2016 SeaWorld's New Coaster Speculation | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

2016 SeaWorld's New Coaster Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love reading this thread. All the speculation is half the fun. :p Anticipation is the rest. ;) Can't wait to start seeing pics of construction.

As for who is making it, though it's not been confirmed anywhere (I don't think?), I'm leaning towards B&M. There's the history Sea World already has with them, but also the fact that SW needs this coaster done fast, right, and on-schedule, and B&M has proven before that they can deliver that. There's a lot going on in the other parks and recreational areas of I-Drive for '16 and Sea World has this one shot to get in on it quickly. If they miss the boat on this one, timing-wise, it would be a bad deal. Better to go tried-and-true right now, roll it out, get the attendance levels up, and then think about something more inventive with a different company later on.

Even if the coaster has next to no theming now, that's not the say SW can't eventually theme it up a bit more when they refurb the Shark Encounter, bringing the area around the coaster entrance closer to Manta-style theming? Even if they don't, there's nothing wrong with a lightly themed but awesome coaster. It will definitely draw people in. We'll be in Orlando a couple of times in 2016 if I have my way, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on opening dates so I can plan a trip to ride this. :p

I don't know how this one slipped under my radar but I'm crazy excited at the prospect of a B&M hyper in Orlando! To have this and Manta in the same park would have exactly the desired effect on me - turning the park from a 'maybe' during each trip to a definite must-do.

Weirdly, this would probably end up being my most conveniently-located B&M hyper, if that is what it is - although there's one in Spain and one in Germany they're both a pain to get to! I'd much rather do the 4,000 mile flight then just hop a few minutes down I4 :lol: Shambhala is an incredible ride though...

Ever hear of a 174 ft. B&M hyper coaster. La Ronde has one and maybe SeaWorld will follow suit.
920977579_e1cd8aa7f3_z.jpg

So small. Much air time!

Last edited:
Cant help feel a little disappointed in the height, would have loved another 100ft, at least. 200ft these days is a little lame really.

But a new coaster is a new coaster none the less and I look forward to seeing how this pans out.

Air time is big for me...as long as there is plenty of that it should be fun...Lightning Run is full of it apparently..and it's under 200'

Wouldn't mind seeing something like Bizarro either...a lot of people consider it the best coaster in the world, 208'; 77mph; Intamin

[video=youtube;shR5kucghcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shR5kucghcY[/video]

Last edited:
Ever hear of a 174 ft. B&M hyper coaster. La Ronde has one and maybe SeaWorld will follow suit.

Goliath at La Ronde is NOT a hyper coaster.

Just so we're clear, the industry definition of a Hyper Coaster (also loosely called a megacoaster by Intamin) is any continuous-circuit rollercoaster with a height or drop measuring 200-299 feet. From there, it is generally narrowed down further to include a traditional lift hill (no launch), and a non-inverting course as well.

People incorrectly refer to the Steel Eel at Sea World Texas as a "hypercoaster", which at 150 for height and drop isn't a hyper. The same goes for Goliath at Walibi Holland (153.7 feet), Hollywood Dream: The Ride at USJ (144.3 feet), or Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom (100 feet). Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia (200 feet) just barely squeaks in because of its height...though its drop is only 170 feet (dropping down over a building). SkyRush at Hersheypark is the same way (200 feet). Phantom's Revenge at Kennywood is a hyper because while it's only 160 feet tall, its second (BIG) drop is 226 feet!

An FYI to you all from a roller coaster snob. :wave:

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Heh, shows how much attention I pay to the San Antonio SW park, I thought Steel Eel was a true hyper. Off to RCDB to check the lengths of that vs. Wild Thing and Steel Force.

Wild Thing is 57' taller and almost 2000' longer than Steel Eel. Same goes with Steel Force, Mamba and the Morgan "Superman" hyper at Six Flags New Mexico. :smiley:

A sub-hyper doesn't mean the ride won't kick ass though. I can tell you probably 10 "hyper-type" coasters under 200 feet that are amazing rides in terms of air time...and Steel Eel was a blast too!

Last edited:
Wild Thing is 57' taller and almost 2000' longer than Steel Eel. Same goes with Steel Force, Mamba and the Morgan "Superman" hyper at Six Flags New Mexico. :smiley:

A sub-hyper doesn't mean the ride won't kick ass though. I can tell you probably 10 "hyper-type" coasters under 200 feet that are amazing rides in terms of air time...and Steel Eel was a blast too!
Yes, and there are some 200' coasters with little to know air time...so it really depends on the design

Being an extreme coaster enthusiast in the Orlando area, I am absolutely THRILLED about this announcement! I've been wanting a B&M Hypercoaster/Megacoaster in Florida for years. Having ridden a ton of these things, I have to say height shouldn't really matter as much as design. As long as the ride produces lots of airtime, I don't think people will really care about how tall the ride was once they've ridden it. And since most Florida theme park frequenters probably will not be familiar with air-time machines, the more airtime the ride provides, the better. With this ride, you'd have 3 world-class B&M coasters at SeaWorld that provide completely different experiences. Definitely a win for the park, and even more of a win for season pass holders like myself. I'll finally have a hyper/mega right in my backyard that I can chain-ride whenever I want!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.