Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

That was supposedly part of the plan for the "walk around the world". They just got cheap and didn't want to build the drawbridge.
Yea, I noticed last month that a sidewalk with street lamps was added at some point all the way to where the canal connects to Seven Seas, and then just stops. So close.

Yea, I noticed last month that a sidewalk with street lamps was added at some point all the way to where the canal connects to Seven Seas, and then just stops. So close.
I used to occasionally talk to the guy that used to maintain the bricks. He always told me the program never ended up making as much money as they hoped. I suspect they saw this fairly early on and decided not to build the bridge which probably would’ve been the most expensive part.

Yes, they sold all those suckers (I mean fans) those blocks to build it, then never finished it because the bridge was too expensive even though it should have paid for itself with the people spending all that money on those blocks. Now the contractual period is just about over for all those blocks so they can start replacing them with regular pavement which requires a lot less maintenance. Those blocks are constantly having to be reset.

Back to the monorail discussion, I could see them removing the EPCOT monorail and replacing it with a gondola. The EPCOT beam is in worse condition than the MK beams (even though it's newer), and that would free up trains for extended rehabs. I believe that was the idea that was floated and then the public reaction was so negative the scrapped it in favor of eventually replacing the fleet sooner than they were anticipating.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was supposedly part of the plan for the "walk around the world". They just got cheap and didn't want to build the drawbridge.

You still can walk but you end up a little damp after. Really can't tell much difference though from normal Florida humidity.

Been lights and a very pretty path from the MK for a very long time or did you mean the GF side?

You still can walk but you end up a little damp after. Really can't tell much difference though from normal Florida humidity.

Been lights and a very pretty path from the MK for a very long time or did you mean the GF side?
MK side. I just never noticed it before. Was looking at it as the sun was setting from Resort Monorail queue.

MK side. I just never noticed it before. Was looking at it as the sun was setting from Resort Monorail queue.

I haven't been for at least 5 years but it was done then. I think the bricks pushed it but it is just a little sad now.
I don’t know exactly when it was built, but I believe it was late 90’s

Any time I ever worked the MK station I could always stand there and watch guests trying to walk to the GF only to come walking back about ten mints later.

I don’t know exactly when it was built, but I believe it was late 90’s

Any time I ever worked the MK station I could always stand there and watch guests trying to walk to the GF only to come walking back about ten mints later.
They had no adventure, what is a little swim for maybe 40 feet? Be there in no time (unless tick-tock had other ideas). Just a quick sprint to the GF and dry off or sit by the pool and blend in. Drinks either way.

They had no adventure, what is a little swim for maybe 40 feet? Be there in no time (unless tick-tock had other ideas). Just a quick sprint to the GF and dry off or sit by the pool and blend in. Drinks either way.
It’s probably been done a couple of times.

Kind of unrelated but this kid came up once to get on the monorail at the Contemporary soaking wet, claimed he jumped off the ferry and swam to the hotel. I didn’t believe him, but his friend had a camera and had video of it and showed me.

If Disney is as cheap as I think they are... they could just expand the tram route to run all the way next to the bus drop off area.

It's been done--don't remember when. but possibly after the fatal accident. Not very efficient, trams just not fast enough over that distance.

The old trams were specifically designed for it. I wonder if the new trams are even capable of making it through the water bridge.

It's been done--don't remember when. but possibly after the fatal accident. Not very efficient, trams just not fast enough over that distance.
Back in the 70s, the trams ran regularly from TTC to MK on busy days. The area to the right of the monorail was the old tram loading station. (Yeah, it backed up traffic but there wasn't as much back then). I remember waits of 45 minutes to 90 minutes in the mornings for monorails and ferry boats (2 of them).

There were also half as many guests coming each day!

So one of the things I had heard from someone associated with Imagineering is one of the reasons for not upgrading the monorail trains is a plan to eventually replace them with new transportation. Instead of trains, the same beams would run a bunch of pods, with switches along the beams so they could stop at or bypass each station depending on where the occupants were going. I happened to see a vehicle on display from Oceaneering today that reminded me of that concept:

46379421_2085099874881289_2292851609316622336_o.jpg

These could also be used by Universal to move guests between locations if they could be made to run on lanes down Kirkman Road.

Last edited:
There were also half as many guests coming each day!

So one of the things I had heard from someone associated with Imagineering is one of the reasons for not upgrading the monorail trains is a plan to eventually replace them with new transportation. Instead of trains, the same beams would run a bunch of pods, with switches along the beams so they could stop at or bypass each station depending on where the occupants were going. I happened to see a vehicle on display from Oceaneering today that reminded me of that concept:

46379421_2085099874881289_2292851609316622336_o.jpg

These could also be used by Universal to move guests between locations if they could be made to run on lanes down Kirkman Road.

It's a lousy way to do it as these 'pods' only seat one person.