Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Backlot Tour to close September 27

But Disney has the space to waste. I personally think they should have expanded the park instead of replacing things.
tbh, DHS doesn't have much expansion space. It's blocked in by main roads, an access road to the park, backstage stuff and wetlands (which technically could be used, but it would cost a lot just to prep the land).

Right now, the Backlot Tour area and where Lights, Motors, Actions is IS the expansion space for DHS. For all intents and purposes, if they do a proper replacement, it WILL be an expansion as far as the public is concerned because more people will actually care about what is there.

Last edited:
tbh, DHS doesn't have much expansion space. It's blocked in by main roads, an access road to the park, backstage stuff and wetlands (which technically could be used, but it would cost a lot just to prep the land).

Right now, the Backlot Tour area and where Lights, Motors, Actions is IS the expansion space for DHS. For all intents and purposes, if they do a proper replacement, it WILL be an expansion as far as the public is concerned because more people will actually care about what is there.

By wetlands you mean land in the same condition that DHS and their other parks were originally built on. DHS is just not boxed in like Universal Studios is, and my point is I would rather see them using their advantage as an advantage.

By wetlands you mean land in the same condition that DHS and their other parks were originally built on. DHS is just not boxed in like Universal Studios is, and my point is I would rather see them using their advantage as an advantage.
They are boxed in though. To even get to those wetlands, they have to reroute the alternate access road to the park and fix the parking lot situation. It's not something that would be cheap to do. There are plans to move the access road and fix the parking lot at the moment, but that needs to happen before any expansion outside the current limits of the park can happen. That side of the park is very close to multiple roads.

And stabilizing the wetlands would be costly as well. Do I think it will happen eventually? Yes. But it'll be down the road.

For the meantime they should be reusing the Backlot tour, Lights, Motors, Action and Honey I shrunk play area. Eventually, I could see them utilizing the southern parking lots for park expansion. Not sure if it would be more hassle/difficult to reroute/close the south gate and put up a parking garage though.

I feel like by the time all the parking lots they have fill up, they have already reached maximum capacity though.

They are boxed in though. To even get to those wetlands, they have to reroute the alternate access road to the park and fix the parking lot situation. It's not something that would be cheap to do. There are plans to move the access road and fix the parking lot at the moment, but that needs to happen before any expansion outside the current limits of the park can happen. That side of the park is very close to multiple roads.

And stabilizing the wetlands would be costly as well. Do I think it will happen eventually? Yes. But it'll be down the road.

The obstacles in which you speak are all Disney owned. The main roads, while being owned by Disney, are on the other side of the park from what I am referring. If they alter the perimeter then the perimeter road would need to be altered accordingly, all I can say is duh lol. There is an entrance to the parking lot in the way, but you say that a change there is already in the works. It is just my opinion that they should have gotten the ball rolling on having a real expansion area on the park sooner rather than later. Once they get there the land will need to be prepped just like the land underneath all of their parks, hotels, and everything else they have built there.

The obstacles in which you speak are all Disney owned. The main roads, while being owned by Disney, are on the other side of the park from what I am referring. If they alter the perimeter then the perimeter road would need to be altered accordingly, all I can say is duh lol. There is an entrance to the parking lot in the way, but you say that a change there is already in the works. It is just my opinion that they should have gotten the ball rolling on having a real expansion area on the park sooner rather than later. Once they get there the land will need to be prepped just like the land underneath all of their parks, hotels, and everything else they have built there.
I understand it is all Disney owned, but it is still a lot to do to move roads, change entrances to the park/parking lot (DHS really needs a parking garage tbh) and do everything that needs to be done before they can even think about touching that land.

On the positive side though, as I said, plans are in place to get all of that done.

I understand it is all Disney owned, but it is still a lot to do to move roads, change entrances to the park/parking lot (DHS really needs a parking garage tbh) and do everything that needs to be done before they can even think about touching that land.

On the positive side though, as I said, plans are in place to get all of that done.

That's good. There is a massive amount of acreage there and realistically it would only be a small fraction of it if they do expand in the future. Like I said they would not need to touch the main roads, only roads that are part of DHS.

That's good. There is a massive amount of acreage there and realistically it would only be a small fraction of it if they do expand in the future. Like I said they would not need to touch the main roads, only roads that are part of DHS.
The cheaper route is to replace an existing attraction that takes up a huge chunk of space...not sure if you've been to HS recently, but there is a lot of stuff that needs to be replaced and remodeled before we can talk about expanding into uncharted territory, aka across the street

The cheaper route is to replace an existing attraction that takes up a huge chunk of space...not sure if you've been to HS recently, but there is a lot of stuff that needs to be replaced and remodeled before we can talk about expanding into uncharted territory, aka across the street
Well, they are in the beginning stages at least of a larger park improvement project. With AiE closed, Sounds Dangerous theatre only used for movie previews and now BLT closing (and possibly Lights, Motors, Action as well), the park simply can't continue to operate with not only such minimal attractions, but such a low capacity.

I do believe change is coming, I just don't know we will see the end product (including Star Wars) until around 2019-2020 unfortunately.

They almost HAVE to expand here. This isn't Epcot where it's a big wide open park with lots of things to see and experience outside of rides. A big empty plot like that WILL go noticed and it's not even designed well for special events like places at epcot like WoL or some of the other buildings.

In other words, I just don't see that happening. I see expansion on the Pixar area with demo starting January 2015.

I think something will go there (the little Toy Story play area) but it wouldn't shock me if the land went unused for years.

How many times did I say I was not talking about across the street? What can I say it is a tiny crappy park, and my opinion is they should change that.

I think something will go there (the little Toy Story play area) but it wouldn't shock me if the land went unused for years.

I have got to agree with NBT on this side though, the park is too tiny and crappy for huge closed attractions to go unnoticed very long.

i havent been on the tour in years...but I remember going on it many many years ago when it was a hour plus tour.

I kind of miss the idea that MGM and Universal Orlando were "real working studios". Those days are long gone, but as a kid I used to think these were more then just theme parks.

I agree too, it just wouldn't shock me if Disney sat on the land. This IS Disney we are talking about.
I think they will wait a bit to get going with demo/new construction... however, the BLT does have a lot of props and things that need to find a new home now. I just wonder about costuming/sets back there. I'm assuming they'll just keep it there as it's tucked back there pretty far, but if they did move it, that would be a huge project in itself.

Not to mention spend outlandishly to outsource the actual unscrewing and storage of said light bulb..only to have the light bulb come back in the new attraction 5 years from now as an homage to the previous attraction that no one really notices.

How many times did I say I was not talking about across the street? What can I say it is a tiny crappy park, and my opinion is they should change that.

You talked of expansion..to expand the park would need to cross 'a road' of some kind or re-route..I believe that is what they are working toward in the future..but..you never know..At least they are noticing the Backlot Tour is old news

Guys... why complain about the BLT leaving? It was a shell of it's former self and was a HUGE waste of space. While technically whatever goes in it's place is a "replacement", imo it's an expansion as the land will be put to much better use.

I can say that without a doubt right now, without knowing what will replace it, because the BLT was such a waste. ANYTHING there is better than the BLT taking up the amount of space it did and there really being no point for it anymore. Nothing has happened production wise in the park since Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear, etc were created there.

You talked of expansion..to expand the park would need to cross 'a road' of some kind or re-route..I believe that is what they are working toward in the future..but..you never know..At least they are noticing the Backlot Tour is old news

Just saying when y'all act like it would be ridiculous when we all agree it is something that will probably happen just further in the future. Obviously a road that is a part of that park is a different story then a main artery for the resort.

Guys... why complain about the BLT leaving? It was a shell of it's former self and was a HUGE waste of space. While technically whatever goes in it's place is a "replacement", imo it's an expansion as the land will be put to much better use.

I can say that without a doubt right now, without knowing what will replace it, because the BLT was such a waste. ANYTHING there is better than the BLT taking up the amount of space it did and there really being no point for it anymore. Nothing has happened production wise in the park since Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear, etc were created there.

Yea it was on the way out anyways. Maybe I should have complained about this before the car stunt show went in. :lol:

There is a lot in the air for this park, let's hope they actually do turn it around. It already feels so mismashed, but I guess it would take a couple big projects to fix that.