Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

Okay so...salt could refer to salt water or really anything heavy on salt. I'd love another nautical house since I just love nautical themed things. I know all you die hard fans will say "we already got that" but let a guy dream, dangit!

For Onyx and Cotton...? I'm a lot let sure. When looking up Onyx, we can see that it was used heavily in ancient Egypt, so maybe that? It was also used by the Ancient Greeks and Romans. The Romans might have attributed some forms of Onyx to Mars, the Roman version of Aries (if I'm not mistaken). It was believed to bestow courage on the warriors!

You asked...

Because war isn't entertainment. It's not "fun." And in physically presenting it as a walk-through attraction, Universal dismissed and trivialized the actual gravity and horror of it. Using war as a real-life "experience," that you're walking through at a theme park, is a tasteless and insensitive decision. Leveraging scenes of war wounded, literally having war nurses taking advantage of those already knocking on death's door because of war it's, is mortifying. They turned war into a "setting," when war is a blood-thirsty behemoth that should never be trifled with.

And I've heard the arguments, comparing movies and video games as entertainment mediums to haunted houses, and they're incorrect. When I watch a movie or a play a video game, the experience doesn't extend beyond the edges of a screen. When I walk into a haunted house, I'm immersed in a setting. We can argue suspension of disbelief, but it doesn't change the principle that Universal turned an ACTUAL war into an attraction that made people jump and laugh and squeal with delight. People who dismissed the crassness of "the WW1 house" because "war isn't like that anymore" are dismissing what war itself is. What experiencing war is. The methods in which wars are fought has changed, but the oppressive terror of it never will. Throwing cut-rate banshees into the trenches implies that war itself, isn't enough.

Never mind how the house affected individuals with combat-related PTSD.

If Universal did a "school shooting" house, people would be tearing them apart. It's the same principle. It's trivializing true horror. I hated the house. Hated the idea and the mere existence of the house. The fact that it was presented less than 12 months after the final WW1 veteran died still horrifies me, and tainted my view of A&D (and Universal) as entities. Part of me hates every single person who thought it was okay to do that. Because war isn't "fun."

I 100% respect your opinion and for your courage to express your honest opinion on the subject! A lot of things I never personally thought of. When I thought of the "WW1 Trench Warfare house" I personally liked the idea of it for showing the horrors of war. Every day men and women across the country forget all the men and women who have gone through these living nightmares for our freedom. While I see your point about war should not be used for "Enjoyment" I think many people have also never imagined how terrifying war would be with or without the nightingales in general. I know a few people that had the opportunity to experience the house and they said it was a very intense chaotic house with or without the monsters. The house itself when I heard it announced made me do extensive research about trench warfare and WW1 in general. I think it was an informative visual realization of the hell that war truly is while keeping in a haunted house fashion.

Different things trigger people differently. The one thing I’ve never understood is the people who react with violence when getting startled. If your instant reaction is to punch somebody when they make you jump then why go to HHN? the poor scare actors deal with that crap more than people think.

Different things trigger people differently. The one thing I’ve never understood is the people who react with violence when getting startled. If your instant reaction is to punch somebody when they make you jump then why go to HHN? the poor scare actors deal with that crap more than people think.
Some people do it genuinely by accident. Some people use it as an excuse. As an actor, you can tell when it’s which.

You asked...

Because war isn't entertainment. It's not "fun." And in physically presenting it as a walk-through attraction, Universal dismissed and trivialized the actual gravity and horror of it. Using war as a real-life "experience," that you're walking through at a theme park, is a tasteless and insensitive decision. Leveraging scenes of war wounded, literally having war nurses taking advantage of those already knocking on death's door because of war it's, is mortifying. They turned war into a "setting," when war is a blood-thirsty behemoth that should never be trifled with.

And I've heard the arguments, comparing movies and video games as entertainment mediums to haunted houses, and they're incorrect. When I watch a movie or a play a video game, the experience doesn't extend beyond the edges of a screen. When I walk into a haunted house, I'm immersed in a setting. We can argue suspension of disbelief, but it doesn't change the principle that Universal turned an ACTUAL war into an attraction that made people jump and laugh and squeal with delight. People who dismissed the crassness of "the WW1 house" because "war isn't like that anymore" are dismissing what war itself is. What experiencing war is. The methods in which wars are fought has changed, but the oppressive terror of it never will. Throwing cut-rate banshees into the trenches implies that war itself, isn't enough.

Never mind how the house affected individuals with combat-related PTSD.

If Universal did a "school shooting" house, people would be tearing them apart. It's the same principle. It's trivializing true horror. I hated the house. Hated the idea and the mere existence of the house. The fact that it was presented less than 12 months after the final WW1 veteran died still horrifies me, and tainted my view of A&D (and Universal) as entities. Part of me hates every single person who thought it was okay to do that. Because war isn't "fun."

Glad I asked. I assumed your opposition to the house was founded on ideas along those lines. I definitely see your point. Where do you think would be the appropriate place to draw the line between content that’s acceptable to use in a haunt and content that’s “too real” - for lack of a better phrase - to use in a haunt?

Okay so...salt could refer to salt water or really anything heavy on salt. I'd love another nautical house since I just love nautical themed things. I know all you die hard fans will say "we already got that" but let a guy dream, dangit!

To add a layer of confusion to this, the Roman legions were allegedly sometimes paid in salt. Pit could be something else entirely...

How could it not be? Hill house has sleep paralysis as one of the Google auto completes...
I personally meant hill house is to new to be at the event this year. Wow the show is popular and all I feel like it takes creative years to be able to get the rights to do these type of IP. Look at how long it took us to get AHS

That ain’t exactly a tried and true way of identifying clues.

No but my point was there is some kind of big sleep paralysis angle in the show. It's a big deal. Which is why it is an autocomplete.

There are even writers writing articles about the medical aspects of sleep paralysis, using hill house as a lead in.

Communication was crappy and quick, I'll give you that, but this is the point was trying to make.

No but my point was there is some kind of big sleep paralysis angle in the show. It's a big deal. Which is why it is an autocomplete.

There are even writers writing articles about the medical aspects of sleep paralysis, using hill house as a lead in.

Communication was crappy and quick, I'll give you that, but this is the point was trying to make.

You have a very good point! also its prob not likely but with the whole WB thing i would love to see NOES this year!