1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Attendance Decline?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Galaxy Defender, Jul 5, 2016.

1. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

That’s the really strange thing about DL compared to WDW, I think we bumped into maybe 2 Brits during our stay and nobody understood the accent. Orlando just feels like home away from home.

Joel, SeventyOne and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Teebin

Teebin Legendary Member

Stop it Scott, yer gonna make me cry! ;)

scott_walker likes this.
  3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Steeler Shirts:Orlando/Central Florida has always been a big vacation destination for Western Pennsylvanians, plus it's probably where the bulk of them head for retirement if they leave Pennsylvania.

SeventyOne and Disneyhead like this.
  4. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Good article today on Theme Park Insider concerning the changes in theme park demographics (CupCake & Upcharges). With the baby bust of the last two decades the age demographics have flattened and theme park fans are spread evenly among all age groups. Thus the trend towards more entertainment based rides as opposed to more thrill rides, upcharge events, and catering to older groups with no children. The theme park goers with small children are a steadily decreasing demographic. Very interesting read. .....Good news, less strollers to bang my shins.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Joel, UK-Trigg and SeventyOne like this.
  5. Disneyhead

Disneyhead Veteran Member

Universal has never actively courted the "Stroller Brigade".

Joel and UK-Trigg like this.
  6. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Which means their problems will kick in 7 - 1o years later, just as the Star Wars v. Potter/Ninendo theme park wars are heating up.

7. Disneyhead

There is very little upside in catering to infants.

UK-Trigg and SeventyOne like this.
  8. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Agreed, just saying the demographic shift is only going to age.

UK-Trigg likes this.
  9. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

Disney never purposefully intended on targeting that demographic originally. I think they accidentally ran into it when they had the hotel boom of the Values and Moderates in the mid to late 90's. Disney had also started to become something that you just did because you wanted to share with your children the experiences you had. Once the internet really started to become a thing and the early Disney forums started, it amplified the sentiment that Disney was a vacation that you share with your kids.

Now once Disney realized what was going on, they definitely capitalized on it as much as possible (and as greedily as possible). I just think it was one of those things that sort of organically happened and then Disney fully embraced it.

Mr. EPCOT and UK-Trigg like this.
  10. UltimateUOR

UltimateUOR Newcomer

This intrigues me, it's been a long time since I have seen attendance rates so low. I believe that the traditional, "Hop in the station wagon kids! We're going to Disney World!" vacation has evolved into a thing that doesn't really happen anymore.

Disneyhead likes this.
  11. UltimateUOR

UltimateUOR Newcomer

Disney isn't really evolving like they thought they would. Universal is though...

12. Disneyhead

Well, now that a Disney vacation costs more than the station wagon, something's gotta give.

JoeCamel, Joel, fryoj and 5 others like this.
  13. UltimateUOR

UltimateUOR Newcomer

Disney ticket prices have only gone up in price for the last 20 years. (excluding 2010)

Disneyhead likes this.
  14. Nick C.

That's fair because it's true.

But you're acting like UOR doesn't raise their prices by omitting them from your post.

15. Jon84

Jon84 Have you tried turning it off and on again? Premium Member

Same, I find I have to repeat myself more in DL than WDW.

Although the Essex accent seems to be easily confused with an Aussie accent.

UltimateUOR likes this.
  16. Disneyhead

Universal has kept pace with Disney pricing on one day/one park passes, parking, and Coca-Cola. Disney has far out paced Universal in APs, lodging, and food prices, though.

Joe, UltimateUOR and Mad Dog like this.
  17. Nick C.

I think Universal has kept decent pace with Disney on AP price. Not the same, but their APs have seen significant increases over the last few years to start charging more and also adding more blockouts. Yes, Disney did just revamp their AP system, but they changed it so that it's a system that can work no matter your budget AND all passes include parking.

When it comes to lodging and full serve restaurants, you'll get no argument from me. Portofino is a better hotel than any WDW hotel and is about the price of a moderate. Quick serve prices are about the same though.

UltimateUOR and Disneyhead like this.
  18. UltimateUOR

UltimateUOR Newcomer

Well they do, last summer I was there (we are AP members) and our badges were not scanning so, they offered up free 1 day passes which retailed at $150 each! So just because I didn't include them doesn't mean I am ignoring their price increase.

19. bob albert

bob albert Member

Disney is often cheaper than universal for an AP on a per park basis for locals. Disney just refuses to offer seasonal and limited APs to anyone else.

UltimateUOR likes this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Disney's quarterly report (July, August, Sept. 2017) was just released. Highlights fom the Parks & Resorts segment of the report...."Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our international operations, partially offset by a decrease at our domestic operations. Results of our international operations were due to growth at Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort...Guest spending growth was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and food and beverage spending...The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort, and higher sales of vacation club units."