TODAY Cafe | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

TODAY Cafe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
"Recession" wasn't the right word on my part. I was referring to when tourism tanked (2001-2008). Universal was lucky to get through that period without shuttering.
I worked at Universal when 9/11 happened. Tourism industry was hit hard, and I remember all the Team Members talking about how Universal was firing a lot of folks in higher positions. It was a scary time wondering who would lose their job or not. There were big cuts in entertainment and I remember general park upkeep really falling behind too.

I worked at Universal when 9/11 happened. Tourism industry was hit hard, and I remember all the Team Members talking about how Universal was firing a lot of folks in higher positions. It was a scary time wondering who would lose their job or not. There were big cuts in entertainment and I remember general park upkeep really falling behind too.
Strange times, just a week before my parents would go back to Orlando from Amsterdam when 9/11 happened. They just went, just like I did 3 weeks later (flew via Newark). Not sure if it is that in Europe we are more accustomed to terrorism or if we just don't want to get terrorized and refused to get scared.
But planes, airports and both WDW and Universal where quite empty during that time.

"Recession" wasn't the right word on my part. I was referring to when tourism tanked (2001-2008). Universal was lucky to get through that period without shuttering.

Not to sound disrespectfully flippant, but that's a you problem. Not a Universal problem.
A lot of people feel the same way I do regarding retro IPs, pop culture, and the way entertainment was executed back in the day. I really think that’s one of the reasons why HHN 28 did really well. Same with the Stranger Things franchise. And it also explains why NES and SNES mini sold out. And pinball is a lot more popular now too :) I just wish the management behind the parks, movies, tv shows, and music would understand the way we feel.

A lot of people feel the same way I do regarding retro IPs, pop culture, and the way entertainment was executed back in the day. I really think that’s one of the reasons why HHN 28 did really well. Same with the Stranger Things franchise. And it also explains why NES and SNES mini sold out. And pinball is a lot more popular now too :) I just wish the management behind the parks, movies, tv shows, and music would understand the way we feel.
"Retro" ALWAYS does well. The problem with retro is that it runs through the same cycle as everything else. In about 5 years, the 90s/grunge-era is going to be the new hotness (look at fashion - which tends to drive it - and you'll see it coming). "Retro" exists because creators use their childhoods for inspiration. Stranger Things takes place in the 80s because the Duffers grew up in/influenced by the 80s. Future creators will use their appropriate decades.

HHN did well because of Stranger Things. No one said, "Oh, look, VHS. We should go this year." There was no "80s theme;" just a limited 80s aesthetic that had no impact on the event overall. Because none of the actual marketing (billboards/commercials) carried that aesthetic. It was a popular IP.

The NES console initially sold out because Nintendo intentionally limits quantities. Once they re-released it, it sold out much less frequently. Both were popular because they were the only way for a wide swath of gamers to access all-time classic games (Zeldas, Marios, Earthbound). It wasn't because it was retro. They could have released the same games in a Coke can and it would have sold well.

The issue with retro properties in entertainment, however, is they age out exponentially. They're not "new" properties. Once the initial "oh, this is fun" wears off, you're left with 30 year old property instead of a three year old property. That's actually why MOST rebooted/revived stuff from the 80s/90s is either widely different or a miserable failure.

People like to tout Stranger Things as a "retro success." But it's not. It's a new property, telling a story that could work in any time period. Putting it in the 80s is the hook.

Last edited:
I just wish the management behind the parks, movies, tv shows, and music would understand the way we feel.

This isn't really the appropriate thread for this (don't we have a "Should the parks be more nostalgic?" thread?), but I agree with you to the extent that it often feels like Universal Orlando (particularly Universal Studios Florida) actively runs away from its past in order to push the "new hotness," rather than find a balance between celebrating the history and keeping the attractions lineup fresh.

But at the same time, they're on the verge of building a land in their next theme park based on their oldest franchise, one which will be 90+ years old by the time the park opens. So (assuming that comes to pass) that's a positive development in the way the company views "old" IP.

You can't say HHN was a success due to Stranger Things and see that as proof that the old days should be marketed. HHN is always a success (helped Universal Studios Orlando troughs the dark ages) and last year the hit was American Horror Story. NES and SNES mini sold well, the PSone, C64 didn't. Even Disney who was the king in selling nostalgia is (now they are building rides again) only on new ip's or new movies. And I'm a sucker for pinball but besides some small clubs I don't see them like back in the day, just like vinyl records and tapes. Even capitalizing on the death of Michael Jackson by Disney who re-introduced Captain EO as a "tribute" was short lived because people lost interest. Universals previous nighttime show was all about nostalgia and didn't keep people in the park.

Sure if you stay living in the past you are going to be left behind. Trust me, I couldn't care less about the new Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers or Avatar movies but I still can enjoy the new rides. I couldn't care less about the current popular music but there are still new performers I like but theme parks will always go after the biggest general taste not what you, or I or "people you know" like.

Reactions: truejonas
....so, how about that Today Cafe; huh?

tenor.gif

You can't say HHN was a success due to Stranger Things and see that as proof that the old days should be marketed. HHN is always a success (helped Universal Studios Orlando troughs the dark ages) and last year the hit was American Horror Story. NES and SNES mini sold well, the PSone, C64 didn't. Even Disney who was the king in selling nostalgia is (now they are building rides again) only on new ip's or new movies. And I'm a sucker for pinball but besides some small clubs I don't see them like back in the day, just like vinyl records and tapes. Even capitalizing on the death of Michael Jackson by Disney who re-introduced Captain EO as a "tribute" was short lived because people lost interest. Universals previous nighttime show was all about nostalgia and didn't keep people in the park.

Sure if you stay living in the past you are going to be left behind. Trust me, I couldn't care less about the new Marvel, Star Wars, Transformers or Avatar movies but I still can enjoy the new rides. I couldn't care less about the current popular music but there are still new performers I like but theme parks will always go after the biggest general taste not what you, or I or "people you know" like.
Are you sure about the pinball aspect? ;) More and More places dedicated to pinball are opening in places that don’t have pinball. :)

I don’t want to be left behind, but I don’t want to be talked down upon while watching a movie or experiencing a themed attraction (F&F) etc..

I was referring to nostalgia and retro horror in general when talking about HHN 28, not just Stranger Things. But I do believe that retro pop culture behind it helped sell merch :) When I went both times there were a lot of people wearing retro inspired tees and attire. :)
Let me also you this, would you prefer a character in a horror movie make dumb decisions?

I’m looking forward to the newer themed attractions opening. ALL of them :D The thing is, you could have a great IP but ultimately the experience is all that matters (again, F&F).

They absolutely are not. They all have some sort of lifespan, it's just a matter of whether or not the parks decide to maintain/update the attractions. Disaster was allegedly falling apart before it was replaced.
Explain Diagon Alley, Cinderella’s Castle, Main Street U.S.A, Haunted Mansion, Disneyland’s Pirates, etc.
"Retro" ALWAYS does well. The problem with retro is that it runs through the same cycle as everything else. In about 5 years, the 90s/grunge-era is going to be the new hotness (look at fashion - which tends to drive it - and you'll see it coming). "Retro" exists because creators use their childhoods for inspiration. Stranger Things takes place in the 80s because the Duffers grew up in/influenced by the 80s. Future creators will use their appropriate decades.

HHN did well because of Stranger Things. No one said, "Oh, look, VHS. We should go this year." There was no "80s theme;" just a limited 80s aesthetic that had no impact on the event overall. Because none of the actual marketing (billboards/commercials) carried that aesthetic. It was a popular IP.

The NES console initially sold out because Nintendo intentionally limits quantities. Once they re-released it, it sold out much less frequently. Both were popular because they were the only way for a wide swath of gamers to access all-time classic games (Zeldas, Marios, Earthbound). It wasn't because it was retro. They could have released the same games in a Coke can and it would have sold well.

The issue with retro properties in entertainment, however, is they age out exponentially. They're not "new" properties. Once the initial "oh, this is fun" wears off, you're left with 30 year old property instead of a three year old property. That's actually why MOST rebooted/revived stuff from the 80s/90s is either widely different or a miserable failure.

People like to tout Stranger Things as a "retro success." But it's not. It's a new property, telling a story that could work in any time period. Putting it in the 80s is the hook.
Exactly, and MIB is a 90’s movie, so at some point people will want more.... :)

Not related to your reply, but, I get depressed that I wasn’t able to experience the world at a certain time. Maybe I need to create a separate thread to discuss it, because it really bothers me and I get depressed about it quite often. I will say this about it: I was born in the late 90’s (1998) but I wasn’t a 90’s kid; I wasn’t old enough to experience that decade or the 80s! :thud:

Reactions: therock
Explain Diagon Alley, Cinderella’s Castle, Main Street U.S.A, Haunted Mansion, Disneyland’s Pirates, etc.
Diagon Alley hasn’t been open five years. Cinderella’s Castle/Main Street are building that don’t contain moving parts. Haunted Mansion is low-impact ride with basic effects that saw high-quality maintenance for 40 years. Pirates is a similarly low-impact attraction that has seen a wealth of changes over the last fifteen years.
Exactly, and MIB is a 90’s movie, so at some point people will want more.... :)
Let’s see if MiB: International is well-received before before being confident people “want more.”

Not related to your reply, but, I get depressed that I wasn’t able to experience the world at a certain time. Maybe I need to create a separate thread to discuss it, because it really bothers me and I get depressed about it quite often. I will say this about it: I was born in the late 90’s (1998) but I wasn’t a 90’s kid; I wasn’t old enough to experience that decade or the 80s! :thud:
And, again, this is a you problem. I’ll also say that being legitimately depressed about “not experiencing” a decade, I think, idealizes the past in an unhealthy way. The 80s/90s had no internet, cell phones, or immediate connection to anyone beyond a bike ride’s distance. Restaurants were filled with cigarette smoke. Educators spanking students were common. Homosexuality as something that even existed wasn’t generally acknowledged and transgender was unheard of. We didn’t have power steering, digital music, Adele, etc.

I’m not a fan of the current timeline, but nostalgia for the actual past pretends that every change that was legitimately for the better never occurred.

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually had avocado toast? Or is this something that the internet just ran with? I don't know a single person who's had it, and I would be the "market demo".

Reactions: CTank
Yea I have avocado toast a lot maybe too much. I make it at home and its popular in the food truck scene here in Austin, Tx.

It is basically guacamole (hopefully with some lime cilantro and salt) on top of bread, but in Austin with the breakfast taco influence they put home potatoes, eggs, or even carne asada on top.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, has anyone actually had avocado toast? Or is this something that the internet just ran with? I don't know a single person who's had it, and I would be the "market demo".
I love it. I make mine with Toast, Olive Oil, Avacado, Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, and Bacon Bits. It's amazing.

Reactions: Mad Dog