Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

I mean I get that as well, but if you have a lot of employees in one area saying their legs are going numb, you might want to look into it and shut the area down rather than make them continue to work through it all day.

That’s more what my point was.

I get that but how do you shut the area down if you can't leave your post?

Without reading all the reports, did the lifeguards actually report it to management?

Poor management or poor communication to management. Either way, people need to be fired. This could've been a lot worse.

plus really really bad publicity. Yes, definitely, mgt. people that knew should be held responsible in some manner. I've never been one to feel like it's proper to fire someone with a good employee background over one incident, but suspensions are probably warranted for those mgt. who knew but did nothing.
About management.... For all we know the ground communication could’ve been great. Tm’s could’ve reported to leads and leads reported to Team Captains/Supervisors and so on. That’s general protocol for incidents like this.

Here’s the issue: The Team Captains and supervisors work all the way in a cozy office building behind the expansion plot and don’t leave much of the time. They were the ones who need to be held accountable the most. I can easily see them hearing the call come in and just blow it off as another complaining guest and not taking action quickly at all.

They supposedly told their supervisors between their posts and still nothing was done.
...And there it is.

The following statement was issued by a spokesperson for Universal (statement to WESH):

"We know there are questions about the issues we've recently faced at Volcano Bay and we want to answer those questions. Here is what happened.

On Sunday, several guests began to tell us they felt "shocks" or other similar sensations while in the park. Some of our lifeguards also told us they felt something.

Here is what we did.

First, we began to care for our guests and team members. Our medical staff asked each guest if they wanted to go to the hospital. All said no. A small number of our lifeguards asked to go to the hospital. Fortunately, they were quickly released and are fine.

It took us some time to understand exactly where these shocks were occurring. As we identified specific areas, we quickly closed rides and other parts of those areas. We eventually closed the entire park out of an abundance of caution.

Our public statement used the phrase, "technical issues." We wanted to fully understand what was happening and to what degree -- and then to fix it. We have worked with OUC, outside electrical contractors and our own experts -- and we now know the problem is specifically electrical. We have spent the hours and days since Sunday testing and re-testing our electrical system across the entire park. And we have made repairs and modifications to our electrical system. We believe this has resolved the issue.

Some attractions within Volcano Bay remain closed while we continue testing -- just to make sure everything is ok. We'll open them as soon as we can.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been on site today. We want the same thing they do -- which is to make sure everyone is safe. And so we are working closely with them.

We know it is disturbing to feel any level of shock in a water park. We definitely understand and want you to know that the safety -- and trust -- of our guests and team members is vital to us.

Everything we do is motivated by their safety. And that was the case on Sunday.

We believe this problem is resolved and that our park is safe.

Thank you."

The following statement was issued by a spokesperson for Universal (statement to WESH):

"We know there are questions about the issues we've recently faced at Volcano Bay and we want to answer those questions. Here is what happened.

On Sunday, several guests began to tell us they felt "shocks" or other similar sensations while in the park. Some of our lifeguards also told us they felt something.

Here is what we did.

First, we began to care for our guests and team members. Our medical staff asked each guest if they wanted to go to the hospital. All said no. A small number of our lifeguards asked to go to the hospital. Fortunately, they were quickly released and are fine.

It took us some time to understand exactly where these shocks were occurring. As we identified specific areas, we quickly closed rides and other parts of those areas. We eventually closed the entire park out of an abundance of caution.

Our public statement used the phrase, "technical issues." We wanted to fully understand what was happening and to what degree -- and then to fix it. We have worked with OUC, outside electrical contractors and our own experts -- and we now know the problem is specifically electrical. We have spent the hours and days since Sunday testing and re-testing our electrical system across the entire park. And we have made repairs and modifications to our electrical system. We believe this has resolved the issue.

Some attractions within Volcano Bay remain closed while we continue testing -- just to make sure everything is ok. We'll open them as soon as we can.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration has been on site today. We want the same thing they do -- which is to make sure everyone is safe. And so we are working closely with them.

We know it is disturbing to feel any level of shock in a water park. We definitely understand and want you to know that the safety -- and trust -- of our guests and team members is vital to us.

Everything we do is motivated by their safety. And that was the case on Sunday.

We believe this problem is resolved and that our park is safe.

Thank you."
I believe you can close off an area where the shocks were reported AT THE SAME TIME as you care for those affected, but hey, that's just me.

Here is what we did.

I believe you can close off an area where the shocks were reported AT THE SAME TIME as you care for those affected, but hey, that's just me.

Here is what we did.

Yeah that wording was not great...they better know...I imagine this area will be remained closed for a bit longer

Overall, I would say there was a communication break down across the entire management spectrum

I'm glad nobody was seriously hurt

"Some attractions within Volcano Bay remain closed while we continue testing -- just to make sure everything is ok. We'll open them as soon as we can."

Do we know what is still closed? I was planning on going this weekend.