Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2019 Hurricane Thread

and....this is why I cut traveling through southeastern states on the way to Sept./Oct. Orlando vacations from my itinerary. Just too much travel hassle. The last four years have been brutal trying to drive through NC, SC, Georgia & Florida.

and....this is why I cut traveling through southeastern states on the way to Sept./Oct. Orlando vacations from my itinerary.

I'm actually opposite. Being stranded at Disney during Irma was quite possibly my favorite Orlando trip ever.

Prices are less, etc. It was actually the exact same amount of points to fly MCO-FLL-NAS, NAS-DAL as it was to fly MCO-DAL. ~$40/person difference in fees and that's it. I had 4 free nights at Atlantis I was actually just going to let die, but with the flight costs being so cheap at that point, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

My advice: As a tourist, you need to have trip delay and interruption insurance during hurricane season.
Whether it's through a CC or whether you buy it outright; having insurance in Sept/Oct is a necessity.
I'm first hand proof of it. Received $2,000 for my Irma portion and I used every bit of it; but got to stay at the contemporary, eat good food, etc.
Had a mechanical delay coming back from a Universal trip earlier this year and spent the night at the Floridian, drinks by the pool, and eating at Narcossee's (which sucked, for the record).

Last edited:
I'm actually opposite. Being stranded at Disney during Irma was quite possibly my favorite Orlando trip ever.

Prices are less, etc. It was actually the exact same amount of points to fly MCO-FLL-NAS, NAS-DAL as it was to fly MCO-DAL. ~$40/person difference in fees and that's it. I had 4 free nights at Atlantis I was actually just going to let die, but with the flight costs being so cheap at that point, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

My advice: As a tourist, you need to have trip delay and interruption insurance during hurricane season.
Whether it's through a CC or whether you buy it outright; having insurance in Sept/Oct is a necessity.
I'm first hand proof of it. Received $2,000 for my Irma portion and I used every bit of it; but got to stay at the contemporary, eat good food, etc.
Had a mechanical delay coming back from a Universal trip earlier this year and spent the night at the Floridian, drinks by the pool, and eating at Narcossee's (which sucked, for the record).
It's not so much Orlando, it's more trying to travel when all the major highways shut down and flood through NC, SC, Georgia & Jacksonville area. It's a long drive from Pittsburgh. And plane flights being cancelled negate the air travel alternative too. Not worth the hassle. I already went through that 'almost impossible drive' three years in a row. As the Raven cried "Nevermore. Nevermore"...and because of that I stumbled into a new alternative for the second vacation of the year, namely Universal/Disney Holiday time. After last year it's become our favorite vacation time. Weather is comfortable in the parks, cooler and rarely any rain, and there's so much more to do.

Last edited:
Galaxy's Edge and lots of rides on Hagrids on Saturday if it comes this way Sunday. Panic if it suddenly explodes in the Bahamas before landfall.

How many big storms normally hit Florida each year on average? Or can it vary drastically year to year?

Major hurricanes are very rare for Florida. An occasional Cat 1, and we do get a tropical depression or tropical storm a lot more frequently, but those are just bad weather days to Floridians.

What sort of an impact do those have? Depressions and storms I mean. Grounded flights and the like?

What sort of an impact do those have? Depressions and storms I mean. Grounded flights and the like?
Flooding in lower areas. Grounded/cancelled flights. Literally tons of rain. Higher than normal winds.

Rarely, electrical and cable might go out for a short time. They almost never effect anything major like sewage or clean water.

It depends. The most common is a lot of rain like @WAJAS98 stated. Each storm is different, though. Some are huge wet masses, and some are small areas of convection that just brings some wind bursts. Depressions and lower-tier Trop Storm don't impact a lot of day-to-day stuff. When it starts getting closer to Cat 1 Hurricane is when some things may get changed.

It depends. The most common is a lot of rain like @WAJAS98 stated. Each storm is different, though. Some are huge wet masses, and some are small areas of convection that just brings some wind bursts. Depressions and lower-tier Trop Storm don't impact a lot of day-to-day stuff. When it starts getting closer to Cat 1 Hurricane is when some things may get changed.

I’ve stayed opened through depression and TS normally it’s just rough rain but like you said a regular day.

i try to buy supplies as I go through the summer. just gotta make sure my liquor cabinet is fully stocked.

It also really matters a lot about what the weather has been like before it. If we have had a long rainy patch where it had previously been a long dry spell, even a minor storm can cause some big issues with trees falling over. When we got hit by the 3 storms back in 2004, Charley was really the one that hurt us the most. The other 2 storms weren't nearly as bad as Charley was for us in Orlando, but because we were already in bad shape they were amplified.

Like everyone else is saying, Tropical Depressions and Tropical Storms are not terribly different than some of the bad storms that can crop up on an average day

I'm trying to stay positive and wait. But our special Labor Day weekend/wedding anniversary is looking very iffy.:(