Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

Spider-Man is what gives me the most conflict about MSHI. Take it away and MSHI is average. Hulk is great but it it would still be the same if it was rethemed to something else.

I'm at a point now where I wish something would happen with Marvel in Orlando whether Universal finally build something new or Disney take the IP back. my concerns with Disney taking it back is that Spider-Man has to go which would be the biggest travesty in theme park history and Disney aren't exactly doing great things with the IP but they're doing something. Guardians is an excellent ride and surpasses ToT as far as I'm concerned but it's impossible to do at DHS.

Good luck talking to Comcast about it, they ain't gonna give the East of the Mississippi Marvel rights back to Disney anytime soon. After all, Universal (under MCA at the time) negotiated a contract that heavily favored them over Marvel as part of the condition for MSHI at IOA and they wanted to become like what Disney was, and Comcast wanted to aim to be in that spotlight.

Good luck talking to Comcast about it, they ain't gonna give the East of the Mississippi Marvel rights back to Disney anytime soon. After all, Universal (under MCA at the time) negotiated a contract that heavily favored them over Marvel as part of the condition for MSHI at IOA and they wanted to become like what Disney was, and Comcast wanted to aim to be in that spotlight.

That’s the big problem with all of this. Universal will never release the rights unless they’re getting something crazy in return as it would be gifting their competitors a huge advantage and they’d have to remove a land which had the greatest ride ever made in my opinion and hosts the hottest IP in popular culture today.

As it stands, it feels like we’re in a stalemate and this thread about MSHI expansion could go on for years with nothing happening.

I hope I’m wrong.

That’s the big problem with all of this. Universal will never release the rights unless they’re getting something crazy in return as it would be gifting their competitors a huge advantage and they’d have to remove a land which had the greatest ride ever made in my opinion and hosts the hottest IP in popular culture today.

As it stands, it feels like we’re in a stalemate and this thread about MSHI expansion could go on for years with nothing happening.

I hope I’m wrong.
If Comcast gets Fox, it could be interesting how they integrate X-Men

I also think Universal has plans for Marvel, it's just post fourth gate stuff

If Comcast gets Fox, I’m not so sure they get X-Men seeing as Fox doesn’t actually own X-Men.

No, it just means that Fox would be making money for Comcast/Universal via producing X-Men movies as long they produce them within a certain period of time. Remember the royalties that Marvel makes off from its licensing agreement to Fox for X-Men is peanuts in comparison to the BO market share Fox makes; it's the reason why Marvel have merchandising, video game, and cartoon embargo on the Fantastic Four and X-Men, because they don't want to be seen promoting a major competitor. So if that happens, then it would involve more tensions and heat between Disney/Marvel and Comcast/NBCUniversal, rather than Fox.

No, it just means that Fox would be making money for Comcast/Universal via producing X-Men movies as long they produce them within a certain period of time. Remember the royalties that Marvel makes off from its licensing agreement to Fox for X-Men is peanuts in comparison to the BO market share Fox makes; it's the reason why Marvel have merchandising, video game, and cartoon embargo on the Fantastic Four and X-Men, because they don't want to be seen promoting a major competitor. So if that happens, then it would involve more tensions and heat between Disney/Marvel and Comcast/NBCUniversal, rather than Fox.
I don't feel there is tension, there is a binding contract that states that Universal owns the theme park rights in Orlando (and other places) and it doesn't cost Universal a cent.
I'm sure it's for sale but I'm sure Disney don't want to spent that amount of money. Maybe if Disney buys Fox Universal can be persuaded by ip's Disney doesn't think fits their portfolio and Universal wants an of course the cash to change a complete land.

Universal would love to have the rights to the MCU-likeness for IOA. People are kidding themselves if they think it's in Universal's best interest to not have that. They don't though and that's sort of the problem. They are stuck in a purgatory where they only have access to half of the golden goose, for pennies mind you.

They have no qualms with supporting a competitors likeness if that's what people want and will bring them into the parks. They don't just want J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World, they wanted Warner Brother's likeness of J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World.

The problem is money is never going to exchange hands over this realistically. The price for Universal to get the MCU likeness is way too high. The price for WDW to get access back to the whole meal deal is way too high.

There could be some sort of surgical cut out perhaps, a more discrete carve out like what happened with Sony and Disney. MCU likeness Avengers for Black Panther for example.

Otherwise the swamps is stuck with what it is stuck with. Hey, at least Spiderman is a gem and Guardians should be relatively cool.

I would argue that only Spider-Man and Hulk have gotten updates. Hulk got a complete refurb, while Spidey's update was a little half-assed. The HD footage on Spidey is awesome, no doubt about that. But they really should have replaced the cars and the que footage with it.
If it's redone like Hulk's...I'll pass. :ack:

I don't feel there is tension, there is a binding contract that states that Universal owns the theme park rights in Orlando (and other places) and it doesn't cost Universal a cent.
I'm sure it's for sale but I'm sure Disney don't want to spent that amount of money. Maybe if Disney buys Fox Universal can be persuaded by ip's Disney doesn't think fits their portfolio and Universal wants an of course the cash to change a complete land.

Universal has to pay royalties to Disney/Marvel since they don't outright own Marvel Entertainment. Plus, the Marvel theme park rights is for IOA and for IOA only, and Disney World can't use any Marvel characters and their families not connected to the ones used at IOA. Also, Disney isn't gonna sell a single Fox IP to Comcast/Universal due to major competition and they want them for its own streaming service scheduled for next year, motivated by the decline of cable TV and the rise of streaming services including Hulu and Netflix. Both Disney and Comcast ain't gonna negotiate for a fair deal in the long run.

Not sure why there's so much speculation on Marvel's status at IoA.

The license is dirt cheap and incredibly favorable to Universal. I'd be shocked if it ever went anywhere unless Disney was giving something big to Universal in exchange. And even then I can't see Universal trading it out... because it blocks WDW from using most of Marvel.

Agree with this. Even if it reached a point where Universal didnt want to develop the land and promote someone elses IP, having the ability to stop Disney using the IP is priceless and I cant see the two parties ever coming close to a figure that does that justice. I think Universal probably look at the land as complete, theres two big E-Tickets there already and a couple of reasonably popular attractions that dont have a huge footprint. I think until they develop a ride system that stands out as perfect for an IP I dont see much changing over there.

Everyones mentioning that if Comcast got Fox they could do something with X-Men. Couldnt they already build a proper X-Men attraction if they wanted to? Or is it the live action X-Men people are referring to.

Universal has to pay royalties to Disney/Marvel since they don't outright own Marvel Entertainment. Plus, the Marvel theme park rights is for IOA and for IOA only, and Disney World can't use any Marvel characters and their families not connected to the ones used at IOA. Also, Disney isn't gonna sell a single Fox IP to Comcast/Universal due to major competition and they want them for its own streaming service scheduled for next year, motivated by the decline of cable TV and the rise of streaming services including Hulu and Netflix. Both Disney and Comcast ain't gonna negotiate for a fair deal in the long run.

if I'm recalling correctly, Comcast still owns a piece of Hulu with Disney. I imagine Disney is going alone on another streaming service.

This business is so intertwined, but content is still king hence why the IP holders hold all the cards.

Can’t happen anyway as I remember someone stating the contract is specifically only for MSHI in IoA. Universal can’t use Marvel in any other Florida park.
I completely forgot about that...Another factor haha

If Comcast gets Fox, I’m not so sure they get X-Men seeing as Fox doesn’t actually own X-Men.
I believe Marvel sold X-Men to Fox in 2000...Essentially Sony got Spiderman and Fox got X-Men

I'm pretty sure that is a strong reason Disney wants Fox

I believe Marvel sold X-Men to Fox in 2000...Essentially Sony got Spiderman and Fox got X-Men

I'm pretty sure that is a strong reason Disney wants Fox

Well, Fox only owns the film rights to the X-Men. Marvel/Disney still owns everything else from; comics, animation, and merchandise rights. Same goes for Sony when it comes to Spider-Man.

Uni already owns the theme park rights to the X-Men, hence the Storm Force Accelatron ride, and the X-Men characters in the park. Comcast buying Fox and getting the X-Men film rights wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not sure I understand why Uni would need permission from Disney to add or replace anything in MSHI when they already own the rights to do stuff with those characters. Sony and Fox don't need any kind of approval or permission to produce Spidey or X-Men films, so I don't see why theme park stuff would be any different. I don't even remember seeing any thing about needing permission in the contract, but I could be wrong.

Last edited: