Are Shows Universal? | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Are Shows Universal?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Haven't been here in a while, but are these suggestions for the park or the Blue Man theater?

The parks won't get a Broadway show. Ever. Period. No Broadway show would want to give up their box office. All of the shows will be made specifically for the park. Universal really needs to go the Finding Nemo Live route because Disney absolutely destroys them on show quality. Universal only has 1 or 2 shows even close to Disney standards.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Haven't been here in a while, but are these suggestions for the park or the Blue Man theater?

The parks won't get a Broadway show. Ever. Period. No Broadway show would want to give up their box office. All of the shows will be made specifically for the park. Universal really needs to go the Finding Nemo Live route because Disney absolutely destroys them on show quality. Universal only has 1 or 2 shows even close to Disney standards.
More so the new properties.

These are shows Universal themselves own so they can do what they please with them in the park or citywalk or blue man theatre etc.

Some of these have already been talking into being abridged for park use but the issue is most of these either aren't proper for a theme park, require too much manpower to be efficient, or can't properly or adequately convey the story. (WICKED's problem in Japan was that it was too short to tell the story)

Blue Man Group is not leaving. They now have the largest venue in Orlando after they moved in Vegas and it's a very profitable show.

I think Universal does good small shows. I do not think their large productions are good. I worry about them bringing on anything larger than Horror Make-Up.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
These are shows Universal themselves own so they can do what they please with them in the park or citywalk or blue man theatre etc.

Some of these have already been talking into being abridged for park use but the issue is most of these either aren't proper for a theme park, require too much manpower to be efficient, or can't properly or adequately convey the story. (WICKED's problem in Japan was that it was too short to tell the story)
Wicked can be compacted into a 30 minute show that effectively tells the story of how Elphaba became the Wicked Witch:

No One Mourns the Wicked - Opening
Narrate/Act introductions at Shiz and move straight into What Is This Feeling (Loathing).
Narrate/Act passage of time and move straight into Popular.
Narrate straight into One Short Day.
Act a shortened Wizard reveal/Elphaba rebels.
Defying Gravity finale

That is the actual Wicked Witch origin.

It's a theme park show. Cut Tessa, Fiyaro, Boq, Dr. Dillamond and everything AFTER Defying Gravity and you'll have something that is fine for a theme parks. Losing Dancing Through Life and For Good sucks, but Dancing Through Life can turn into a nice, up-tempo curtain call. The entire second act is too heavy for a theme park (Hi, Into the Woods!)

Most importantly, from a cost perspective, you'll only need two featured singers. Everyone else will use a heavy sweetener track.

Wicked can be compacted into a 30 minute show that effectively tells the story of how Elphaba became the Wicked Witch:

No One Mourns the Wicked - Opening
Narrate/Act introductions at Shiz and move straight into What Is This Feeling (Loathing).
Narrate/Act passage of time and move straight into Popular.
Narrate straight into One Short Day.
Act a shortened Wizard reveal/Elphaba rebels.
Defying Gravity finale

That is the actual Wicked Witch origin.

It's a theme park show. Cut Tessa, Fiyaro, Boq, Dr. Dillamond and everything AFTER Defying Gravity and you'll have something that is fine for a theme parks. Losing Dancing Through Life and For Good sucks, but Dancing Through Life can turn into a nice, up-tempo curtain call. The entire second act is too heavy for a theme park (Hi, Into the Woods!)

Most importantly, from a cost perspective, you'll only need two featured singers. Everyone else will use a heavy sweetener track.

Wouldn't have made sense. You would still need Madam Morrible who was instrumental in the story and why Elphaba was considered Evil when she told everyone she was bad. Then how she screwed up which was why Boq became the tin man. Without Fiyero you can't tell how she made the cowardly lion and the scarecrow which were both part of why she was considered Wicked.

Wouldn't have made sense. You would still need Madam Morrible who was instrumental in the story and why Elphaba was considered Evil when she told everyone she was bad. Then how she screwed up which was why Boq became the tin man. Without Fiyero you can't tell how she made the cowardly lion and the scarecrow which were both part of why she was considered Wicked.
But that's not the story of Wicked. Wicked is about the Wicked Witch. If you never introduce Boq and Fiyaro, you never have to explain them (besides, they're already drastic variations from the book, where they DON'T become Scarecrow and Tin Man). That's why I say cut them. Basically, if they aren't in the Wizard of Oz AND Wicked as major characters in both, they're not needed in the theme park version.

Madam Morrible is required as a character when they arrive at Shiz, but she drops some exposition about Elpheba being bad because she's green and that's it. Her part would literally be five minutes. She doesn't even have to be NAMED in a theme park show.

Blue Man Group is not leaving. They now have the largest venue in Orlando after they moved in Vegas and it's a very profitable show.

I think Universal does good small shows. I do not think their large productions are good. I worry about them bringing on anything larger than Horror Make-Up.
I can agree with that. I've never seen Horror Make-Up, but everybody seems to rave about it. And the small stage shows at Diagon Alley are absolutely killer.

Honestly, I don't think Universal needs to do big shows. They take up a ton of space. Considering the space constraints the resort currently has, I'd much rather see them dedicate that space towards attractions or placemaking.

It was brought up in another thread that Beat Builders could be moved soon. With F&F opening it’s current location will be a very high-traffic area. Could it move to Hollywood or Central Park? And if so where in those areas?

It was brought up in another thread that Beat Builders could be moved soon. With F&F opening it’s current location will be a very high-traffic area. Could it move to Hollywood or Central Park? And if so where in those areas?

Hypothetically, if BB stays following the F&F opening, but is moved, what could stop them from re-locating the show temporarily to over by the T2 entrance?

Reactions: WAJAS and Mad Dog

Speculation it could move. I don’t see it moving.

I’m not entirely sure what Beat Builders is, but I’m assuming they wouldn’t move it unless it was getting in the way of the F&F crowds.

I feel like F&F hasn’t been marketed as a major attraction that alters crowd flow, so I’m not thinking anything will need to change.

I’m not entirely sure what Beat Builders is, but I’m assuming they wouldn’t move it unless it was getting in the way of the F&F crowds.

I feel like F&F hasn’t been marketed as a major attraction that alters crowd flow, so I’m not thinking anything will need to change.
That side of the park will have the bulk of the crowds, especially with F&F. The Hollywood side, once Kidzone goes down, will only have The Horror Make Up Show, Parade float solo shows. ET & Simpsons. That's kind of short on attractions.

Reactions: GadgetGuru

Best Builders is the percussion show with the construction crew to the right of the entrance to F&F.