed to be the total opposite. What really gets to me is exiting Epcot at night and walking over the sparkling tile behind SSE, and think what a missed opportunity.
That's actually a brilliant point...Why didn't they do anything with fiber optics here? It looks great at Epcot and would work here

Instead it looks like a laser tag arena at night

That's actually a brilliant point...Why didn't they do anything with fiber optics here? It looks great at Epcot and would work here

Well remember, the original plan was the pathway was supposed to react to your steps - but it was cut.

Well remember, the original plan was the pathway was supposed to react to your steps - but it was cut.

Do you think that something they could ever put in, in the future and bill it as “plussing” the land? I wish they could have pulled that off. I think that would be SO cool! I’m easily impressed though :)

Do you think that something they could ever put in, in the future and bill it as “plussing” the land? I wish they could have pulled that off. I think that would be SO cool! I’m easily impressed though :)
Yeah, they could probably just do what they originally promised (which 99.9% of people wouldn't even know was supposed to happen) and use it as a combo package with a land expansion. Rumor is that the land is going to get a Table Service at the least... if the sequels do well, it may get a third ride.

Well I'm glad you got my point, because I hate to sound like a negative Nancy but I really was looking for that jaw dropping night time bioluminescent experience. Another perfect example, You know those small blue potato shape plants that are everywhere in the land. At night the just turn ON, and that's it, they just look like a night stand lamp. Why couldn't they used a gentle rotating film (meaning those plastic light filters) to create a shadow that looks like movement within, which will make it look alive.... IDK all I can say with today's technology, I was expecting more. Still a pretty land though.

Reactions: violarum
It's short and scenic, which when one is accustomed to longer linear stories in all major attractions can be perceived as bland, but I argue that from the beginning, its implementation of dimension in media and small practical motor effects is highly impressive. Especially when you consider the time, energy, and design behind all the individual plants and animals, and their subsequent black light painting and the actual disguising of lighting fixtures, and the integration of miscellaneous foliage for the surrounding scenic framing of each centerpiece, and the integration of a water river system with small hills along the banks. And that's just the visual experience. Audio is almost a game changer, given how you can hear the Na'vi singing more and more as the ride progresses and yet only see vignettes of them. Gone are the vocables and yelps of Jungle Cruise's "natives", and in its place is a catchy song with a truly impressive and well articulated singer.

What I'm getting at is that it's sometimes more about your perception of the design that can make all the difference. A first impressions ride is perhaps 20% of how to truly appreciate a theme park attraction, which I'm sure is pretty agreeable. I wholeheartedly agree that more than one animatronic, a longer ride with perhaps a small drop, etc., would've made for a better ride more worthy of a 90 minute wait to guests. But we're not just average guests here, so to call it a waste of space and money is a bit of a slap in the face to the fabricators and artists and designers that were given a budget and told to make the best of it. I think they really did, yknow?

This is the same argument supporting Dinorama, btw.

For the standard guests they visit WDW for the rides and entertainment and just to relax. People don't come too watch and sightsee. If they did come to sightsee they would go to Europe or any where else and spend the money to do that stuff.
It's a beautiful area but it's not the typical 'theme park' attraction/land were used to seeing. Potter changed the game because we can somewhat 'live' inside the land. Cars Land allowed us to live the land a bit. Pandora, and their rides, are just something to see. There's no interaction with the land. The design is not the problem, its everything else that people have issues about.

Reactions: Ultranel