Artegon Site for New Theme Park? | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Artegon Site for New Theme Park?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Screamscape took a look at possible buyers of Artegon. Here is their speculation:

Pondering it over, I do have to say my biggest hunch tells me to keep an eye on PARQUES REUNIDOS. Who are they? They are a Spanish owned chain of parks and smaller attractions that are fairly wide-spread throughout the European market who own parks such as Bobbejaanland, Bonbon Land, Mirabilandia, TysenFryd and Parque Warner Madrid. However they also bought up a small chain of American owned attractions who still operate the US division under the name of Palace Entertainment. Palace properties include well-known waterpark and FEC names like Wet ‘n Wild, Raging Waters, Castle Park and Noah’s Ark, but they also acquired the chain of parks that includes Kennywood, Lake Compounce and Idlewild as well as the small StoryLand, Miami Seaquarium and Dutch Wonderland parks and attractions.

The article goes on to discuss how the company meets the criteria and how they are in a position to make such a move.

Orlando

Screamscape took a look at possible buyers of Artegon. Here is their speculation:

Pondering it over, I do have to say my biggest hunch tells me to keep an eye on PARQUES REUNIDOS. Who are they? They are a Spanish owned chain of parks and smaller attractions that are fairly wide-spread throughout the European market who own parks such as Bobbejaanland, Bonbon Land, Mirabilandia, TysenFryd and Parque Warner Madrid. However they also bought up a small chain of American owned attractions who still operate the US division under the name of Palace Entertainment. Palace properties include well-known waterpark and FEC names like Wet ‘n Wild, Raging Waters, Castle Park and Noah’s Ark, but they also acquired the chain of parks that includes Kennywood, Lake Compounce and Idlewild as well as the small StoryLand, Miami Seaquarium and Dutch Wonderland parks and attractions.

The article goes on to discuss how the company meets the criteria and how they are in a position to make such a move.

Orlando
Their US parks are pretty small affairs. The three that were formerly Kennywood properties (Kennywood, Idlewild & Lake Compounce) are their largest and they've put very little into anything new in those parks since the purchase). If it's them, I would expect a fairly inconsequential park. They are very tight when it comes to spending money. Diagon & Hogsmeade are probably worth more than all of their US properties combined.

Reactions: medic2

Orlando

Interesting theory, but Lance's post immediately before says no existing FL properties--wouldn't Miami Seaquarium disqualify them?

First I've heard of Herschend's Celebration City, which may have failed in Branson, but from the cursory description sounds like a tailor-made fit for I-Drive. I wouldn't be so quick to rule them out.

I hope that Herschend buys the land. They could actually outclass Universal and Disney when it comes to smaller scale live entertainment and would have experience creating decently themed but affordable attractions.

It seems silly that Universal wouldn't just buy this even if they had no plans to use it for a long time given the proximity and Comcast money though.

I would have also thought Ferrari land would be a possibility, but they aren't US based I guess unless it would be in partnership with someone else.

I just hope they start building it soon before we hit some sort of recession and the developer gets spooked.

Interesting theory, but Lance's post immediately before says no existing FL properties--wouldn't Miami Seaquarium disqualify them?

First I've heard of Herschend's Celebration City, which may have failed in Branson, but from the cursory description sounds like a tailor-made fit for I-Drive. I wouldn't be so quick to rule them out.

Don't get me started on Celebration City. What a waste. One of the best GCI coasters ever built was totally wasted there. they finally tore it down this summer. It was billed as a nighttime park to compliment SDC and it had a 50's theme but it rarely was open past ten on the weekends. it should have been free to enter with wristband or per ride prices, it could have been a great little entertainment district with the proper hrs to at least 12 am on the weekends. What it did was split the investment money for Branson. if you look at what Herschend has put in Dollywood and then go back and see what they did with SDC and CC and it was nearly one for one but when CC closed down, it left just SDC at a deficit when compared to Dollywood. if you look at the two park and include what went in at CC, it's nearly 1 for 1. they both got Mack Splash Battles, there were 2 GCI woodies, two giant swings, was supposed to be two Gerstlauer euro fighters but HFC didn't like the finished product of Dollywood's and cancelled SDC's, Dollywood got her B&M, and there has been two RMC's now. If Celebration City had never existed SDC would have got all that spend instead.

I would rule anybody out based of the media relations denials.

Parque folks have Port Adventura as well. Ferrari has said in the past year they wanted a US park. it just so happens the those two are about to open a Ferrari World next to Port Adventura. So there is a connection there.

I would have hoped for Six flags since they have the Warner and DC rights for North America. A plussed up Six Flags using those IPs could work.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I am still rooting for Six Flags. Most of their parks are seasonal and weekends, so a year round park would be great. It would be value priced compared to Orlando parks so it would be perfect for locals. It would bring a large number of big thrill rides to Orlando, something you only find at most a few of at the local parks.

Hopefully we get this guy back to lead the party:
latest

Just to throw out some numbers. I think this piece of land is about 210 acres.

Cedar Point, water park and car park is about 240 acres.

Knott's Berry farm, water park and car park is about 144 acres.

Magic Mountain, water park and car park is about 200 acres.

Universal Studios, Islands, CityWalk and both car parks is about 250 acres.

I thought it was a fairly large piece of land but this is way beyond how big I thought.

I really think people need to throw conventional thinking out the window on this.

People keep poo-pooing the idea of Six Flags or Cedar Fair based on the past. Both companies have changed greatly in the past 10 years with new leadership and other changes. Add to that the part of the rumor that this is a project with a foreign investor involved and ANYTHING is possible. Six Flags is working with several outside companies on projects in China and the Middle East. If they could get them to finance and license the names/designs why wouldn't they jump into the market. Little to no risk for them and further expansion of their brand into a new market. And on the Cedar Fair side, Ouimet is running the company, and as a former Disney exec, he knows a thing or two about the market and building a new park.

I also don't think this would necessarily be a theme park like most people are picturing. Chances are this would be more of a mixed thing with the movie theater and Bass Pro Shop included in the mix along with rides and other attractions. I just don't see it as a real theme park.

Also, I wouldn't count on anything happening until actual ground is broken. Look at "Thrill Park", "The Poler Coaster", and so many other projects announced that haven't come to pass...

theme park.jpg Throwing out some more ideas. Both hotels could have direct access into the park similar to DCA and would have views over the theme park and water park.

The indoor water park could make a great weenie driving up I Drive.

Cedar Fair, large indoor water park resort hotel, full blown theme park. No real shopping/dining component but a couple of chain restaurants and onsite activities like mini golf.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT