Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 180 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I’ve been trying to do park updates for Epcot and Hollywood Studios at least every other month, but it’s hard to convince myself to actually visit this park. It’s just such a mess right now. If you saw my post, the first dozen photos are just about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get through the park gate from your car.

When all this construction is done, the park will be much better for it, but until more rides open after Star Wars, DHS will still be uncomfortable to visit for awhile, unfortunately.

Yikes you aren't kidding. This park really should have just closed for a year, or at least until the parking area was completed. I won't be stepping foot into this park until 2020 at the earliest.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yikes you aren't kidding. This park really should have just closed for a year, or at least until the parking area was completed. I won't be stepping foot into this park until 2020 at the earliest.

I don't think a park closure was necessary. The only real loss the park had was GMR (and seasonally the lights), which is being replaced. The Studio Tour was a people eater, but didn't draw crowds the same way ToT does. LMA wasn't the best show. DHS was already a hellscape.

Reactions: rastuso and Ryno27
I’ve been trying to do park updates for Epcot and Hollywood Studios at least every other month, but it’s hard to convince myself to actually visit this park. It’s just such a mess right now. If you saw my post, the first dozen photos are just about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get through the park gate from your car.

When all this construction is done, the park will be much better for it, but until more rides open after Star Wars, DHS will still be uncomfortable to visit for awhile, unfortunately.
Yes. Just a shell of the park I used to love. When we did our one day WDW park grand slam last month, the park, and it's environs, seemed like a total mess. And I sure was not impressed with that hot concrete, no shade oven they call Toy Story Land. Standing in a long line for Slinky in the super hot outdoor queue reminded me of the hotbox the Japanese punished prisoners in The Bridge on the River Kwai movie. GESWL & Mickey & Minnie will definitely help this presently Disaster of a park.

If you saw my post, the first dozen photos are just about how much of a pain in the butt it is to get through the park gate from your car.

I was truly unprepared for what an ordeal this would be on my trip there last month. On a hot day, it's a death march on blacktop from parking to the gate. It's borderline unacceptable to make guests cross that distance.

It probably will start at Epcot for some people, considering that DHS's parking lot isn't even capable of holding the expected increase, even with the expanded lot.

They should have built the parking garage that was - at one time - part of the proposed changes to the park leading up to Galaxy's Edge opening.

they could have easily put a new parking structure in place instead of a new hotel....which will likely be filled on a regular basis.

I’m hoping the cave gets built. More of that needs to be blocked from view if you ask me. The trees on the berm on the right and left are good. It’s just over the CM gate that needs to be blocked now.
The cave isn't getting built anymore. Supposedly Disneyland rejected a third cave entrance... which is our second entrance. Since we're splitting costs, we lost the cave entrance as well.

The cave isn't getting built anymore. Supposedly Disneyland rejected a third cave entrance... which is our second entrance. Since we're splitting costs, we lost the cave entrance as well.
That's a shame, and I do remember you saying that before. Kinda hoping they change their mind after seeing sight lines from TSL someday.

It's this kind of nonsense that really bugs me. Disneyland's two primary entrances will preserve a grand reveal of the land, yet only one of ours will (to the same extent). They're fine compromising the immersion in Florida, but not in California.

I don't think a park closure was necessary. The only real loss the park had was GMR (and seasonally the lights), which is being replaced. The Studio Tour was a people eater, but didn't draw crowds the same way ToT does. LMA wasn't the best show. DHS was already a hellscape.

As long as there are rides open, the park should stay open. However, I still think that the park's layout is ill suited for the crowds that it will experience. That was always one benefit of hub and spoke with an outside loop for the park. In thinking back to when HP opened at IOA, the crowds were awful and Hogsmeade basically blocked that loop. I can't remember if the bypass bridge was open then but that would have been the only way around.

That's the funny thing to me. They really didn't build these parks with growth in mind. All that land and yet seemingly poor usage/efficiency.

Reactions: HPFred
So a quick side to the opening date at DHS its looking like a late Dec opening now, will/would Disney open it the day that Ep IX opens in the cinema ?
Around that time may very well be the "grand opening." With high tier AP previews, DVC previews, (and God forbid, paid previews) going on from the the 16th to the 21st. Just a hunch.

Here's hoping they get everything done early enough to have a couple weeks of previews that allow all AP levels to participate like Pandora - and not only Gold and above rushed in an hour early after the land has already opened to guests like Toy Story Land.

Reactions: Coasted and HPFred
WDW’s exterior construction seems to be very near what Disneyland has even with a supposed 6 month difference in completion, but I’ve heard that it’s due to WDW mainly focusing on exteriors, because of the unpredictable weather of central Florida, rather than interiors. With Disneyland working on both at a steady pace.

Here’s a comparison

Last edited: