Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Epcot (General Discussion)

Actually my feelings wouldn’t tell me they are too different. I wasn’t alive in the pre-character era at Epcot. My first visit was in ‘98, and I was 6. As far as I have ever known the park, it’s been one of the worst parks in Orlando with nothing all that special about it.

I know people loved it, but I could care less about the past. I’ll take what they’re doing now over the nothing they’ve been doing for decades any day of the week.

It amazing how only a 5-year difference in age and a couple of trips earlier in the 1990s can put us in such radically different positions about this park.

I mean, I literally will take any coaster. The Guardians coaster is almost certainly going to be my favorite in the park by a wide margin.

Here's an interesting thought experiment just for kicks: what would Guardians have to do (or not do) for you to be unimpressed with it, for any reason?

What if it's just a souped-up wild mouse in a big, dark box?

If you had to explain Epcot, how would you go about it - and what separates it from MK or DHS?

This is the million dollar question. I doubt Chapek or Iger could answer it.

Until Disney themselves are able to articulate it, they do not have the benefit of the doubt from me on anything they're planning for this park.

I’m sure Disney realizes this and are attempting to strike some balance.

Any "balance" I'm seeing (at this point) is purely on a superficial level. Bringing a more retro vibe back to the entrance plaza, for example, while nice, is purely cosmetic.

I know Retro Epcot died a long time ago, and have accepted it'll never be what it was, but if you're going to evolve the park - it still should have an underlying theme. Although not as directly as it used to be, USF is tied together with movies coming to life. IOA is tied very loosely with literary adventures. If you had to explain Epcot, how would you go about it - and what separates it from MK or DHS?
Only UOAP holders are going to be able to distinguish any conceivable theme at either parks besides just “Ride the Movies” resort-wide.

As for Epcot, I think you could still get away with the “Celebration of human achievement” line as much of the park still does focus on it. Maybe just flesh it out a bit.

As I said, I think the park is a mess, but I do think that the park could get away with a line like that still. It’s not what it was in 1982, but “human achievement” is broad so it could be taken many ways.

But honestly, I don’t think there is a definition.

by adding a mediocre trackless ride?

World showcase needs more countries...Future World needs better rides...

WS needs more rides ASAP. The rides that are there are lame at best, and there are only 2 of them. It's a wasteland back there unless you're looking to drink or shop.

Here's an interesting thought experiment just for kicks: what would Guardians have to do (or not do) for you to be unimpressed with it, for any reason?

What if it's just a souped-up wild mouse in a big, dark box?

If it turns out to be Dark Knight: The Ride from Six Flags, yea, I'd probably be disappointed.

Any "balance" I'm seeing (at this point) is purely on a superficial level. Bringing a more retro vibe back to the entrance plaza, for example, while nice, is purely cosmetic.

Right. All the nods to what Epcot was never amount to anything more than lipservice

My hope is that they are just getting the stuff people don’t really care about now so that we can get some Entrees at D23. Maybe wishful thinking, but I know there’s big things they could announce for the park.

I can’t respond to each person individually (too much on my plate at work) but it really comes down to how edutainment has changed from the 80’s, 90’s, 00’s, and now. The model for edutainment from old Epcot is seen to be too costly for the companies and too “cheesy” for modern audiences, museum-goers, and theme park guests. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m just saying that Disney is following the same trend that they did in the 1980s and 1990s just in a different capacity and yes, it sucks and yes this is cosmetic but at least it’s not nothing.

I’m happy with the new entrance. It seems lush and alive: two things the current entrance is not. It’s a nod to the vintage Epcot/World’s Fair, while staying timeless, which is something Future World has clearly struggled with.

Yeah, it’s a little nondescript, but that also means it will work with their many festivals, and whatever overhauls and thematic changes the park is about to undergo for the next decades.

I spend all of 12 seconds in that plaza. It should be pretty and easy to navigate. Check and check.

My thing with Epcot is don’t be two faced about it, pull the bandaid off, say they’re rededicating the park, new mission statement, etc. Don’t BS us with “original vision”. But yeah I agree with Sean and Brian are saying.
I agree, I’d like them to just be upfront about what their mission statement is, but I’m sure they won’t be because they love to try to pump that nostalgia somehow.

I would argue that the lack of rides in WS is what makes it unique. I would prefer more awesome shows and other cultural experiences personally.

I agree with those who want more (appropriate!) rides in World Showcase, but I also agree with you that keeping part of the focus on culturally-relevant stuff needs to remain a priority.

I think the shows that are in World Showcase (Reflections of China, The American Adventure, Impressions de France, and O Canada!) are absolutely wonderful, and adding another couple of rides would really flesh out the available activities around the lagoon.

I guess since the rides have always been so boring, I don't expect to ride much in World Showcase. I will definitely ride whatever they put out there, but it's not expected.

Future World needs a lot of love. Guardians will help...but Journey, Nemo, and Spaceship all need major overhauls.
I'd tear down mission space too, but I realize they are kind of stuck on that one.

Folks I’m assuming this just Phase 1 of the overhaul so all those things your asking for will hopefully come in due time. Disney knows that they need to update and even get rid of some things in the park.

I think the new entrance plaza will be great for the park. It's a little generic, but none of the other Disney parks have generic entrances. It'll liven up the graveyard that is currently Epcot's entrance. Seriously, Leave-a-Legacy looks like a graveyard designed for the Met Gala.

I'd like to see Epcot's mission statement revamped too. Epcot shouldn't be about teaching visitors about the world. The world moves way too fast and theme parks will never be able to keep their edutainment relevant.

I found it interesting that the monorail is so detailed, but the artist only made it five cars long instead of the six cars long the Mark VIs are. Strange choice.