Attendance Tracker | Page 89 | Inside Universal Forums

Attendance Tracker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Anecdotal Evidence: All the Disney Resorts are on Priceline at ridiculously low rates. Look for clues like "Palm Tree Lined Resort" (Poly) and "Jazzy Entertainment" (Port Orleans).

Sidebar: When there is an impeding "important" election, consumer unease rises because of the plethora of "the situation is dire" campaign ads and media coverage. Perception can be self fulfilling.

At some point, Disney won't be able to sustain the rate at which they're hiking their prices. But I don't think they'll stop until it's a bit too late.
No, they'll keep raising those prices (there's always someone willing to pay them), but then offer discounts to make it seem like people are getting a bargain. Just like they do with dining plan, making all the food prices so outrageous they seem like a great value when you pre-pay.

It's like when you go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Everything in those stores is priced higher than necessary, some people pay full price because they're desperate or they don't know any better, but most people bring a coupon for a huge discount that makes them feel like they're getting a huge bargain (but they're still paying too much). Every year for Black Friday the same thing happens in all of retail...

Anecdotal Evidence: All the Disney Resorts are on Priceline at ridiculously low rates. Look for clues like "Palm Tree Lined Resort" (Poly) and "Jazzy Entertainment" (Port Orleans).

Not to go off topic, but could you go into how you would find these/the clues part?

Reactions: Coasted

Sidebar: When there is an impeding "important" election, consumer unease rises because of the plethora of "the situation is dire" campaign ads and media coverage. Perception can be self fulfilling.

Jazzy entertainment is hilarious. :lol:

Reactions: Disneyhead
Not to go off topic, but could you go into how you would find these/the clues part?
Go to Priceline.com enter destination, dates, # of people then hit search. After it pulls up a list of hotels hit the "Express Deal" filter. That hides the names of the hotels but gives better deals. Then scroll through the list of hotels reading the descriptions. I don't remember all the clues though.

Go to Priceline.com enter destination, dates, # of people then hit search. After it pulls up a list of hotels hit the "Express Deal" filter. That hides the names of the hotels but gives better deals. Then scroll through the list of hotels reading the descriptions. I don't remember all the clues though.

This makes for some interesting messing around. You can easily figure out what hotels are on property or not if it has a resort fee (With the exception of Swan and Dolphin).

When do you find out what hotel you've got? I imagine if you don't find out until near your arrival, the benefits of early FP access might not make it worth it.

No, they'll keep raising those prices (there's always someone willing to pay them), but then offer discounts to make it seem like people are getting a bargain. Just like they do with dining plan, making all the food prices so outrageous they seem like a great value when you pre-pay.

It's like when you go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's. Everything in those stores is priced higher than necessary, some people pay full price because they're desperate or they don't know any better, but most people bring a coupon for a huge discount that makes them feel like they're getting a huge bargain (but they're still paying too much). Every year for Black Friday the same thing happens in all of retail...
I get pin codes regularly and the deals have been a joke for a few years now. It seems like all the heavy discounts are for Florida residents or international visitors.

This makes for some interesting messing around. You can easily figure out what hotels are on property or not if it has a resort fee (With the exception of Swan and Dolphin).

When do you find out what hotel you've got? I imagine if you don't find out until near your arrival, the benefits of early FP access might not make it worth it.
With Priceline you pay for the total charge when you reserve. You find out when you pay. You pay tonight, you find out tonight.

Reactions: Scott W.
I got the Swan this weekend on Priceline for $116 a night. Even with the fees bringing that up to $160 a night total, that's still a steal for being walking distance/having boat transportation to DHS/Epcot.

WDW hotel resort tax is 12.5%, Allstar hotels at %13.5 this is their own tax. But if you apply online 3 months before your stay you can get a free tube of KY jelly. Not sure about the Swalphin

Last edited:
What are these hotel fees that everyone speaks of? State tax or is it something else?

dolphin resort fee.JPG

Some hotels in a bid to make more money will have a resort fee. It pretty much started out in Vegas and is slowly spreading to every tourist area. It makes hotels seem cheaper by adding a separate payment that's due to be paid at the hotel after your stay. They try to justify it by saying it pays for parking or wifi, basically anything that used to be included in the price.

The hotels within Disney World that aren't owned by Disney will charge you about $30 a day on top of the room price to allow you access to the early FP and ADR but will still charge you for parking.

It boils my piss.

They charge for parking even though one might not have a car? What a bunch of chislers!

The Swan and Dolphin charge extra for parking providing you have a car but the resort fee stays the same regardless.

Most other resort fees include parking.

On my honeymoon, the resort fee included a photo package but it was mandatory for each day even if you got a photo or not.

Yeah, the 12.5 is a state resort and sales.

“Orlando Sales and Resort Tax. In Central Florida, taxes on purchases range from 6 to 7 percent on all merchandise except “necessary” grocery items and medicine. In Orlando and Orange County, a 6-percent resort tax is imposed on all hotel rooms in addition to 6.5-percent sales tax.”

I don’t really know what I am complaining about when you consider that Florida has no income tax because of these taxes on tourists.

Yeah, the 12.5 is a state resort and sales.

“Orlando Sales and Resort Tax. In Central Florida, taxes on purchases range from 6 to 7 percent on all merchandise except “necessary” grocery items and medicine. In Orlando and Orange County, a 6-percent resort tax is imposed on all hotel rooms in addition to 6.5-percent sales tax.”

I don’t really know what I am complaining about when you consider that Florida has no income tax because of these taxes on tourists.

Florida doesn't have income tax? :faint:

In Scotland we're paying 20% VAT on pretty much everything and anything you earn over $15,000, you're paying 21% and anything over $50,000 you're paying the taxman 41%. :thud:

Reactions: SeventyOne
Florida doesn't have income tax? :faint:

In Scotland we're paying 20% VAT on pretty much everything and anything you earn over $15,000, you're paying 21% and anything over $50,000 you're paying the taxman 41%. :thud:
Between various local, state, medicare, S.S, Federal Income it all adds up to about the same....and that's not counting the "huge" property taxes we pay in most of the northeastern states.