Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 134 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Three freaking dollars‽‽‽ Seems to defeat the whole dang point of these things.
They don't have long battery life either. The only reason it's worth getting one of these at WDW is because the swaps are free for a fully charged one.

Either way, you can buy a portable charger on Amazon with much longer battery life for less money than these cost in-park and not have to ever worry about getting to the point of a low charge. The battery on others is made for long days unlike FuelRod, where it seems they are made for the purpose of these vending machines existing.

To be fair, Disney is the only place now that doesn't charge for the swap.
I get that the intent was always to charge for swaps, it's just too high and the initial purchase is too high too. Heck the reason the swaps are needed is because how low capacity they are. IMHO $16.99 with dollar swaps should be the we got you stuck in a themepark price, outside of the parks it should be much less.

I have never needed to swap mine yet. I charge it at home. When my phone dies at the park I plug it into the rod and it pretty much gives me a full charge and I’m good the rest of the day. So far it’s been very helpful, and I wouldn’t mind paying a couple bucks if I really needed another charge one day, but hasn’t come up yet.

I have never needed to swap mine yet. I charge it at home. When my phone dies at the park I plug it into the rod and it pretty much gives me a full charge and I’m good the rest of the day. So far it’s been very helpful, and I wouldn’t mind paying a couple bucks if I really needed another charge one day, but hasn’t come up yet.

The first day of food and wine last year, I went to swap mine, and there were about seven in the drop slot. I walked away three fuel rods richer and very happy. :)

Reactions: JoeCamel and Alicia
Sounds like all the blinkys outside finns last hhn
My takeaway is that these dopes were paying thirty bucks a throw and thought it was disposable.

For my part, I use fuel rods religiously in the Disney parks, but live close enough to Universal that I usually wouldn't need to swap, but in a pinch, say at HHN, I'd suck it up and pay the three bones, since the emergency chargers they sell at piq don't fit USB C.

Reactions: truejonas
My takeaway is that these dopes were paying thirty bucks a throw and thought it was disposable.

For my part, I use fuel rods religiously in the Disney parks, but live close enough to Universal that I usually wouldn't need to swap, but in a pinch, say at HHN, I'd suck it up and pay the three bones, since the emergency chargers they sell at piq don't fit USB C.
I carry an Anker 13000 mAh. It is heavy but I don't ever run out of power for a few days. It is said that thing can fully charge a Macbook air.

Reactions: universal_fanatic
I carry an Anker 13000 mAh. It is heavy but I don't ever run out of power for a few days. It is said that thing can fully charge a Macbook air.
Yeah, those things are cool. I prefer the rod though. My usual park pack is that small Pandora sling with the Ultimate Warrior tassels, and I don't even carry that even I can avoid it. Phone, rod, charge cable, keys, wallet all fit in one pocket with no discomfort.

You aren't a family of 4 or 5 though. If this had to be used among that many different people, the battery would die quickly. The battery on FuelRod's is great if it's just one or two people, but anything more and you've fallen right into their trap.

You aren't a family of 4 or 5 though. If this had to be used among that many different people, the battery would die quickly. The battery on FuelRod's is great if it's just one or two people, but anything more and you've fallen right into their trap.
I’d have to have 1 per phone. It’s only got enough juice to recharge 1 per use.

Fuel rods are definitely one per person.

Reactions: Nick