Attendance Tracker | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Well, do we even know about the 30% decline is even referring to? Expectations for the holiday weekend? For the quarter? Post Memorial Day Weekend?

Regardless, it sounds like an over exaggeration. But Disney wouldn't be happy with even a 3% decline. Just that alone is millions in lost revenue.

A decline would be year over year.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Then that's impossible.

Same time period, 2016 v. 2015.

AFAIK, 30% came from @Disneyhead , either here or on Tragic. Whether or not he can divulge his source I don't know, but he's always been a level-headed poster. I will say it sounds high but not completely unrealistic given all the other anecdotal evidence I've seen and heard around town.

Since then, from a different source, I have heard 20% drop in overall Orlando visitor number since Pulse/gator attack. That may pop up in the Sentinel soon, unless Disney gets the story spiked.

Same time period, 2016 v. 2015.

AFAIK, 30% came from @Disneyhead , either here or on Tragic. Whether or not he can divulge his source I don't know, but he's always been a level-headed poster. I will say it sounds high but not completely unrealistic given all the other anecdotal evidence I've seen and heard around town.

Since then, from a different source, I have heard 20% drop in overall Orlando visitor number since Pulse/gator attack. That may pop up in the Sentinel soon, unless Disney gets the story spiked.

I have a hard time believing Pulse and the gator attacks have an affect on visitor numbers this quickly. Unlike 9/11 which was deeply more affecting and caused travel issues for over a year, it won't have that immediate of an impact. Are people really going to cancel less than a month out and take the cancelation fees?

Reactions: anihilnation
A decline would be year over year.
Comp
I have a hard time believing Pulse and the gator attacks have an affect on visitor numbers this quickly. Unlike 9/11 which was deeply more affecting and caused travel issues for over a year, it won't have that immediate of an impact. Are people really going to cancel less than a month out and take the cancelation fees?
This could have an immediate impact on those that drive to Disney and those that tend to book last minute. I think this happened just as the drop in Brazilian tourists really kicked in for WDW. Variable pricing deterred some from going during the busy time, not to mention so many great unfinished projects. If I only went once or twice to WDW I wouldn't want to go this summer.

Other factors would affect all Orlando parks. I really believe WDW just got hit by the perfect storm of circumstances. Still, a good enough hotel deal will entice many back so WDW will likely crank that up.

I'm sure FL Residents can decide to go/not go on more of a whim. Not many cancellation fees for most hotels if you cancel more than 5 days out. Plus, with this heat, I've heard more than once, "Who the hell would want to go to a theme park right now?"

But I just checked Universal wait times and they look healthy. Why is Shrek at a 60 minute wait? Did they close half of it for a haunted house again?

/\_ <----Probable Orlando visitors over the past 4 years. I'm sure this "decline" is just a pot hole on the side of Everest.
/
/\/
/
/
/ EDIT: Well, my backslash/forward slash chart didn't work out as planned. But hopefully you get the idea.

Numbers from a reliable source (albeit one despised around these parts).

I do think there's a tendency on the boards to think everyone vacations like us, when the vast majority do the exact opposite. Cf. number of single-day tickets sold every morning.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The overall mood in this country is sour and becoming more polarized by the minute I can see it starting to have an effect on just everyday life. No one is happy about nothin'

I do think there's a tendency on the boards to think everyone vacations like us, when the vast majority do the exact opposite. Cf. number of single-day tickets sold every morning.
I live in Atlanta, but many of my trips to Orlando are last minute decisions with reservations rarely made more than two or three days in advance. This way I can easily change plans as circumstances dictate.

This is going to sound weird, but do people actually make that connection? They might be flying into Orlando International Airport, but they aren't going to "Orlando." They're going to Disney World or Universal. That's a great rationale to make people think that absolutely nothing bad could happen.

This is going to sound weird, but do people actually make that connection? They might be flying into Orlando International Airport, but they aren't going to "Orlando." They're going to Disney World or Universal. That's a great rationale to make people think that absolutely nothing bad could happen.

From a tourist perspective I think the majority of people associate Orlando with Disney and Universal.

When I was planning a trip for me, my wife and her family. My mother in law suggested we get 3 cars so we can all come and go to the parks as we see fit thinking everything was located within a small town and everything is a 5min drive away.

From a tourist perspective I think the majority of people associate Orlando with Disney and Universal.

When I was planning a trip for me, my wife and her family. My mother in law suggested we get 3 cars so we can all come and go to the parks as we see fit thinking everything was located within a small town and everything is a 5min drive away.
My mother in law suggested.....

You know when a sentence starts that way it is going to have a bad ending. ;)

Yeah, Orlando is WDW for many people from away. There is no city, there is no Doc Phillips, there is no Tupperware or Lockheed. I know because I was just as unaware when I first drove on I4. I assumed it would be gentle-drive-happy-town. I assume the rest of the country assumed this, or assumed this until recently.

My mother in law suggested.....

You know when a sentence starts that way it is going to have a bad ending. ;)

I gave the smallest budget for this trip possible and then booked Cabana Bay which drove the price up incredibly and then they backed out, I say I done it because I wanted to stay on site but subconsciously I think I done it to get a trip with just my wife.

Reactions: MrRoamer

You probably know more than me, raising my questions of people adjusting Orlando vacations less than a month before. It's very possible it's down 20% year over year, I don't buy the Pulse/Gator/etc issues. Same for the country being "more divided than ever" causing issues.