Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Director James Gunn under fire for offensive tweets [Update: Fired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
something that happens with my cousin is that she cannot stop looking at her phone EVEN if you are talking to her.
she says she can talk to you And read the phone at the same time, but i don't buy it.
she literally cannot eat lunch without reading the phone or have a conversation with you

I made it a rule that if we are going to talk, she has to put the phone in her pocket. and you can see her starting to freak out. her feet starts to tap, her legs start to shake. she bites her thumbs. she plays with her hair. she gets more nervous and anxious the more we talk without the phone in her hand.

Sometimes i notice she posts things on facebook at 3 AM. just random stuff. i think she wakes up in the middle of the night and just starts texting. ive tried to tell her parents but they dont care
Even in theme parks I've made the rule with my GF. No phone in the parks unless we're taking pictures or we need to get in touch with someone we're meeting. Previously she'd be like your cousin and get all nervous continuously looking at the phone, or her family would always be calling her & getting her upset. Now she loves the rule and actually needs coaxed to bring the phone along for pictures. Smartphones are becoming the bane of society when overused.

I get the impression that all the people posting constantly on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram have some deep seated issues, especially when I know the person and that their life doesn't really match up to what they're trying to portray. People are chasing likes and upvotes for verification.
Bryce Dallas Howard’s character in Black Mirror comes to mind.

That demonstrates the opposite of what you think it does. Its anecdotal, but its further evidence of the existence of racial discrimination. Racial discrimination (whether conscious or unconscious) is not behavior exclusive to white people. Racism against a minority is still racism if its being perpetrated by another minority.

Edit: Sorry if this has gone off on a bit of a tangent

How about instead of reducing people to the color of their skin we treat people as individuals with different backgrounds, different thoughts, opinions, likes, and dislikes? Just because someone looks a certain way doesn’t mean that they’re all the same.

I'm going to leave it up but LOLCOW is not a good source of information (try googling them). It's like quoting Encyclopedia Dramatica as a source.

okay, lol yes the source is iffy but his tweets and comments are still online on those subjects. movie bob is a controversial figure for sure and hes not that well liked in geek circles. even if lolcow is is iffy he has made those controversial comments.

he is extremely biased and political and his opinions on Gunn and roseanne are rather poor.

How about instead of reducing people to the color of their skin we treat people as individuals with different backgrounds, different thoughts, opinions, likes, and dislikes? Just because someone looks a certain way doesn’t mean that they’re all the same.

I’ve always wondered how much the internet has helped reduces prejudices. Take this forum for example, I know what maybe a handful of people look like and you only really have somebody’s opinion, life experience and avatar to go off. If a racist posted here and mixed well with the community, would they feel different towards somebody if they knew their race or is something going to trigger in their brain and realise that we’re all the same.

I have an amazing life. Problem solved.

Movie Bob did a fantastic write up also on more of the nuances of this.

On James Gunn, Fake Outrage and Letting The Bad Guys Win – MOVIEBOB CENTRAL

I actually don’t think there’s much nuance in there.

He makes some interesting points but he’s so clearly coming at it from such a stridently ideological point of view that it weakens his overall case in a major way.

I've followed MovieBob for a while, and he really does strike me as the sort of person who, if he had the chance to snap his fingers (Thanos-style) and wipe out everybody on the right in this country, would take it without thinking twice.

@Joe Mods feel free to delete if you don't want this here.

Just had a random thought, and it is definitely way way worse than anything he tweeted if you go look anything up for it. Wouldn't any comedian that ever told The *Insert name for noble people here* joke (many many many major names have) now have a massive bulls eye on them?

Just had a random thought, and it is definitely way way worse than anything he tweeted if you go look anything up for it. Wouldn't any comedian that ever told The *Insert name for noble people here* joke (many many many major names have) now have a massive bulls eye on them?
Aristocrats?

There's a difference between telling blue jokes in a nightclub or on a public forum like Twitter. Know your audience I guess.

Aristocrats?

There's a difference between telling blue jokes in a nightclub or on a public forum like Twitter. Know your audience I guess.
Yeah, but it isn't even a joke. Its just the most sadistic, raunchiest story that adheres to the rules possible. I would assume that it could be taken out of context (time, space, and audience) and people would be up in arms about it.

@Joe Mods feel free to delete if you don't want this here.

ask Kramer how his "edgy joke" went with the crowd back when :lol:

giphy.gif

That incident wasn’t part of his set though. He got into an exchange with people in the crowd, hecklers I guess? And it got, um, heated.

and it was a horrible way to handle it... but, it still was a "joke" I guess?
if we are supposed to accept James Gunn's disgusting old tweets as jokes, is it time to forgive Kramer for his disgusting joke too?

and it was a horrible way to handle it... but, it still was a "joke" I guess?
if we are supposed to accept James Gunn's disgusting old tweets as jokes, is it time to forgive Kramer for his disgusting joke too?
If Gunn called me a derogatory word to my face I wouldn’t forgive him, no. But he didn’t. He made juvenile 8th grade level “attempts of humor” directed at no one in particular, in the instances given. While tasteless and unfunny, they weren’t hateful or derogatory towards a person, or group of people, in the way that Mr. Richards’s comments were.

Status
Not open for further replies.