Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2nd USH Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if instead of two small parks they chose to make it one giant park and connect them via hogwarts express (or something similar?)

I'd love that, but it's probably not going to generate the kind of income they would need, and would get from 2-park hopper tickets?

I think we are too far off to have realistic ideas about what could be in the park, and so much can change in the next 6/7 years. There could be another Universal mega franchise that would be a perfect fit for a theme park land.

That said, I'd love Universal Hollywood Resort (!!! ;)) as a whole to get more Potter/Beasts, LOTR, Classic Monsters and some Dreamworks Animation (Not Trolls)

Last edited:
I would love a Second gate...More Potter and More Nintendo lands would be so great...but unless they get the Golf Course...I just dont see it happening

I would love a Second gate...More Potter and More Nintendo lands would be so great...but unless they get the Golf Course...I just dont see it happening

They're never getting the golf course. It's actually extremely possible. We just have to accept that it wouldn't be a gigantic park (like IOA or EU) but something closer to the scale of Singapore and would likely have to have an upper and lower section like USH.

Last edited:
If they do a 2nd gate (ya know, around 2028) and its around Singapore's size, I think that leaves you with a few options:

Paris: Fantastic Beasts. Unlikely to do Diagon because I'm not sure there'd be a place for the Hogwarts Express, to me that feels necessary. So bring FB instead with both E tickets, whatever they end up being.

Pokemon: Bring Pokemon here, its whatever Japan and Orlando get.

Hyrule: Have the original Hyrule go here with a high action packed boat ride (similar to the potential raft ride from LOTR that UOR may get) and the rumored multi room/moving theatre show.

Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness: Bring over the land from China. Indoors and not gigantic so it could work. Only version to be in the USA as well. This, or a mini land of another franchise that may premiere between now and 2028.

Idk, I feel this park could sell as long as the reception to Fantastic Beasts is close to the same of the 2 Wizarding Worlds. Just spitballing here though, while trying to be realistic. Having the only Hyrule would be a major sell as well.

They're never getting the golf course. It's actually extremely possible. We just have to accept that it wouldn't be a gigantic park (like IOA or EU) but something closer to the scale of Singapore and would likely have to have an upper and lower section like USH.
I'd love to argue with anyone (not saying you, meaning who ever would fight for the gold course) willing to defend some none famous gold course vs a new theme park. The amount of jobs just from the construction alone would be worth it for the city over a Golf course.

I was looking at the land the other night and it just looks perfect for a second game. Man If it got a Potter land and Pokemon land that alone would make it worth it, but I agree its doubtful it will happen....for really no reason other then some old guys will get upset and the city counsel isn't smart enough to see how much money a second park could bring in.

I'd love to argue with anyone (not saying you, meaning who ever would fight for the gold course) willing to defend some none famous gold course vs a new theme park. The amount of jobs just from the construction alone would be worth it for the city over a Golf course.

I was looking at the land the other night and it just looks perfect for a second game. Man If it got a Potter land and Pokemon land that alone would make it worth it, but I agree its doubtful it will happen....for really no reason other then some old guys will get upset and the city counsel isn't smart enough to see how much money a second park could bring in.

I'd love it to happen but...
  1. I'm pretty sure the zoning of the Golf Course would prevent it being built on.
  2. It is surrounded on 3 sides by residential so they wouldn't be able to build a park there anyway, unless it was all indoors.
  3. They already have enough space for a 2nd park on their existing land.
IF they ever did get the golf course (however unlikely) I'd imagine they would move more studio and support facilities over there to allow space for theme park growth on their existing land.

When fans bring up the "simple" solution of taking over the Lakeside Golf Club, they usually do not know the facts. Zoning Laws are just that. Thery cannot be changed without a majority vote. Universal is not going to acquire that land unless it benefits Universal. Plus, once Universal were to own it, they are restricted on what they can do with it. This will never happen. Universal is an Unincorporated City of Los Angeles County. They have their own rules on what can and cannot be done on their own property. And trust me, Universal will use every string they can pull.

When fans bring up the "simple" solution of taking over the Lakeside Golf Club, they usually do not know the facts. Zoning Laws are just that. Thery cannot be changed without a majority vote. Universal is not going to acquire that land unless it benefits Universal. Plus, once Universal were to own it, they are restricted on what they can do with it. This will never happen. Universal is an Unincorporated City of Los Angeles County. They have their own rules on what can and cannot be done on their own property. And trust me, Universal will use every string they can pull.
I forget how "free" America is. I just think if you have a good idea and it will make money and nor hurt someone you should be able to build it....today.

CA is also the King of making things take longer and not allowing good idea's to seed. I just don't see why a city would fight for a gold course (its dying in America) over a growing industry in a place where you want more tourist and locals to spend money.

Golf courses are not dying. They are very high end properties which infuse major property value to the nearby community. The executive business world primarily supports a very heavy golfing community. Toluca Lake would never want the Country Club to leave because a theme park would only depreciate land value.

Golf courses are not dying. They are very high end properties which infuse major property value to the nearby community. The executive business world primarily supports a very heavy golfing community. Toluca Lake would never want the Country Club to leave because a theme park would only depreciate land value.
Golf is a dying sport and golf courses are closing all the time. But THIS golf course will be around for a long time. Chris makes really valid points about land value. The country club finished a multi year long restoration project in 2018.

Rezoning would also be a nightmare. From a land usage standpoint, the golf course is permitted to be just that -- a golf course. The amount of red tape and paperwork required to shift that land use would be insane, we're talking years and years, and that's just the paperwork. There's no guarantee it would be approved. When/if the park expands, it will happen on the land Universal already owns. Falls Lake area, for example.

I would almost grantee you there would be people way more willing to pay for memberships to a major amusement park than a limited volume golf course in distance of this, but the truly wealthy pay a big premium to play golf in a place like this to keep lesser people out and the owners probably bought the land when it was cheap for rich people a long time ago.

When I worked at universal they showed us a 10 year plan model, this was in 2017 ish, there was huge plots of land that they couldn’t tell us specifically was, but Nintendoland was one plot the added star way lane was there all before it was announced
and there was stuff close to the golf course.

I still think it's directly related to the 2024 Summer Olympics going to Paris instead of Los Angeles. Universal has worked and continues to work very closely with the city of Los Angeles when it comes to tourism. As part of their bid, the Universal Studios Lot would host the International Broadcast Center as well, a huge get for Universal. SNW was likely planned to open some time in 2023 or early 2024, occupying the area just north-east of the Lower Lot, taking over the soundstages between The Mummy and Transformers. This would have been a huge, Potter-level grand opening just before one of the largest tourism events Los Angeles has seen in 50 years. When the 2028 Olympics were granted to Los Angeles instead, it shifted the time line. Still want to do Pets, still want to do SNW, but it might be better to save the huge space originally assigned to SNW for something else that can be opened closer to the Olympics. So Pets gets shuffled to the Upper Lot, SNW gets crammed into the former Pets space, and the sound stages remain standing. For now.

I still think it's directly related to the 2024 Summer Olympics going to Paris instead of Los Angeles. Universal has worked and continues to work very closely with the city of Los Angeles when it comes to tourism. As part of their bid, the Universal Studios Lot would host the International Broadcast Center as well, a huge get for Universal. SNW was likely planned to open some time in 2023 or early 2024, occupying the area just north-east of the Lower Lot, taking over the soundstages between The Mummy and Transformers. This would have been a huge, Potter-level grand opening just before one of the largest tourism events Los Angeles has seen in 50 years. When the 2028 Olympics were granted to Los Angeles instead, it shifted the time line. Still want to do Pets, still want to do SNW, but it might be better to save the huge space originally assigned to SNW for something else that can be opened closer to the Olympics. So Pets gets shuffled to the Upper Lot, SNW gets crammed into the former Pets space, and the sound stages remain standing. For now.
Bingo! Someone gets it!

But we're still talking about a second gate, right? Not just a Diagon Alley-level expansion. The Olympics 100% play a role, you laid that out beautifully. But the biggest thing when it comes to creating a brand new theme park from the ground up at USH is simply finding the space to do it, IMO. And I think the space exists, just not in the places where people think first, like the golf course. I think it requires leveling massive chunks of the Studio Tour (Falls Lake, War of the Worlds set, Psycho sets) and completely rethinking how the Studio Tour operates. There was that recent rumor about USH exploring the idea of making the tour a separate ticket and no longer including it as part of the general park experience.

No idea if that works logistically, but if a second theme park is part of Universal's plan, that's really the only place it could go. And do we really see a second park without an onsite hotel/resort? Where does that go? Lots of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.