Backlot Tour to close September 27 | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Backlot Tour to close September 27

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The good thing is it does feel like they are starting the process of turning it around though. It just may take awhile.

I went to ride BLT for the last time today, it was down. I heard the ride got evacuated as a chunk of theming fell off catastrophe canyon. Does anyone know any more?

Just saying when y'all act like it would be ridiculous when we all agree it is something that will probably happen just further in the future. Obviously a road that is a part of that park is a different story then a main artery for the resort.
I don't think it is ridiculous...just very far away...unfortunately how Disney treats HS it could be after our kids are through college

Just saying when y'all act like it would be ridiculous when we all agree it is something that will probably happen just further in the future. Obviously a road that is a part of that park is a different story then a main artery for the resort.
You are probably thinking of the wrong road. The road that would need to be moved is not in any way a "main artery" for the resort. It is a back entrance to DHS, which with a little effort and motivation, can be moved quite easily.

Once that road is moved, there's really nothing that would stop them from being able to use that land. Allow me to visualize this:

BLTexpansionland1_zpsde60b849.jpg

Red = BLT/LMA... Lots of potential for new attractions
Blue = Back entrance from the highway into DHS parking lot
Pink = Potential expansion land for both the park and parking lot once the road is re-routed

Obviously it is looking way down the road before we see any of the pink land used, but I do think it will eventually happen.

Last edited:
Thats a lot of land to only be taken up by a large playground. I'm thinking SW land will be crammed in there as well.

I've read on other sites that the land circled above is land that is not readily usable and would be difficult to develop due to water problems.

You are probably thinking of the wrong road. The road that would need to be moved is not in any way a "main artery" for the resort. It is a back entrance to DHS, which with a little effort and motivation, can be moved quite easily.

Once that road is moved, there's really nothing that would stop them from being able to use that land. Allow me to visualize this:

BLTexpansionland1_zpsde60b849.jpg

Red = BLT/LMA... Lots of potential for new attractions
Blue = Back entrance from the highway into DHS parking lot
Pink = Potential expansion land for both the park and parking lot once the road is re-routed

Obviously it is looking way down the road before we see any of the pink land used, but I do think it will eventually happen.

This is what I was saying NBT. Changing World Drive would be a big hassle because of the grade separated interchanges at both ends of the park. But I tried pointing out I was talking about the other direction, where moving the entrance would just involve moving the entrance. Inside the area surrounded by main arteries is more unused acreage than what the park sits on. But realistically they could not use all of it, and I am talking about even less than what is scribbled in pink.

I do understand the park is currently a mess, it is just my opinion that they should have never let it get that way and should have already been working on an expansion of the footprint. I do like the idea of the studio tour (even a fake one lol) much better than how it actually was.

This is what I was saying NBT. Changing World Drive would be a big hassle because of the grade separated interchanges at both ends of the park. But I tried pointing out I was talking about the other direction, where moving the entrance would just involve moving the entrance. Inside the area surrounded by main arteries is more unused acreage than what the park sits on. But realistically they could not use all of it, and I am talking about even less than what is scribbled in pink.

I do understand the park is currently a mess, it is just my opinion that they should have never let it get that way and should have already been working on an expansion of the footprint. I do like the idea of the studio tour (even a fake one lol) much better than how it actually was.
Yes, I understand it would be a hassle.

But what I am saying is that as of right now, there are plans to change that entrance starting within the next few years. So they ARE thinking about it. That was my only point.

I've read on other sites that the land circled above is land that is not readily usable and would be difficult to develop due to water problems.
The land in the pink? oh yeah, that's pretty much all wetlands, would definitely need to be stabilized greatly before anything could be done. Would be very costly, but i'm just saying it's been talked about.

Yes, I understand it would be a hassle.

But what I am saying is that as of right now, there are plans to change that entrance starting within the next few years. So they ARE thinking about it. That was my only point.

I was just clarifying what I had said previously as you seemed to misunderstand what I was meaning. Not arguing, just making sure we are on the same page.

I am not sure what to think about rumors about that land though. I mean we know it is wetland, but there are many different levels. And I know I have heard many conflicting rumors about different aspects of their land. It'll be a big deal no matter what, but how big of a big deal? lol.

I was just clarifying what I had said previously as you seemed to misunderstand what I was meaning. Not arguing, just making sure we are on the same page.

I am not sure what to think about rumors about that land though. I mean we know it is wetland, but there are many different levels. And I know I have heard many conflicting rumors about different aspects of their land. It'll be a big deal no matter what, but how big of a big deal? lol.
Oh, I know you weren't arguing lol

And Disney did recently (as in a month or two ago) file some permits to reclaim some of the wetlands around property. Not saying it means anything for here, but it does mean that they are definitely thinking about doing something somewhere.

TSPL will take over that courtyard/preshow/load area.

Star Wars will be either in backstage areas behind ST or across the street. Everything i've been told is it's not replacing Echo Lake.

Star Wars will be either in backstage areas behind ST or across the street. Everything i've been told is it's not replacing Echo Lake.
I've heard the parade building may go for Star Wars expansion.

They can probably build another one over in the Backlot space to replace it. The park may not currently have a daily parade, but it does have seasonal motorcades or things like what they did during the Frozen event this summer. Besides, they will need another parade barn should they ever create another proper daily parade for the park.

Won't be the first time Disney has 'swapped' wetlands (Planting some in the nearby farmland they bought, and using it). And I don;t think that it requires work to stabilize the wetlands holds them back. After all, Disney World phase I was built in a swamp :)

Won't be the first time Disney has 'swapped' wetlands (Planting some in the nearby farmland they bought, and using it). And I don;t think that it requires work to stabilize the wetlands holds them back. After all, Disney World phase I was built in a swamp :)

You have to realize that there are different types of wetlands. Some are easier to work with than others. So it depends on the type of wetlands that sits behind DHS and whether those are easier or harder to work with. Not all Wetlands/swamps are created equal.

Ugh, I have seen TSPL in Paris and I'm not excited for it to come to Florida. They are 3 super low capacity rides with short ride times (so you wait an hour for RC Racer, and the ride lasts 30 seconds).

You have to realize that there are different types of wetlands. Some are easier to work with than others. So it depends on the type of wetlands that sits behind DHS and whether those are easier or harder to work with. Not all Wetlands/swamps are created equal.

Agreed. Changing the land usage designation is one thing, they'll still need to relocate the water. Where I live is actually nature preserve, and I can tell you first hand the importance of a well thought out plan for diverting water (as I swim to my car after a hard rain LOL). So the big question is how much water we are talking about. But there would still be a couple hundred acres right there where the water can be diverted.

Also the parade building being mentioned, is that right behind the existing SW attractions?

Ugh, I have seen TSPL in Paris and I'm not excited for it to come to Florida. They are 3 super low capacity rides with short ride times (so you wait an hour for RC Racer, and the ride lasts 30 seconds).
Don't get completely caught up in TSPL coming to FL just yet. That was largely a suggestion of a possible replacement by a blogger that got taken way out of hand.

Plus, a permit for Soundstage 1 has been filed for "Project 3 - DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation", with a major contractor on the job (the one the use for all of their big projects recently - Whiting Turner) and the permit doesn't expire for 2 years. And all rumors of a third TSMM track seem to have been squashed... nothing to back it up so far.

So maybe, just maybe we could actually be getting a ride in there? Or who knows, it could be something we don't give a damn about. Maybe it's a museum to house all the props from BLT. Either way, it seems like they're finally doing something.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the parade building being mentioned, is that right behind the existing SW attractions?
yeah, looking at a map again, I believe it is pretty much right behind Star tours... which is why the parade routes through there. It's on the chopping block as I mentioned, although I assume another one would be built elsewhere.

Last edited:
From a trusted source Lee over on Magic...

According to Martin, Tom Fitz and some suits are at Stage one right now. With plans.

Edit: Add to that....Skipper John (Lasseter), Staggs, Meg, George...

Considering that according to Disney it took $30 million just to build the drainage to get the land from being underwater 8 months of the year, I think this wetlands would be a little easier :)