Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I really don't understand Disney's rationale for wanting the land to open at the height of the holiday season when the parks are already unmanageable due to crowds. Seems like a recipe for a total disaster to me.

An early December opening, in the "dead period" between Thanksgiving and Christmas would seem to be a much more logical choice to me.

To be fair, it doesn’t matter when it opens. Whether it’s on Christmas Day or January 25th, you’re going to be waiting all day to get in.

Does anyone remember how they did Pandora DVC? Did you need a park ticket? Did you need a hotel reservation to get the DVC Preview? Or could anyone do it.
If it’s the latter, I think I’m gonna give it a go and grab a throwaway hotel. Might be worth a cheap flight just to do it.

Hoe funny is it that even he calls it “Star Wars Land.”
I actually wasn't surprised much at that considering he was speaking to investors, so many likely wouldn't know what a "Galaxy's Edge" is. I took it that he just wanted to put things in plain terms. They'd probably think he got confused and was talking about a smartphone :lol:

I really don't understand Disney's rationale for wanting the land to open at the height of the holiday season when the parks are already unmanageable due to crowds. Seems like a recipe for a total disaster to me.

An early December opening, in the "dead period" between Thanksgiving and Christmas would seem to be a much more logical choice to me.
Disney doesn't "want" it to open during this period. This is when it's being rushed to open. They'd love to have it open in the Summer if they could, but it's just not possible with where construction is at.

Does anyone remember how they did Pandora DVC? Did you need a park ticket? Did you need a hotel reservation to get the DVC Preview? Or could anyone do it.
If it’s the latter, I think I’m gonna give it a go and grab a throwaway hotel. Might be worth a cheap flight just to do it.
Do you need a hotel reservation to sign up for the Epcot or Magic Kingdom after hours DVC parties?

I remember that DVC had signups online same as APs for Pandora, and special times early in the morning. Not sure on other specifics though.

Look y’all, I told everyone so. Eagerly await “but it’s the best we have” discussions to follow.
I don't think anyone doubted that the numbers were fudged. Just from being in DHS, you can tell that the numbers are way off. The place is a ghost town much of the time.

However, it is still the best we have :lol:

Do you need a hotel reservation to sign up for the Epcot or Magic Kingdom after hours DVC parties?

I remember that DVC had signups online same as APs for Pandora, and special times early in the morning. Not sure on other specifics though.
No. A hotel reservation just gets you earlier access to the DVC party sign-ups. If you are a local you can still go. I've been to five parties (two at MK, one at DAK and two at Typhoon) and haven't stayed at a hotel for any of them.

No. A hotel reservation just gets you earlier access to the DVC party sign-ups. If you are a local you can still go. I've been to five parties (two at MK, one at DAK and two at Typhoon) and haven't stayed at a hotel for any of them.
That’s what I thought thanks.

Look y’all, I told everyone so. Eagerly await “but it’s the best we have” discussions to follow.
Finally. Vindication. I too, was getting tired of saying, in the past, that the TEA numbers on DHS made no sense, and then some other sites (TPI for one) backing up the TEA obviously bad numbers on DHS like they were gospel. .

Last edited:
Finally. Vindication. I too, was getting tired of saying, in the past, that the TEA numbers on DHS made no sense, and then some other sites (TPI for one) backing up the TEA obviously bad numbers on DHS.
Disney knows the park has capacity issues too, which is why that Cars show is happening in a few months (as well as the Incredibles area) and why they are seriously looking at pulling the trigger on Indy. According to @Marni1971, they now realize they should've approved more so that the park had more capacity for when SWGE opens.

Disney knows the park has capacity issues too, which is why that Cars show is happening in a few months (as well as the Incredibles area) and why they are seriously looking at pulling the trigger on Indy. According to @Marni1971, they now realize they should've approved more so that the park had more capacity for when SWGE opens.
Ahh, just like you and many of us have repeatedly written over the past few years. :thumbsup:

Ahh, just like you and many of us have repeatedly written over the past few years. :thumbsup:
And now it will cause an even bigger strain on the park if Indy happens because that happening means the end of the Stunt Show, which still constantly fills up. Remove that and it's just even less capacity that the park will have for awhile while they build yet another land that will likely only have two rides max. Although imagine an Indy ropes course like the Pirates one in Shanghai... it would sort of be a version of Camp Jurassic for DHS.

And now it will cause an even bigger strain on the park if Indy happens because that happening means the end of the Stunt Show, which still constantly fills up. Remove that and it's just even less capacity that the park will have for awhile while they build yet another land that will likely only have two rides max. Although imagine an Indy ropes course like the Pirates one in Shanghai... it would sort of be a version of Camp Jurassic for DHS.
You are so right. Amazing that so many of us amateurs could see what was going to occur capacity wise, but the over paid executives that rarely walk into a park couldn't grasp.

I don't think anyone doubted that the numbers were fudged. Just from being in DHS, you can tell that the numbers are way off. The place is a ghost town much of the time.

However, it is still the best we have :lol:

The TEA numbers are a convenient lie. The real numbers get released to area attractions managers and even resort F&B managers more or less on the daily, usually filter down to front-line CMs. A little bit of shoe leather, a couple beers at Alehouse, a reporter or one of the mega-sites could have that information pouring in everyday through email. I mean, like at the effort a site like Touring Plans puts in--this wouldn't be nearly that involved. But the first time you make the Mouse look dumb, you're going to be bounced from every press event.

Back on topic ... Christmas Week 2019 the land has to be a separate upcharge, right? But how do you convey that to average guest? And that plan basically has to be in place by next month to put in restrictions on APs, doesn't it?

Back on topic ... Christmas Week 2019 the land has to be a separate upcharge, right? But how do you convey that to average guest? And that plan basically has to be in place by next month to put in restrictions on APs, doesn't it?
I mean, every pass Gold and below is already blocked out for this period of time. I doubt they'll block out the high tiered passes as there are fewer of them anyway. Maybe the pass above Gold I could see them blocking out, but that's it.

Disney doesn't "want" it to open during this period. This is when it's being rushed to open. They'd love to have it open in the Summer if they could, but it's just not possible with where construction is at.

I don't know about that. It seems we've known from the very beginning of the process that it was going to be open at Disneyland significantly earlier than Hollywood Studios. It was apparently specifically intended that the two lands NOT open together, so unless Disney had at one time hoped to have DL's land open by Christmas of 2018 (thereby maybe implying they were shooting for summer 2019 in Orlando), it looks like Hollywood Studios' is going to open exactly when they always wanted, more or less.

I don't know about that. It seems we've known from the very beginning of the process that it was going to be open at Disneyland significantly earlier than Hollywood Studios. It was apparently specifically intended that the two lands NOT open together, so unless Disney had at one time hoped to have DL's land open by Christmas of 2018 (thereby maybe implying they were shooting for summer 2019 in Orlando), it looks like Hollywood Studios is going to open exactly when they always wanted, more or less.
Yeah, Holiday 2018 was the projected date for years now, but that doesn't mean that they "wanted" it to be that time frame. Everyday that the land isn't open it's bad for the park from a business standpoint. We all know that Disney loves money.

Disney is losing out on 6+ months of money by this not opening until December, so no, they didn't WANT this to open in this time frame instead of summer. They only WANTED it open in this time frame because the alternative was that construction could fall into 2020.

I'm more interested in is how everyone is just assuming DHS hasn't increased attendance whatsoever based on Iger's comment. Has no one ever listened to company reports? Does no one trade in the market?

"Underperforming" or "Lagging" does not mean "loss". It could mean growing 1-3% instead of a projected 4%. It simply means, not hitting projections. Or, it means it is underperforming compared to it's peers (other parks). It could be a loss, but it doesn't mean it is.
Moreso, based on his phrasing, it does not sound like it is.

And we've aimed to actually grow the attendance to that park, which has lagged a bit over the last number of years