Becoming an Employee at the Parks | Inside Universal Forums

Becoming an Employee at the Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

violarum

V.I.P. Member
Oct 5, 2009
peregrine woods
- Introduction -

As some of you know (and have congratulated me for it), as of this upcoming Saturday, I will become an official Cast Member at Disney's Magic Kingdom! Regardless of the information provided by the Company, I was still very lost in regards to multiple aspects within the hiring process. I kept wishing there was an online guide for people like me so that I wouldn't show up with wrong documents or offensive attire, or whatever else that could have gotten in the way of me landing the job. Therefore, I am creating this thread for people to both ask and inform others regarding the hiring process at the parks.

I'm going to be updating this post specifically as I continue through the hiring process up until I start officially working without a trainer at Magic Kingdom, so if you want to follow along, it'll all be right here!

A side note: Please DO NOT post information here that is confidential or voids your contract with any of the parks' policies. This is a thread for helping, not insider information. We have other ones for that. :lol:

So, without further ado:

- Becoming a Disney Cast Member -

:ears: Step 1: Online Application

Disney's application is very similar to the other parks' applications. It's online, requires a bit of your time, and will ask you any and all pre-employment questions that are necessary for an interview. To search for any current positions, visit this link to get started. Note: check constantly if your desired position is not there - the jobs on the list can change every day.

Once your application is received, you should be getting an email very soon afterwards for the 'online interview' which is essentially a questionnaire in which you describe yourself as a person and potential employee. The questionnaire took me around half an hour and it is timed to ensure that you're paying attention. Be honest and think strategically.

If your online interview goes well, you will get an email soon after for you to schedule an in-person interview! I got my email the same day as my online interview. It can be very, very fast depending on how badly your position is needed. Once you've get your email, you're probably going to have to wait anywhere from one week to a month for the nearest available interview. Use this time wisely to work on your etiquette and wardrobe choices, and comply well with the Disney Look for a better aesthetic appeal. Included in the references below are the standards for the Disney Look from the Company website.

:ears: Step 2: Interview

This is your moment to prove yourself ready and able to be easily hired. Be ready, calm, and happy. Be compliant with the Disney Look (included below). Recognize the Four Keys (in order): Safety, Courtesy, Show, and Efficiency - it'll benefit you if you know these from the get-go.

Definitely arrive early for your interview (and everything from here on out for that matter :lol:). While your recruiter won't notice until they come to take you to their office, it will benefit you psychologically. The waiting room at the Casting Center is very comfortable and encouraging, but it won't do you well if you're running late.

Once you greet your interviewer (with a comfortable SMILE, please), your interview has begun. Make small talk whenever it feels comfortable to do so. In the office, you'll just grab a seat and get started. Some of the questions may include

• "Why do you want to work for the Company?"
  • "Give me an example of when you [insert a positive work-related experience here]."
  • "Describe your work experience and what you did within each position."

This will resound within your recruiter, and may influence their decision. If everything runs smoothly, your recruiter will ask about your open days, and they may even give you options from which to choose (I was either going to get placed in Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom. We all know how this ended. :lol:)

Once you're given an option, you will get the formal (and faintly theatrical) job offer! Accept, and you're now officially hired by the Company. Yay for you!

:ears: Step 3: Onboarding

Once you're done with the interview and you've accepted the job offer, you have begun the Onboarding process. You will fill out and sign two legal papers, and you'll eventually be called up to the front desk, where they will provide you with a New Hire Paperwork guide and the time/date for your Onboarding appointment.

When you get home, you will be greeted with an onslaught of emails. Hooray! This part was the most confusing. Basically, you'll submit paperwork digitally and speed up your Onboarding appointment with the amount of work you get done. If you have a question, you don't have to finish everything right then and there. Wait until your appointment, and they'll help you out. The online paperwork will include providing pertinent information, submitting your I-9 and W-2, setting up Direct Deposit, virtually signing after reading, et cetera.

Once you get to your appointment for Onboarding, you will get your New Hire brochure and the date/time of your Traditions class! Keep this brochure for Traditions. You'll then get your fingerprints scanned, your ID photo taken, and your legal information confirmed. They will also implant a tracking chip on you to track your every move.

Just kidding! :lol:

(Kind of.)

Anyways, now you're done with all the legal stuff! You're almost there! (Like me currently!)

:ears: Step 4: Traditions at the Disney University [Coming Soon]

:ears: Step 5: Training [Coming Soon]

:ears: Quick References and Links:

- Currently Available Positions in Florida

[LINK]

- The Disney Look

Because every detail counts.

At Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, we've become famous for our friendly, classic appearance. This look is not a coincidence, but a result of our cast members' support of the Appearance Standards, or as we call it, the Disney Look.

The Disney Look is a classic look that is clean, natural, polished and professional, and avoids "cutting edge" trends or extreme styles. It is designed with our costumed and non-costumed cast members in mind. Our themed costumed cast members are a critical part of enhancing the experience of our Disney show, and our non-costumed cast members also play an important role as representatives of the Disney brand. Regardless of the position you hold with us, when you take pride in your appearance, you become a role model for those around you, and you convey the attitude of excellence that has become synonymous with the Disney name.
The Disney Look includes but is not limited to, the following requirements:

Male and Female

Body Alteration

Intentional body alteration or modification for the purpose of achieving a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to: visible tattoos, brands, body piercing (other than traditional ear piercing for women), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth filing, earlobe expansion and disfiguring skin implants. Tattoos must be discreetly and completely covered at all times. Jewelry, spacers, retainers, or plugs are not permitted in any body piercing, including non-visible piercings, while working.

Eye Wear

The frames and lenses of both prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses should be a conservative color and style-free from contrasting logos. Eyeglasses and sunglasses should not detract from the costume or contradict the theme of the show.

Male

• Hair
    • Hair must be neatly cut on the back and sides, forming a smooth, symmetrical appearance so that it does not extend beyond or cover any part of the ears or the shirt collar. The overall style must be neat, natural and balanced proportionally.
    • A shaved head is permitted, as well as a very short military-style cut. Shaving of the eyebrows is not permitted
    • Conservative braided hairstyles for men without beads or ornamentation are permitted. They must be styled above the ears and cut above the collar and be neatly braided close to the scalp in straight rows.
    • Tucking hair behind the ears, or pinning or tucking it under a hat to conceal an unacceptable hairstyle will not be permitted.
    • Extreme or bi-level styles are not permitted.
    • Hair products may be used to create a soft, natural hairstyle within these guidelines.
    • Artificial hair is permitted if it looks natural and meets all of the above requirements.
    • The Disney Look does not permit extremes in dyeing, bleaching or coloring. If the hair color is changed, it must be natural looking and well-maintained. Subtle highlighting or frosting is permitted, as long as it creates a uniform look over the whole head and meets all of the previously listed guidelines.
  • Face
    • For all male Cast Members, a fully grown in, well-maintained mustache, beard, or goatee is permitted, unless otherwise restricted by regulatory codes and standards.
    • Facial hair must be neatly trimmed and may not present an unkempt appearance. Extreme styles are prohibited.
    • All facial hair (beards, goatees and mustaches) must create an overall neat, polished and professional look.
    • All facial hair must be fully grown in, neatly groomed and well maintained at no longer than a quarter of an inch in length. Mustaches may extend below the corners of the mouth to meet with the facial beard.
    • Shaping the mustache or beard to a particular style is not permitted. Mustaches (without lower facial hair) must not extend onto or over the upper lip and must extend to the corners of the mouth, but not beyond or below the corners.
    • Cast Members without a mustache, beard, or goatee are expected to be clean-shaven every day.
    • For clarification on whether a mustache, beard or goatee is acceptable, please consult your area leader or contact the Cast Image and Appearance team.
  • Fingernails
    • Clean, presentable fingernails are a must. Fingernails should not extend beyond the tip of the finger.

Female

• Hair
    • Hair should be neatly combed and arranged in a classic, easy-to-maintain style. Extreme styles are not permitted
    • Hair below shoulder length should be confined if it falls forward over the face while working.
    • Conservative braided hairstyles without beads or ornamentation are permitted.
    • Hair products may be used to create a soft, natural hairstyle within these guidelines.
    • Shaving of the head or any portion of the head or eyebrows is not permitted.
    • Artificial hair is permitted if it looks natural and meets all of the above requirements.
    • The Disney Look does not permit extremes in dyeing, bleaching or coloring. If the hair color is changed, it must be natural looking and well-maintained. Subtle highlighting or frosting is permitted, as long as it creates a uniform look over the whole head and meets all of the previously listed guidelines.
  • Make-up:
    • If makeup is worn, it should be applied in a blended manner and in appropriate, neutral colors.
    • Fingernails should be clean. If polish is used, it should be an appropriate, neutral color. This includes deeper, richer shades of polish. Polishes that are not permitted include: black, gold, silver, multicolored or neon. Charms or decals on fingernails are not permitted. Fingernails should not exceed one-fourth of an inch (approximately 6 mm) beyond the fingertip.

Any questions regarding a medical accommodation or religious exception may be addressed to:
Disneyland® Resort (in California): Disneyland Casting at DL.Recruiter01@Disney.com. Walt Disney World® Resort (in Florida): Employee Relations Department at wdwemployeerealtions-eastcoast@email.disney.com.

Good Judgment and Stage Presence
As with all of your duties and responsibilities as a cast member, you are expected to demonstrate professionalism and good judgment at all times related to your appearance. For this reason, if you are ever in doubt about the appropriateness of your appearance, please keep in mind that anything that could be considered distracting or not in the best interest of our Disney show will not be permitted.
No matter where you work or what your role is, anytime you are in a public area, you are on stage. Your attitude and performance are direct reflections on the quality of our Disney show. Often it's the seemingly little things that detract from our guests' enjoyment – chewing gum, having poor posture, using a cellular phone or frowning. Of course, smoking and eating on stage are also strictly prohibited. All of this adds up to one of the most important aspects of your role in our show: good stage presence.

The training for a first time CM is a lot of fun and interesting. Have fun. I did not see it here as I skimmed but do you know your role yet?

Thanks! I totally will. My role is Quick Service F&B at Magic Kingdom East.

I'm also going to apply internally for Attractions as soon as I'm allowed/it's available. :lol:

Nice! I worked Custodial South. The east is typically called The Easy East. I found out it is very true for Custodial when having friends over there compare tasks. I am not sure how it goes for Quick Service but that is awesome.

Ah, my friend got Custodial at AK! I love the concrete drawing thing y'all do. I hear that since I'm Outdoor, my only CM interaction will be with Custodial. It seems to be true, lol. Hopefully Easy East means being able to work some of Fantasyland!

One thing I like about the interview process at Disney is they don't do panel interviews at least from what I've heard and with me compared to other parks. I hate panel interviews with a passion.

One thing I like about the interview process at Disney is they don't do panel interviews at least from what I've heard and with me compared to other parks. I hate panel interviews with a passion.

They do panels for a lot of Professional Internships and even internal postings for some of the upper end hourly positions. I doubt they do them for outside applicants, though. I had a friend go through them twice for PIs and she hated them. I've never had to do one anywhere I've worked, thankfully.

Congrats Violarum!

Yeah I figured they would for professional positions. Consider yourself for never being in a panel interview. Lol

Thanks to Johnny (See you at your FSPA convention trip with Claudia? Yes? :thumbs:) and maxairmike, and sure thing, Scarletwebslingr! (Right after I finish training and Traditions of course, lol.)

Also, @Jakemeister, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be one of those kids that loves it every single day. I'm a well-grounded and quiet person outside of the parks, but lord knows the extent to which I morph into a giddy child when I'm in them! :lol: Apart from that, it's always been a dream of mine to work at the parks for my first job. I think and hope that MK will grant me the experience I've been seeking for so long.

Like I said, I'm always around (and actually live across the street from the MK cast parking lot). I teach during most week but let me know if you're bored and free and we can meet up!

- - - Updated - - -

...I was Part-Time, still am. Still almost went crazy. If your line of work has positions in resorts, I recommend it.

I'm part time in entertainment so I'm global. Being global helps a looooooot. I'm also approved in DCEs so I can work anywhere on or off property if someone hires us out. I did a Christmas parade in Groveland along with Shaq two years ago...stuff like that is super cool. I also am sometimes sent to the Give Kids Village...also cool but kind of heart-breaking.

Yes!! I don't go to school with Claudia anymore but I just moved to Orlando. I'll try my best to make it to FSPA! I'll let you know when I'm at Disney. Aiming to go soon.

Both of you better be there the day we're at Disney. I miss you dorks (though, let's me honest, the one I haven't seen in two freaking years takes priority).

Anyway, this post makes my heart happy and it's so useful and I'm going to put it to good use. Sooner than later, let's hope.

@Johnny, just let me know when you'll be there! My shifts are supposed to be Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. :)

@Claudia, you'd better know for a fact that I'll be there on your FSPA day! If I'm not working, then I'll be there as a guest alongside you. Either way, I'm going to see you, and we're going to get emotional, and we're probably going to watch Wishes together and cry. It's a plan. :thumbs:

@Scarlet, you've got it! I'll PM you when I'll be headed to the parks on a day off. Your location is really awesome, too. I'm jealous. :lol: