Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort. | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Alligator Drags 2 Year old into water at Grand Floridian resort.

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible. This is why I don't trust any body of water. You never know what's down there. I hear living in Florida, you can find gators in pools sometimes.

Absolutely, you'll see from time time photos of them in the pools, they will come on land and will find a backyard pool to chill in. I've even seen photos of gators trying to climb chain link fences to get into areas.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Not to mention snakes..

I think it is disney's job to make all families aware of the dangers (Sadly the times we live in).. and the parents job to not have a 2 year old in the shore of a lake specially in the evening (with so many pools) but hey its not a time to point fingers and blame. What a sad week for Orlando- For Florida and for the USA - Be safe be aware and be forward thinkers
Snakes is another reason why I do not do Florida's water where I can not see.
There was a little catch phrase in camp scouts camping in Orlando they used to tell us.
"If you can not see, you shall not be" .
It basically meant if you couldn't see that part of water that you were in or wanting to get in, you shouldn't be there.

What scares me most about Florida's water is the brain eating disease that goes unrecognized by many but has killed several people here. Esp Lakes, and Springs are dangerous to swim in besides the animals.

You just always take a chance getting in the natural bodies of water in Florida.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
I know there are signs about no swimming but I don't remember seeing any alligator warning signs around the lagoon. Without proper warning it is just not something a family from Nebraska would think about. I think there are only around a dozen gator attacks a year in Florida and a fatality only once every couple years. Such a tragedy.

Reactions: Macfr3ak
I know there are signs about no swimming but I don't remember seeing any alligator warning signs around the lagoon. Without proper warning it is just not something a family from Nebraska would think about. I think there are only around a dozen gator attacks a year in Florida and a fatality only once every couple years. Such a tragedy.
Fair point. There have been over 300 Gator attacks (Recorded) attacks in Florida since 1948. Next closest state? Texas, with less than 20. So I can see that point. esp without warning signs.

I'm gonna think a "Beware of Alligators" warning will be added to the sign when the beaches open back up. Disney has a decent amount of work to do to prove the average guest the Resort as a whole is safe unfortunately. I assume Disney will install security checks at Disney Springs as well in order to make a statement.

Fair point. There have been over 300 Gator attacks (Recorded) attacks in Florida since 1948. Next closest state? Texas, with less than 20. So I can see that point. esp without warning signs.

I think the biggest problem is that since it is Disney people just assume the water is safe. Still, with so few attacks there is more danger from boating, drowning or even lightning than gators.

I think the biggest problem is that since it is Disney people just assume the water is safe. Still, with so few attacks there is more danger from boating, drowning or even lightning than gators.
Realistically you have a better chance at Two Ferry's colliding, than a fatal Gator attack. But Disney should take necessary steps to provide families with information about "Natural Florida" when they come down and stay at the resorts that incorporate as much of Florida's nature as possible.

Terrible. This is why I don't trust any body of water. You never know what's down there. I hear living in Florida, you can find gators in pools sometimes.
They can find their way into pools even going as far as tearing through screens. Alligators that do find their way into a pool are incredibly dangerous, they are in an enclosed area that makes them panic and also chlorine found in many pools causes them to go blind.

Absolutely, you'll see from time time photos of them in the pools, they will come on land and will find a backyard pool to chill in. I've even seen photos of gators trying to climb chain link fences to get into areas.
Yes they can climb over fences and also coincidentally the beds of trucks even though they are tied and have their mouths taped.

Snakes is another reason why I do not do Florida's water where I can not see.
There was a little catch phrase in camp scouts camping in Orlando they used to tell us.
"If you can not see, you shall not be" .
It basically meant if you couldn't see that part of water that you were in or wanting to get in, you shouldn't be there.

What scares me most about Florida's water is the brain eating disease that goes unrecognized by many but has killed several people here. Esp Lakes, and Springs are dangerous to swim in besides the animals.

You just always take a chance getting in the natural bodies of water in Florida.
It isn't a disease it is an amoeba. Amoebas can live in warm stagnant bodies of water that also generally have a lot of plant and animal matter in them. This is the reason why all water parks have to be chlorinated pools and is why River Country originally closed.

They haven't found the body. They absolutely have to shut the beaches down. And probably the ferries too.
I'm surprised the ferries haven't been shut down yet. I would assume that would be one of the first things that they would have done. I highly doubt that this alligator would be dangerous to those on the ferry but something very bad could happen.

Reactions: Quint
I'm surprised the ferries haven't been shut down yet. I would assume that would be one of the first things that they would have done. I highly doubt that this alligator would be dangerous to those on the ferry but something very bad could happen.
The problem with the ferries is it's moving the water. So theoretically, it could be making finding the child (which at this point is just finding a body unfortunately) a lot harder.

I think a lot of things at WDW will be changing soon.
Yup. I really hope we don't lose beach access, but we'll see. I expect heavy security increase in the wake of the shooting incident, especially considering the news that he was scouting Disney Springs.

Holy crap such an awful week for Orlando in so many ways. I feel for that poor family, I'm also guessing the kid will not be found alive at the very least.

Guessing the shores of the beaches will be fenced off, but I see ferry operation and such continuing in the future.

This is from Orlando United twitter:

@MickeyXtreme: Reports coming in #WaltDisneyWorld aside from closing all beaches have suspended guests boat rentals in the Seven Seas and Bay Lake Resorts

If they can't even find parts of the child, that'll really make the whole thing pretty eerie. Like, who knows if the kid was swallowed whole or is just under water somewhere.

If they can't even find parts of the child, that'll really make the whole thing pretty eerie. Like, who knows if the kid was swallowed whole or is just under water somewhere.
I don't want to be to gruesome but they are probably looking for remains in each alligator they catch. The child was most likely not swallowed whole. Alligators have a very specific method of how they kill and how they eat. If you want details look it up or PM me, but I don't want to go into it any more than that in the open forums.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.