Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Are Shows Universal?

I really don't get why they don't use the Music Plaza Stage more often. They could have evening shows there that entice guests to hang out until later hours. I brought up the Pitch Perfect acappella show before but they could even have a night Blues Brothers show or bring back a version of the Graveyard Revue.

I'm thinking of replacing the Barney show with a preschool property Universal has the rights to. Maybe they'd do a Paw Patrol show, since very few kids know who he is today. (well, one of my cousins does, but that's only because her mom shows her shows she watched in the 90's).
As for other Universal properties, I think Sing would make a great stage show. I believe that it would be similar to the old American Idol Experience at Disney, where park guests can go on stage and sing songs from the movie with costumes of the characters. Or since they own DreamWorks now, maybe we'll get a Trolls stage show? It's one of the biggest things amongst young girls and moves more merchandise than Frozen does.

I really don't get why they don't use the Music Plaza Stage more often. They could have evening shows there that entice guests to hang out until later hours. I brought up the Pitch Perfect acappella show before but they could even have a night Blues Brothers show or bring back a version of the Graveyard Revue.

Yeah. It makes no sense as to why the music plaza isn't used for a daytime stage show. Universal Studios Japan has a similar stage and it gets used for daily shows.

Yeah. It makes no sense as to why the music plaza isn't used for a daytime stage show. Universal Studios Japan has a similar stage and it gets used for daily shows.

USJ gets big name artists there constantly performing daily during the summer and throws huge parties and shows with water cannons, confetti, and other things that UOR doesn't do. The stage setup and effects allowed are very different.

I just got a survey from UOR asking about my favorite plays, play types, tv shows, and movies. A part of it even named specific plays like Shrek, In the Heights, Beauty and the Beast, Anne Frank, Spamalot, and a few others. I really hope Hamilton gets a permanent show their (even though I know it probably won't occur).

I just got a survey from UOR asking about my favorite plays, play types, tv shows, and movies. A part of it even named specific plays like Shrek, In the Heights, Beauty and the Beast, Anne Frank, Spamalot, and a few others. I really hope Hamilton gets a permanent show their (even though I know it probably won't occur).

God, I love Spamalot. Shrek would be a worthy addition.
Hamilton would easily be sold out for months and months and months.

Hamilton won't come due to explicit language and not being appropriate audience. Remember the venue not just the IP.

More than likely it will be a musical Universal owns or Robert Greenblatt produced rather than something they have to play royalties for.

Hamilton won't come due to explicit language and not being appropriate audience. Remember the venue not just the IP.

More than likely it will be a musical Universal owns or Robert Greenblatt produced rather than something they have to play royalties for.

I would also not vouch out someone else like Cirque for outside the park entertainment.

That said, I think it's telling of how they are wanting to see what people's reaction would be for show's like that.

I would doubt Hamilton (even though it'd make a helluvalot of money) for particular reasons mentioned by Quinn and also other reasons.

2876377.gif

shows to expect (owned by Universal):

(Bring it on Music by Lin Miranda Manuel)

Hamilton before Hamilton was a thing (would most likely be censored

Eh, too bad. Hoping for BTTF to return to the park in some form one day (other than the Car and Doc).

The musical hasn't even been workshopped yet. They are still working on music.

Last edited:

As I've said, it's not the actual items that Universal is interested in, it's the things people aren't or the similar things they are. I bet UOR did surveys in early 2000s and found guests wanted a musical, Vegas act with minimal dialogue, so they got in Blue Man Group.

As I've said, it's not the actual items that Universal is interested in, it's the things people aren't or the similar things they are. I bet UOR did surveys in early 2000s and found guests wanted a musical, Vegas act with minimal dialogue, so they got in Blue Man Group.
One of the options was interactive theater show, which is what I consider BMG to be.

It was brought up how does Disney have so many big scale shows and Universal so few in another thread...main issue is a lot of these just aren't made for theme park crowds as each is very niche

Already developed:
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Catch Me If You Can
Thoroughly Modern Millie
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Xanadu
Wicked
Big It On: The Musical
Holiday Inn
Cry-Baby
Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson
Merchant of Venice
Billy Elliot
The Gershwins Porgy and Bess
Gore Vidal's The Best Man
Side Show
A Doll House, Pt 2
War Paint
Destry Rides Again
Nuts
Doonesbury
Miss Saigon
Suessical
Throughly Modern Millie

Upcoming:
Bombshell
Coal Miner's Daughter
October Sky
National Lampoon Animal House
The Sting (April next year)
Its Kind Of A Funny Story
Brokeback Mountain (Definitely won't come to the park just based on content)
Prince of Eygpt (October this year)
To Kill A Mockingbird
To Wong Foo thanks for everything! Julie Newmar
Back To the Future

Last edited:
Looking at that list, only 4 shows stand out as theme-park viable:

Wicked
Bring it On
BTTF
Mean Girls
(Maybe Xanadu if you're feeling froggy)

Wicked is the most attractive of the list based on longevity, quality, and universal appeal.

Really, Universal should go the "Finding Nemo Live" route and hire Broadway writers for one of their/Dreamworks animated properties.